Friedman: Ristolainen turned down extension in Philly.... Moved at Deadline?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The scary thing is, for him to turn down that contract his agent must know he can get a fatter one in free agency.

Godspeed to whoever that team is.
I think he absolutely gets the bag in free agency. Look at the market for Tyler Myers when he went to FA. Big RHD with physicality and an offensive touch get premium on the market

A team paying 6x6 for Risto would not surprise me

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think he absolutely gets the bag in free agency. Look at the market for Tyler Myers when he went to FA. Big RHD with physicality and an offensive touch get premium on the market

A team paying 6x6 for Risto would not surprise me

And we've regretted it everyday since :P hence my post.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m scared now. Fitz in NJ was rumoured to be after him before.
Devils have a massive need of RHD when/ if Subban walks and Severson contract up year after this (possibly traded this year or next year )
Fitz has been trying to build a big hulking blue line. Hopefully he can see though that all Risto can do is “be big”
I’m talking about Risto as a UFA by the way.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Risto would be an interesting offseason pickup for the Canes, for sure. No way in hell would I pick him up at the deadline, though, and then expect that he adjusts to a different playstyle in 2 months. That's asking for a disaster...

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He should do like Bogosian and take a low salary in exchange for the right opportunity.
6D on a cup contender for 1.000 and he'll turn his career around IMO

Nah - that's a bad idea. Risto isn't a bad defenseman, he just isn't a great one. Signing a "prove it" deal when he doesn't have to prove he can play is a terrible idea.

Under 4 million is probably more legitimate. He's probably not worth more than 3.5 mill, but 4 and under is reasonable. 6+ is not.

He’s not getting a 1st Back
Recoup a 2nd and blame it on the old GM lol

He'll definitely get a 1st back. No question.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm not even sure his value. But I wouldn't be opposed to adding him...think he does (infact) have some playoff potential. That contract year push will be on full display imo.

Sandin - Ristolainen be interesting.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
Nah - that's a bad idea. Risto isn't a bad defenseman, he just isn't a great one. Signing a "prove it" deal when he doesn't have to prove he can play is a terrible idea.

Under 4 million is probably more legitimate. He's probably not worth more than 3.5 mill, but 4 and under is reasonable. 6+ is not.

With 50% retained, hopefully, a comparable return that David Savard got back is not out of question (1st and 3rd). If the team acquiring Risto wants an additional 50% of the 50% retained taken off, they can pay the third team just like Tampa did last deadline with Detroit.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

So you think he is worth less than 3.5 mil yet will for sure get a 1st round pick back? Is kinda contradictory?
I would t mind him as a #5/6 IF he was strictly used as a #5/6. He would be good on the right side after Hamilton and Severson and would replace Subban I guess.
However that would probably not happen and the Devils will play him way too much and devils fans will be calling for his and Fitz’s head.
After thjniif about it , I wouldn’t hate him on the Devils is used the right way and not used in the top 2 pairings.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So you think he is worth less than 3.5 mil yet will for sure get a 1st round pick back? Is kinda contradictory?
I would t mind him as a #5/6 IF he was strictly used as a #5/6. He would be good on the right side after Hamilton and Severson and would replace Subban I guess.
However that would probably not happen and the Devils will play him way too much and devils fans will be calling for his and Fitz’s head.
After thjniif about it , I wouldn’t hate him on the Devils is used the right way and not used in the top 2 pairings.

No, I'm saying I think he's about 3.5 million in value realistically (not really less). He's a 2nd pairing guy with a lot of size and snarl. GMs *love* that and will definitely pay a 1st for it.

He's better than a 5/6 truthfully. Probably a #4.

With 50% retained, hopefully, a comparable return that David Savard got back is not out of question (1st and 3rd). If the team acquiring Risto wants an additional 50% of the 50% retained taken off, they can pay the third team just like Tampa did last deadline with Detroit.

I don't even think we'd need to retain to get a 1st back - but that'd guarantee it for sure.

Risto would be an interesting offseason pickup for the Canes, for sure. No way in hell would I pick him up at the deadline, though, and then expect that he adjusts to a different playstyle in 2 months. That's asking for a disaster...

You're not going to want to sign him in the offseason, unless you want to give more than 6.5 million a year to him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Flyers have to keep him I guess because they spent so much on him especially when you add the cost to ditch Gostisbehere. They wont get near to that at the deadline.

You never know. If they start next season healthy maybe Risto bounces back. But, I suppose theyll trade him if he wont re sign. They'd have to trade him at the deadline. No one is doing a sign and trade for him.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Flyers have to keep him I guess because they spent so much on him especially when you add the cost to ditch Gostisbehere. They wont get near to that at the deadline.

You never know. If they start next season healthy maybe Risto bounces back. But, I suppose theyll trade him if he wont re sign. They'd have to trade him at the deadline. No one is doing a sign and trade for him.

Ghost
Hagg
2021 1st
2022 2nd
2022 7th
2023 2nd

Has to be one of the worst examples of asset management of all-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad