Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition - II

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I simply don’t believe JJ had an established plan. I don’t think he knew how he was solving the mysteries he set up in TFA and he left a ton of holes in both the story and the 20 years later to be filled by EU material and not any of the movies.

They absolutely could have made a final movie that continued off of TLJ and didn’t just throw 3/4 of the movie out.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Word of mouth and buzz maybe. For a movie that ends the trilogy, there really isn’t a whole lot of buzz about it, and that extended to even before its release. I think it was ranked as only the third most anticipated movie of 2019, where Star Wars is usually top of the list no questions asked.

Well there were some massive films this year, and Endgame was going to be the top no matter what.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Right. But I just mean what is meant by losing steam? By the box office metrics, it’s had a great week so far, even if down from the previous 2 movies.

I thought Christmas Eve was better for this one than TLJ? If that turns into a trend, which I’m not necessarily saying it will, then the opposite is happening with this movie. That would make sense, since overall audience reception for this movie is more positive than TLJ. People holding out after being upset by TLJ might go see this now that they’re hearing good things from other people.

I saw it again tonight. I thought it was great the first time, better the second.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

For comparisons on Christmas day

TFA = $49.3M
TLJ = $27.4M
RO = $25.8M

We will see on actuals if this $35M holds or if it drops a little or goes up a little

Thus far film is doing great during holiday week as expected

If the estimate is true it will put film at $261.8M domestic gross after 6 days which means its #9 for this years box office domestically closing in on #8 which is Joker at $333.3M which it will surpass this weekend while it will also look to track potentially past Aladdin which is at #7 with $355.5M

After Aladdin the #6 grossing film of year is Frozen 2 at $374.2M

Once Rise of Skywalker moves past Joker that will mean 7 of the 8 top grossing films in NA this year are from Disney!

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
r1m15SMAcDqiSxyymmhd-wpXSNBugoSDiQDwqEEg2GI.jpg

So it's just a coincidence that Palpatine's granddaughter looks just like a Skywalker?

If they planned to have her be a Palpatine all along why would they cast someone that has such an uncanny resemblance to a Skywalker female?

The most likely explanation is that the Palpatine story line was never the plan, if there was a plan at all.

Reactions: Osprey and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
r1m15SMAcDqiSxyymmhd-wpXSNBugoSDiQDwqEEg2GI.jpg

So it's just a coincidence that Palpatine's granddaughter looks just like a Skywalker?

If they planned to have her be a Palpatine all along why would they cast someone that has such an uncanny resemblance to a Skywalker female?

The most likely explanation is that the Palpatine story line was never the plan, if there was a plan at all.
Rey is a Skywalker though, she says so at the end of the movie. :sarcasm:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If there was a Oscars category for Best Trailer Music, Blake Robinson deserves it for this.

Pretty sure John Williams would be proud.

It's arguably better than the movie itself. :sarcasm:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m 85-90% comfortable saying that if Abrams did all 3 of these movies, Rey would have been Luke’s daughter

He didn’t want to reveal it in the TFA, so it was left ambiguous with some hints, and then RJ blew it up in TLJ

I’d love to read the story treatment JJ gave Johnson for TLJ, that he used basically none of

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only argument for something worse than AotC is TLJ IMO. I know some will vehemently disagree with me on that, but those are the clear 2 worst films, just from different perspectives.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No such thing exists. JJ asks questions and rehashes, that's the only thing he is good at.
His films are very well made though, he just needs a good screenwriter to go with him. If TFA wasn't simply a copy of ANH, it would have been a top-tier SW film, but that's a lot more on Lucasfilm hiring Kasdan to just do a soft reboot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Maybe they did have a plan but it had to be changed after Carrie Fisher's death?

It all felt very rushed and it sucks that the vision of the movies changed so drastically from director to director. They needed to sign someone for all three movies.

For example, why was Luke searching for Exogol when he was in living off the grid? If he knew Palpatine was back it makes his decision to hide away from it all really stupid.

The search for Exegol happened before he went off the grid. After all, he was conducting the search with Lando. He didn't know that Palpatine was back at the time. No one did.

As for how Leia knew Rey was a descendant of Palpatine... that's much less clear to me. How Luke knew, as well. It doesn't seem to me that they knew Rey's parents. It's possible they were able to figure it out through the Force. To that end, Kylo/Ben is able to learn details about her past through the Force. That would fit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The search for Exegol happened before he went off the grid. After all, he was conducting the search with Lando. He didn't know that Palpatine was back at the time. No one did.

As for how Leia knew Rey was a descendant of Palpatine... that's much less clear to me. How Luke knew, as well. It doesn't seem to me that they knew Rey's parents.
They just felt it, but in reality, don't ask questions and we quickly move on to the next scene. It just sucks that they had Rey take a very similar path as Luke. All the themes and messages sent with Rey's journey that blood doesn't determine your destiny were already done in the OT with Luke/Vader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad