Friedman: Ristolainen turned down extension in Philly.... Moved at Deadline?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I bet that he'll want to sign a prove-it deal as a bottom-pair guy for a great team. This seems like a guy that wants to finally play for a contender.

He's still getting a big deal. He turned down 6 years $38m here, originally reported because he thinks playing for a playoff team will raise his value. An as a right handed big guy, he will get it.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Maybe conditional 1st, I feel like it's hard to demand one flat out right now for him, especially with the market having guys like Gio, Lindholm, Klingberg, Chiarot, Manson, Chychrun, Leddy, etc on it

Nah. We'll get a 1st outright despite those names.

His size and physicality will make a GM go nuts come playoff time. It's a bill of goods GMs can't stop from being sold.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
6.4 OVER 3 years, so 2.13 per. The Flyers are crazy, but they aren’t that crazy.

Personally I’d love to see what he does as a bottom pairing guy for a contender. Bogosian looked like trash for the Sabres, then was suddenly serviceable for the lightning. Wonder if Risto could do the same. Either way, unless he’s ass in the locker room I’d like to see him get in a better situation- he’s not good, his development got stunted and he never figured out the outlet game at all, but he just wants to win and seems to care more than a lot of guys.
honestly he might do really well as an oiler on the 3rd pairing with neimo. would pretty well be a bash bros line.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I mean, that’s not true. He’s not very good and he was over drafted but he’s an NHL player. He’s just not a particularly great one.

He wasnt overdrafted, just ruined by Sabres

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Crazy how many fans wanted risto ahead of nurse at the draft. Look how it is turning out. Risto is basically an NHL journeyman. Nothing but a bottom pairing guy now.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

His size and physicality will make a GM go nuts come playoff time. It's a bill of goods GMs can't stop from being sold.
What has he done to warrant a first? I watched tonight. It is so sad he is turning into a nothing D man. I would not even offer Samorukov for risto.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
The guy has played 5 AHL playoff games in 9 years since coming to North America

not pinning that entirely on him

just thinking he is built for playoff hockey is a bold claim.
He doesnt play structured hockey and constantly finishes his check almost always taking himself completely out of the play.
And he sucks 5v5 both offensively and defensively
Yup. And the ask in this neck of the woods is a first round pick for that. Go figure.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The fact that people cant tell if its 6.4 per or over sums up Ristolainens NHL career pretty nicely.
He plays like a 6.4 over 3 years player but apparently is viewed as a 6.4 per year player by some GMs
Yeah, while the idea of Risto making 6.4m a year on a team I root for is high grade nightmare fuel that’s going to be what the alleged rumored extension is referring to. (If it’s supposed to be realistic.)

Risto’a coming off of a 6 year/5.4m deal, he’s not signing a multi-year deal which pays him 2.13m a year. Tucker f***ing Poolman got a 4 year/2.5m deal after a season with one single point (an assist) in 39 regular season games.

Risto’s only 27, he might not break the bank or anything but he will likely do ok. If the offers are underwhelming he can sign a short deal with a contender to try to up his value but I assume someone will pay the guy.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
I know +/- isn't the be all end all stat, but man this guy has been on some bad teams, he must be close to the all time leaders at -171
I got curious, so I looked it up: The worst career +/- in NHL history is Bob Stewart's -257. Source: NHL.com

upload_2022-3-2_10-5-50.png

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This guy turned down $6.4 million/year? Flyers fans must be parading in the streets. In no sane world is he worth anywhere near that. It's mind-bottling he turned that down.

Reactions: kp61c

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Crazy how many fans wanted risto ahead of nurse at the draft. Look how it is turning out. Risto is basically an NHL journeyman. Nothing but a bottom pairing guy now.

I disagree, he might not never live up to his draft position but, he is not some bottom 6 "trash" NHL:er.
Its mostly motivational issue, with playing for shitty teams, it happens.

He is still young(ish), 27, for his size skates really well, one of (if not the) strongest player in the NHL,
and one cannot forget that in the offensive zone, surprisingly skilled.

Yes, his own zone defending is very questionable at best, however, that too is motivation based.

Gets to play for a contender, lets say #4 role, with PK and on and off PP time, i'd say go for it,
he can be very useful and valuable key piece for any play-offs team

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes, his own zone defending is very questionable at best, however, that too is motivation based.
You think positioning and hockey sense are motivation-based? Sounds iffy considering Risto never found the motivation to improve it.

The only way he gets even close to a contender is if he accepts the bottom pair money.

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This guy turned down $6.4 million/year? Flyers fans must be parading in the streets. In no sane world is he worth anywhere near that. It's mind-bottling he turned that down.

I imagine he's had contact from some GMs who are interested and he feels he can match it at a more competitive club. Thank the heavens for that too.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I disagree, he might not never live up to his draft position but, he is not some bottom 6 "trash" NHL:er.
Its mostly motivational issue, with playing for shitty teams, it happens.

He is still young(ish), 27, for his size skates really well, one of (if not the) strongest player in the NHL,
and one cannot forget that in the offensive zone, surprisingly skilled.

Gets to play for a contender, lets say #4 role, with PK and on and off PP time, i'd say go for it,
he can be very useful and valuable key piece for any play-offs team

As bad as his defensive coverage can be, it’s his outlet play that drives me crazy. It’s like he can’t skate and make a pass at the same time, it’s crazy to witness. Dude is the hockey equivalent of not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time. If he just missed an assignment every now and then it’d be more forgivable, he’d be a mean #4 with offensive upside, but as is he gets the puck and just freezes like a deer in headlights.

Crazy also how he never takes coaching, just goes out and plays how he thinks he should play. But that's all on Buffalo, right? Not on the player at all... nooooo.

Eh, I think his first couple years really did do a number on him. Playing top minutes and constantly having to chip it out becomes a hardwired habit. I think a dude can listen and still resort to the same mistakes, and I think he’s the clearest example of that. He might try to take a coach’s advice, but as soon as a forechecker approaches it seems old habits take over. I don’t think it’s an indictment on everything Buffalo, but in his case- ya, those bad years where he was overused seem to have caused damage that his hockey iq (or lack thereof) can’t overcome.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I'd be surprised. How many playoff teams need a RD, with his "qualities", and have the cap space for him, at even 50%?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I'd be surprised. How many playoff teams need a RD, with his "qualities", and have the cap space for him, at even 50%?
Takes only one and there is always friendly Arizona to pick up the other 50%. 1 injury to a rd all it takes to create a sudden need.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
Well...it really can be.

Everything what a hockey player does comes from between ears.
90% preparation = 10% result.

That's the actual problem with Risto. All the mistakes he makes are because of what's "between the ears." He has virtually no hockey sense and for whatever reason, has not figured out how to play properly at the NHL level. He roves around whenever he pleases, and takes himself out of position just for the sake of hitting someone. That's "between the ears" stuff, but it's not motivational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad