Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition - II

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
TRoS had a pretty strong Monday box office, grossing $29.2M domestically and $28.0M internationally. Obviously boosted by the time of year, but that's a stronger Sunday-to-Monday hold than even The Force Awakens. now at $433.4M worldwide.

This week and weekend will be telling regarding whether or not this can reach a billion, which I do expect it to, though it may be close.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I did have one bit of fun with this. I turned to my wife and said "The only way this can get worse is if dead Jedi Masters help her" and a second later they did. :laugh:

They took everything good from the first six films and destroyed it to make a horrible movie.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Rogue One was a mess. Even with the issues this has, I'd much rather watch RoS again.
Rogue One was a well made movie, but the characters were cardboard cutouts and the main character had a textbook example of informed attributes.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I just can't help but feel very meh about this whole thing. It was fine but the completely unnecessary decisions it made to bring back Palpatine, never explain HOW they brought him back, make Rey a Palpatine, never have Finn tell Rey he's force sensitive, have Finn be force sensitive, have Lando be the former Stormtrooper's father, and more just... felt so lazy. Like the whole thing was made as it was being shot. It was fine, I had a decent time, but there was so much meat laid on the bone from TFA and TLJ that is basically ignored. A let down from what could have been with any creativity instead of giving us Return of Return of the Jedi.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If the rumour from the other thread is true about there being 7 hours in the original cut that had to be edited down... not sure why they didn't pull a Harry Potter and split this into two releases, Dec and May.

Then you'd have the time to set up the finale properly AND close it out without everyone going WTF.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I did have one bit of fun with this. I turned to my wife and said "The only way this can get worse is if dead Jedi Masters help her" and a second later they did. :laugh:

They took everything good from the first six films and destroyed it to make a horrible movie.

It was just cheesy all the way around. I felt like I was watching a cartoon Star Wars Movie. The dialogue, my god!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If the rumour from the other thread is true about there being 7 hours in the original cut that had to be edited down... not sure why they didn't pull a Harry Potter and split this into two releases, Dec and May.

Then you'd have the time to set up the finale properly AND close it out without everyone going WTF.

#ReleaseTheAbramsCut

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC

Honestly even an extra half an hour would have done the film they made a ton of good.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Do I really need to? I mean a lot of the toxicity associated with TLJ was just bigoted garbage. We even saw some of it just last thread.

Yes, you can take issue with TLJ without being a bigot. Bigots just really hated TLJ.

You’re painting with an awful wide brush. It was executives on the Disney side who suggested the reason people didn’t like TLJ was their bigotry. The executives saying that are the simple minded bigots whose egos are ofc the charts. TLJ was a farce of a movie. It’s beyond trash. RoS isn’t much better but look at what it had to follow.

Can you provide evidence of how many people who didn’t like TLJ are indeed bigots vs how many aren’t??

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You’re painting with an awful wide brush. It was executives on the Disney side who suggested the reason people didn’t like TLJ was their bigotry. The executives saying that are the simple minded bigots whose egos are ofc the charts. TLJ was a farce of a movie. It’s beyond trash. RoS isn’t much better but look at what it had to follow.

Can you provide evidence of how many people who didn’t like TLJ are indeed bigots vs how many aren’t??

The problems with TLJ are things like stupid subplots that go nowhere, the movie ending with Kylo getting owned, not really setting up a third act etc....

I'll let you imagine what kind of criticism constitutes bigotry.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC

Bot makers loved The Last Jedi discourse so much they decided to politically influence it

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only way this is true is if you have zero imagination.

VIII ends with the blankest of canvases: almost everything is resolved outside of the main "good guys vs bad guys". You need to have something else to lead into the final act.

Doable? Yes, almost anything is when it comes to writing. I have a hard time finding anything VIII sets up for IX like the Clone Wars starting in II or Han getting captured in V.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The problems with TLJ are things like stupid subplots that go nowhere, the movie ending with Kylo getting owned, not really setting up a third act etc....

I'll let you imagine what kind of criticism constitutes bigotry.

You’re the one making grand statements about bigotry. You made it sound as if there was this massive revelation when discussing TLJ that identified for you a vast amount of bigots. All I’m asking for is some kind of numbers or evidence or really anything.

You’re the one making a claim. I’m just asking you for any proof.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You’re the one making grand statements about bigotry. You made it sound as if there was this massive revelation when discussing TLJ that identified for you a vast amount of bigots. All I’m asking for is some kind of numbers or evidence or really anything.

You’re the one making a claim. I’m just asking you for any proof.

Indeed I did make such a claim. Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit so I'll leave it at that.

If you identify with the bigots, that is your problem. Not mine.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Indeed I did make such a claim. Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit so I'll leave it at that.

If you identify with the bigots, that is your problem. Not mine.

You make claims you must have zero evidence for so you double down on your stupidity. Sounds about right for most people on the internet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->