Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition - II

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If he survived ROTJ, he can surely have survived this.

I will await his return in the next sequel trilogy.

That's the thing, nobody is actually dead or gone. Rey can duplicate and teleport objects through space-time. Once anything and everything can happen all the time, specific scenes and moments no longer have meaning. When Rey was laying there at the end there was no emotion that she was not coming back. It's silly.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The point of this trilogy was an exercise in how much nostalgia and brand recognition can drive ticket sales vs actual quality. That is what The Force really is.

That is actually the over arcing theme of the entire Star Wars film franchise.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21
Sep 19, 2008
I agree that if you let JJ direct all 3 it would have been better. TLJ dragged Star Wars pretty down and they had to work their ass off to rebound.

The Disney Star Wars movies were okay but of course the originals are always going to be better.

Reactions: NyQuil

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I feel like a solid SNL skit for crossing star wars and current world politics would be the characters
Emperor Poutine
Darth Donut
Obama want quinoa, b

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
ROS had a $20.4M Christmas Eve

That is 2nd best among Disney SW films trailing only TFA ($27.4)

TLJ grossed $17.6M on Christmas Eve while Rogue One grossed $15.3M

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No one is ever really gone.
If the villain can just be brought back at any time at pretty much full strength, it severely cheapens the effort and weight of any victory against them. Tough to make a struggle and victory not feel hollow when you know the stakes aren't that high.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t take anyone serious that doesn’t have AotC as the worst movie.
Eh, it's sort of the other end of Empire for me. Those 2 are the best and worst for about 90% of people, I can see arguments for others being best or worst. His takes on TLJ and RoS are either just bad or trolling for clicks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He seems to despise all the Disney films outside of TLJ

TLJ
ESB
ROS
ANH
ROTJ
RO
TPM
TFA
AOTC
ROS

Yeah I cant take anyone seriously that has list like this

In no way is TFA worse then the f***ing Phanton Menace

AOTC and TPM are absolutely the worst SW to me and anyone who ranks either higher then new films is mind boggling

Honestly his comparing ROS to Batman and Robin is laughable

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
TPM really isn't that bad, just Jar Jar. It gets too much hate IMO.
Jar Jar is awful, the casting for Anakin was terrible and that kid gives an awful performance. Natalie Portman, who is a very good actor, gives a pretty bad performance for most of the movie. Some scenes drag on far too much as well.

The core story is fine, some good action pieces, and Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor carry the movie.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would add that Jar Jar's people are awful as well and the laughable battle between them and Droids is terrible to watch

Again the fact Lucas makes so much of films CGI really is hard to watch now 20 years later as most of it has not aged well

The positives of film are Neeson , Darth Maul and soundtrack

McGregor is a bit meh in that film but that is likely result of awful dialogue. His performance is much improved in episode II and great in episode III

Reactions: Blender

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The CGI was groundbreaking at the time, which is a thing.

I wonder if they’ve thought about updating it, but have run into the same problem as the Toy Story remaster.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The CGI was groundbreaking at the time, which is a thing.

I wonder if they’ve thought about updating it, but have run into the same problem as the Toy Story remaster.
It was groundbreaking at the time, Lucas was always really good at introducing new technology. Unfortunately every time there is a technology leap like that, often times people greatly overuse it just because they can. It rarely results in the best end product.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
The Phantom Menace is beyond bad, only highlight is the cool lightsaber duel at the end - which is tried really hard to be completely dragged by three stupidly boring battles - but even then that duel is just... cool, there's nothing really needed about it and just the whole movie in general. AOTC also suffers from being extremely unneeded and having next to nothing of interest beyond John Williams again, but it's somehow a more competently made movie in structure. ROTS... has a superb novelization so I haven't found a reason to watch that movie in forever rofl but it's probably the only movie that comes close to ROS of the three realistically.

ESB - TLJ - ROTJ - ANH - TFA - ROS/ROTS - AOTC - TPM for me I guess, ANH is far more innovative and "consistent" but ROTJ is a movie where I can ignore a ton of flaws because of how flawless the resolution to the main interesting thing is delivered. A bit similar to how I feel about TLJ in regards to Kylo / Rey / Luke having multiple of my favourite moments of the nine films, except I find the other stuff surrounding that film watchable too so bop

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Just saw it.

Not a popular opinion reading through this thread, but my first impression is that it was fine.

full disclosure, I think TLJ is trash, and I’m glad this movie tried to distance itself from that.

I probably have to let in marinate for a while, but first impression is more positive than negative.

Reactions: Pi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad