Speculation: Ristolainen Trade Discussion - The Return

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
so just woke up from a dream where I was watching NHLNetwork and Girgensons had a Flames logo next to his name and they broke in with news of Risto being traded to the Stars for Faksa & a 2nd. Don't get mad at my subconcious lol

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Bob is saying Byfuglien is “mulling his future” and is currently on personal leave from the Jets. If he retires I wonder if Risto re enters as a trade candidate for Winnipeg.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Too bad that Faulk to Anaheim deal didn't happen because if he were off the table we'd have a lot of leverage over Winnipeg.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Too bad that Faulk to Anaheim deal didn't happen because if he were off the table we'd have a lot of leverage over Winnipeg.

If Faulk turned down Anaheim, I don't see how he agrees to a WPG trade. Probably no leverage lost.

Bob is saying Byfuglien is “mulling his future” and is currently on personal leave from the Jets. If he retires I wonder if Risto re enters as a trade candidate for Winnipeg.

If Buff actually retires, or pulls a Justin Williams, I have a hard time imagining what else WPG can do other than work out a Ristolainen trade. Doesn't mean Buffalo rips them off, but they would have to figure something out.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
If Faulk turned down Anaheim, I don't see how he agrees to a WPG trade. Probably no leverage lost.

If Buff actually retires, or pulls a Justin Williams, I have a hard time imagining what else WPG can do other than work out a Ristolainen trade. Doesn't mean Buffalo rips them off, but they would have to figure something out.

LeBrun is reporting that Winnipeg is on Faulk's approved list, so he wouldn't have to waive to go there. Must be a guy that really prefers winning to physical location.

Reactions: jc17 and Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They could go patchwork with cheaper options like a one year deal for Dan Girardi or trading for a guy like Casey Nelson or Mark Pysyk.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
They could also prefer Risto to Faulk because he's 3 years younger and has 3 more years under contract before UFA compared to Faulk after this season. At least that would be the hope

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They could also prefer Risto to Faulk because he's 3 years younger and has 3 more years under contract before UFA compared to Faulk after this season. At least that would be the hope

WPG seems to greatly prefer to trade for guys who have term left, so I imagine that's going to be our leverage with them. On the other hand, that salary is a on the high side and they're a budget conscious team...

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
With something like that, there wouldn't be a bunch of other stuff thrown in. I could easily see that being the final form of a deal.....MAYBE one smaller piece included.

That would be awesome.

Montour
Miller
Joker
Borgen
Bogo (eventually)

Still plenty of depth. I have no problem if Nelson shows well in a bigger role on the Jets. I still like the kid.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some players do want to play either closer to home or for a winner. Skinner reportedly turn down the interest from LA last year prior to the trade Buffalo. For everything that Los Angeles has going for it, that wasn’t enough to shift Jeff’s interest in the destinations. We’ve seen winning teams in rustbelt cities draw players: just look at the Detroit Red Wings for most of the 90s and 2000s. The Jets seem like they are very competitive and have an adoring fan base. It’s not hard to imagine playing for a winner in those circumstances makes it a lot easier been playing for a losing team.

It is interesting that Buffalo has so many RHD and Winnipeg seems to have such a big hole. If the deal is not around Risto, I would expect them to be asking after Nelson since his contract is so manageable and he’s shown well in third pairing use/roles for the Sabres. He could be a convenient plug-in for their third pair that allows them to retain a chunk of cap space for use elsewhere.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It is interesting that Buffalo has so many RHD and Winnipeg seems to have such a big hole. If the deal is not around Risto, I would expect them to be asking after Nelson since his contract is so manageable and he’s shown well in third pairing use/roles for the Sabres. He could be a convenient plug-in for their third pair that allows them to retain a chunk of cap space for use elsewhere.

As you get closer to the North Pole it becomes harder to keep right side dmen. It has to do with local gravitational effect and relative rotation of the earth. It did a number on Bogo's hips.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Ehlers has zero goals in 21 playoff games. That's such a turn off.

Does anyone who's watched him play more than I have know why this is? Is he a perimeter player that shied away in the physicality of the playoffs? Was is a battle/intensity thing? Or was he simply unlucky?

I know very little about Ehlers other than that he's young and fast, I'd like to learn more about his game.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Some players do want to play either closer to home or for a winner. Skinner reportedly turn down the interest from LA last year prior to the trade Buffalo. For everything that Los Angeles has going for it, that wasn’t enough to shift Jeff’s interest in the destinations. We’ve seen winning teams in rustbelt cities draw players: just look at the Detroit Red Wings for most of the 90s and 2000s. The Jets seem like they are very competitive and have an adoring fan base. It’s not hard to imagine playing for a winner in those circumstances makes it a lot easier been playing for a losing team.

...or they can take Scandella for cheap since they don't seem to be hung up on keeping D on their strong side.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I just cannot believe that Winnipeg, supposed Cup contenders but now having lost Trouba, Myers, Chiarot and Byfuglien, and Buffalo, having been absolute trash for several years and overflowing with RHD, cannot figure out how to make a f***ing deal work.

Reactions: yahhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad