Speculation: Ristolainen Trade Discussion - The Return

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Does anyone who's watched him play more than I have know why this is? Is he a perimeter player that shied away in the physicality of the playoffs? Was is a battle/intensity thing? Or was he simply unlucky?

I know very little about Ehlers other than that he's young and fast, I'd like to learn more about his game.
Ehlers' statline is an eyesore but they've faced some defensive stalwarts in STL, MIN, NAS, and VGK. We should be happy to offload Ristolainen for some speed and scoring on the wing that would actually help in getting us to the show in the first place.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Risto trade chatter on amongst the fanbase seems so eerily similar to the ROR discussions:

"Maybe we could get this awesome young vet that's not fully appreciated"
- Nikolaj Ehlers <-> Jaden Schwartz

"I would absolutely love this guy!"
- Kyle Connor <-> Robert Thomas

"Or this guy, wow can you imagine?!?"
- Patrick Laine <-> Jordan Kyrou

"I guess I'd be ok with him, but there better be other pieces coming back!"
- Andrew Copp <-> Robby Fabbri

"Maybe they'll also throw in this young promising kid that is being blocked behind more established vets"
- Jack Roslovic <-> Vincent Dunn

Does anyone else have that sinking feeling that we're going to get Appleton & Perreault?

Side note - Just a hunch but I think Girgs gets shipped off in the seemingly pending Risto trade.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The Risto trade chatter on amongst the fanbase seems so eerily similar to the ROR discussions:

"Maybe we could get this awesome young vet that's not fully appreciated"
- Nikolaj Ehlers <-> Jaden Schwartz

"I would absolutely love this guy!"
- Kyle Connor <-> Robert Thomas

"Or this guy, wow can you imagine?!?"
- Patrick Laine <-> Jordan Kyrou

"I guess I'd be ok with him, but there better be other pieces coming back!"
- Andrew Copp <-> Robby Fabbri

"Maybe they'll also throw in this young promising kid that is being blocked behind more established vets"
- Jack Roslovic <-> Vincent Dunn

Does anyone else have that sinking feeling that we're going to get Appleton & Perreault?

Side note - Just a hunch but I think Girgs gets shipped off in the seemingly pending Risto trade.

You forget the Risto leaving is addition by subtraction., he holds us back, he’s terrible, etc. I love then posters leaning into the amazing returns we’ll get for such a crappy player.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

If we trade Risto and Girgs for a decent minute-munching 40 point center, Botterrill's offseason moves make a lot more sense. I think you're right about the type of player we'd get though.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Ehlers always leaves me wanting more. He flies around the ice, plays in all 3 zones, seems to get to the right places but just doesn't seem to be able to convert. Gives me a very Afinogenov-y vibe in that you just keep waiting for him to break out and it never happens.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Ehlers always leaves me wanting more. He flies around the ice, plays in all 3 zones, seems to get to the right places but just doesn't seem to be able to convert. Gives me a very Afinogenov-y vibe in that you just keep waiting for him to break out and it never happens.

He's just as productive as Reinhart. I'd take another player like that. He gets shots on net, and he's got a solid shooting%. He's also a solid playmaker as well. I think he would be what Skinner is to Eichel for Reinhart. He's a much better Even Strength weapon than say Laine. Something that we need on this team. He has 72 goals, just like Jack Eichel (in 12 more games than Jack). Jack is at .35 goals/game where Ehlers is .30 goals/game overall.

He had a bad year last year, but he still scored 21 goals. His drop off came from the assist department.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Problem is -- outside of Jack, Sam, Skinner and Dahlin -- a lot of our pieces aren't worth a whole heck of a lot.

Risto probably has the next highest trade value, probably followed by Mitts and Cozens. After that? Ugh.

You can probably even take Skinner off that list. I doubt he has much trade value given his contract (moot point cause he won’t be getting traded but still).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If you can get Connor for Risto and a 1st, you trip over yourself saying yes to that. Connor's only 22 and his nose for the net is unreal. He's going to hit 40 very soon. Having pairs of Jack-Skinner and Sam-Connor on your top two lines would be incredible.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Welp, now that Montour's hand has been eaten by an alligator, they have to keep Ristolainen and play him with Scandella for 25 minutes a night. We may not like it, but they have no other choice.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Welp, now that Montour's hand has been eaten by an alligator, they have to keep Ristolainen and play him with Scandella for 25 minutes a night. We may not like it, but they have no other choice.
Kudos for making me both laugh and giving me serious anxiety about that possibility in a single post.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If you can get Connor for Risto and a 1st, you trip over yourself saying yes to that. Connor's only 22 and his nose for the net is unreal. He's going to hit 40 very soon. Having pairs of Jack-Skinner and Sam-Connor on your top two lines would be incredible.
It is a lot to give up for a winger plus having three big contracts tied up in wingers could hamstring us.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
If Montour is a broken hand, he's most likely out for at least the first couple weeks of the season.

Silver lining, now teams will know that Buffalo isn't going to just take the best offer we have on Risto before the season starts. We can be comfortable going into the season with Risto in the lineup and waiting for a good offer.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Botterill should be familiar with the concept of lottery protected pick after being schooled on it.
Which trade did he lose a lottery pick on? It's a serious question. The SJ pick was the Sharks pick between two draft years (both years they made the post-season, right?), and the Blues pick never got pushed due to lottery as they won the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad