Speculation: Ristolainen Trade Discussion - The Return

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What do you expect the return to be?

I expect a 2-3rd rd pick plus a good prospect. By good prospect I mean one that considered a "sure thing" to play in the NHL

Risto to TB for 2nd rounder plus one of Taylor Raddysh, Alex Volkov, Mitchell Stephens.

If the objective is to land a 2nd line center who's already in the NHL, Botterill might have to get creative and do a 3 way deal involving more pieces. We call this the Darcy challenge.

Buffalo trades Keith Ballard to Colorado for center Steve Reinprecht
Buffalo trades Rhett Warriner and Reinprecht to Calgary for Chris Drury and Steve Begin

A good GM won't create a hole in order to fill a different hole. Botterill has prepared by acquiring Colin Miller and Henri Jokiharju. Hopefully Chiarelli gets the Wild job.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Honestly I'm not sure... seems like we've been getting top 4 D for change lately between Montour, Miller and Jokiharju... so I'm having a hard time thinking we're going to get the king's ransom for Risto. Though I do think teams may value Risto more than those other three... at least until Jokiharju gets a more established NHL role. Maybe a (lottery protected) 1st and a proven top 6 forward (probably winger) with term left from somewhere, tops? I'm not familiar with the rest of the league well enough to throw names or potential trade partners out there though.

Also, maybe my brain is just wired wrong today but that topic title made me think a Risto trade had happened and this was to discuss the actual return... not just more speculation. I immediately looked for a Confirmed Trade/sticky thread. :laugh: Maybe needs a 'Speculation' tag.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The biggest org need is C and RW.

At this point, we're probably getting some salary back. Less than half the teams have room for a Risto sized cap hit (5.4M).

Maybe something like Risto+ one the unwashed forward masses (Sobotka/Wilson/Sheary) for Shore + one of Case/Sprong+ 2nd from the Ducks.

Certainly pretty underwhelming return IMHO

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Honestly I'm not sure... seems like we've been getting top 4 D for change lately between Montour, Miller and Jokiharju... so I'm having a hard time thinking we're going to get the king's ransom for Risto. Though I do think teams may value Risto more than those other three... at least until Jokiharju gets a more established NHL role. Maybe a (lottery protected) 1st and a proven top 6 forward (probably winger) with term left from somewhere, tops? I'm not familiar with the rest of the league well enough to throw names or potential trade partners out there though.

Also, maybe my brain is just wired wrong today but that topic title made me think a Risto trade had happened and this was to discuss the actual return... not just more speculation. I immediately looked for a Confirmed Trade/sticky thread. :laugh: Maybe needs a 'Speculation' tag.
I forgot we had that tag in this forum.

Reactions: Dreakon13

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Based on the fact that he hasn’t been traded yet, and the article, I’m expecting a bad return.

(Unless Botts holds strong and keeps him, which would then be no return)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Report: Sabres’ Ristolainen hints at wanting out of Buffalo

Ristolainen has three years left on a contract that has has a $5.4 million annual average value attached to it. Rumors have swirled when it comes to potential dance partners in any deal, including the Winnipeg Jets who lost Jacob Trouba, Tyler Myers and Ben Chiarot this summer.

But the Jets are a cash-strapped team that would have to move out another piece and isn’t likely to ship off a top forward to make way for 24-year-old right-shot d-man.

If the Jets aren't giving up a top forward, yet they need to move salary back, I wonder what the idea is around a trade that makes sense for both sides.

:dunno:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Report: Sabres’ Ristolainen hints at wanting out of Buffalo

If the Jets aren't giving up a top forward, yet they need to move salary back, I wonder what the idea is around a trade that makes sense for both sides.

:dunno:

The only semi-realistic return I've seen bandied about by media and fans is Roslovic + Perrault.

Roslovic is a young RW/C and has reportedly been unhappy with his role. The Athletic reported that he requested a trade in the past, although his former agent denied it. Perrault is a decent third liner but in decline. His 4m for two years would be to make the salaries even.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think we'll ultimately bundle Risto with another piece (decent pick, or a decent prospect/young player) for Kyle Connor.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Limited free cap and limited free contract slots for most teams, seems like Buffalo would wind up with cap return that might not be favorable.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm expecting the "ROR package" minus a 1st round pick and "cap dump" contract. So a B+ prospect, a 2nd Round pick, and salary cap hit in the form of a player with 1 or 2 years left. We would offset that with Hunwick being waived as well as Sobotka.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Predicting Risto + Smith for Roslovic + Perrault.

Underwhelming, yes. But unrealistic? I don't think so.

If the return is something like Roslovic, I expected Perrault would be coming back for cap reasons too. With our abundance of forwards, I could see them thinking Smith is expendable and Winnipeg wanting some cheap depth back.

Reactions: kundahlini

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think we'll ultimately bundle Risto with another piece (decent pick, or a decent prospect/young player) for Kyle Connor.

Risto would be the add in any trade for Connor. It would have to be Mittelstadt going with him for Winnipeg to consider.

Reactions: kundahlini

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think this will get done in early- or mid-September a la Pacioretty and Karlsson last year. I think teams are trying to take Botts to the cleaners - and who wouldn't after 7/1/18 - but he's learned his lesson and/or there are other considerations not at play this time around. He'll wait, but I ultimately think Risto's gone before training camp. The combination of Botts' post-draft non-answer answer about Risto's alleged trade demand, and this recent story, are telling.

Winnipeg is still in win-now mode, so I imagine if you want Connor, they're going to want someone like Reinhart coming with Risto. Then Winnipeg may have to add something, and then you start making the deal too big.

I tend to agree with the poster that the only deal that makes much sense with Winnipeg is the Roslovic/Perreault package - which I'd happily take by the way, as I think Roslovic is a future 2nd line player and Perreault provides short-term scoring depth, even if overpaid for what he brings.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If I'm going to make a prediction, I think he gets moved for a pretty good to good NHL player who is within a year or two of free agency, and a pretty good prospect (#4-#6 organizationally) who is not one of his organization's blue-chip guys. For example, if we're looking at Los Angeles, something like Tyler Toffoli + Jaret Anderson-Dolan (41st overall in 2017 Draft) [no Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, Bjornfot, et al.].

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If I'm going to make a prediction, I think he gets moved for a pretty good to good NHL player who is within a year or two of free agency, and a pretty good prospect (#4-#6 organizationally) who is not one of his organization's blue-chip guys. For example, if we're looking at Los Angeles, something like Tyler Toffoli + Jaret Anderson-Dolan (41st overall in 2017 Draft) [no Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, Bjornfot, et al.].

That seems like a solid prediction. I also wonder if it is to a team heretofore not looked at.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I think it would definitely be the wrong move to trade him before seeing what happens with the new coach / system / roster.

Reactions: brian_griffin

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Risto would be the add in any trade for Connor. It would have to be Mittelstadt going with him for Winnipeg to consider.

No thanks on Casey. He’s got some great moves — you can see it emerging. Him and Risto for Connor. Zero chance

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think it would definitely be the wrong move to trade him before seeing what happens with the new coach / system / roster.
Deos Krueger save the day by working Jedi mind tricks or does it become a distraction that ruins the season? The media is going to be all over this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad