Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition - II

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Person 1: Not everyone who hates the movie is a bigot, but there is definitely a group of them. There are definitely legitimate issues, but there are also some people who are just attacking the movie for extra reasons. Again, not saying it applies to everyone, but there is definitely a group of them.

Person 2: WOW you’re calling me a bigot?

Person 1: No, I’m saying some of the people are. Not everyone. Not you.

Person 2: WOW, I’m a bigot just because I can see the flaws in the movie? Shame on you!

On the other hand you had this going around.

Person 1: What did you think of the last Jedi?

Person 2: I didn't like it particularly the characters of Rose Tico was poorly written an Rey comes across as a Mary Sue

Person 1: Wow your just a bigot who can't take that there are female characters in Star Wars.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
On the other hand you had this going around.

Person 1: What did you think of the last Jedi?

Person 2: I didn't like it particularly the characters of Rose Tico was poorly written an Rey comes across as a Mary Sue

Person 1: Wow your just a bigot who can't take that there are female characters in Star Wars.

Some people, yeah. But not in here.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think the current trilogy will age much better than the present-day reviews make it out to be.

TRoS had so much to repair, and started in such a hole with the passing of Carrie Fisher, that I’m thrilled how it turned out.

The current political climate pressures everyone to crap on something, anything, just release negativity. The Star Wars movies were always about the joy of being a fan of Luke’s universe. Laugh at the haters.

The test of time will tell but I highly doubt it. What gets lost a lot when talking about what made the OT great is not the OT itself but what came after: The Thrawn Trilogy, X Wing Alliance and Tie Fighter, Knights of the Old Republic, etc etc. Content that set before, during, and after the OT all taking their inspiration from it.

So... what could they make from the ST that Star Wars fans would actually want? Oh there's lots of room set before it filling the gap, but then that extends back to the OT. We'll see but it just seems like the story going forward dies here, meaning people aren't going to be thinking too much about the ST a few years down the road.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the current trilogy will age much better than the present-day reviews make it out to be.

Reviews and opinions on TFA and TLJ are favourable, RoS is the only one of the three that is awful.

The Sequel Trilogy has been decent considering how shallow Star Wars is: 2 good movies out of 3 is pretty solid.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm still not sure what the overall point of this trilogy was (besides making money obviously).

Honestly, it should have ended with Rey saying she was "Rey Palpatine."

This is how you turn the legacy of a name and make it clear that blood doesn't automatically equate to evil. That she's willing to move forward despite her family's dark past. Taking the name Skywalker is a disastrous writing decision and undermines most of the major themes of the movie. I thought it was so stupid and forced that I actually LOL'ed when she said it in the theatre.

At least her sabre is green, which I suppose is a mix of blue and red.

As for the rest of the movie, it just shows how badly TLJ went. If Abrams had done all three movies he would have had an extra movie to develop plot lines to end the trilogy. Now knowing Abrams, they probably wouldn't have been the best plot lines, but at least you would have had some sort of overall direction in place. As it stands, TLJ was basically a waste of an entire movie. You can basically watch the entire saga without TLJ and just make up a reason why Snoke died from TFA to TRoS and it still all makes sense.

Abrams basically had to cram two movies' worth of material into one, and this is the end result. It feels rushed, jumpy, trying for too many things in too little time. Yet the overall conceptualizations are decent, even if the execution is flawed. I'm sure he (and probably most of Disney) silently curses Rian Johnson's name.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

This is how you turn the legacy of a name and make it clear that blood doesn't automatically equate to evil. That she's willing to move forward despite her family's dark past. Taking the name Skywalker is a disastrous writing decision and undermines most of the major themes of the movie. I thought it was so stupid and forced that I actually LOL'ed when she said it in the theatre.

As for the rest of the movie, it just shows how badly TLJ went. If Abrams had done all three movies he would have had an extra movie to develop plot lines to end the trilogy. Now knowing Abrams, they probably wouldn't have been the best plot lines, but at least you would have had some sort of overall direction in place. As it stands, TLJ was basically a waste of an entire movie. You can basically watch the entire saga without TLJ and just make up a reason why Snoke died from TFA to TRoS and it still all makes sense.

Abrams basically had to cram two movies' worth of material into one, and this is the end result. It feels rushed, jumpy, trying for too many things in too little time. Yet the overall conceptualizations are decent, even if the execution is flawed. I'm sure he (and probably most of Disney) silently curses Rian Johnson's name.

Nope.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Basically the first two trilogies are about the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. I'm not sure what the overall theme of the sequel trilogy was supposed to be.

I still think my buddy nailed it...
Don't have kids, they'll be the death of you.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Yeah, it does.

Taking an adopted name to run from your family name despite having just shown the name doesn't mean whether you're inherently good or evil, and despite making a major thematic push about "some things being stronger than blood" is a bad decision. It's an attempt to bask in nostalgia instead of doing something more brave and interesting with the character. Have her be Rey Palpatine and go around the galaxy doing good as a Palpatine. I thought it was the obvious decision, but instead they decided to indulge in full nostalgia right to the very end, and it detracts from the overall thematic focus of the movie.

Reactions: Blender

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Yeah, it does.

Taking an adopted name to run from your family name despite having just shown the name doesn't mean whether you're inherently good or evil, and despite making a major thematic push about "some things being stronger than blood" is a bad decision. It's an attempt to bask in nostalgia instead of doing something more brave and interesting with the character. Have her be Rey Palpatine and go around the galaxy doing good as a Palpatine. I thought it was the obvious decision, but instead they decided to indulge in full nostalgia right to the very end, and it detracts from the overall thematic focus of the movie.

Rey became the ultimate villain. She killed the last Skywalker with a kiss then buried their lightsabers forever. She can now get on with posing as a Skywalker to get in the Senate. She will rise to ultimate power and the Sith will rule forever!!!!!

Eat that shit Disney haha

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Yeah, it does.

To be honest her being "Rey Palpatine" was already a massive indulgement and made it next to impossible to do something new and bold.. We've been down the protagonist being related to a big baddie road before as well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To be honest her being "Rey Palpatine" was already a massive indulgement and made it next to impossible to do something new and bold.. We've been down the protagonist being related to a big baddie road before as well.

Yeah I think that's a fair point too.

But to have it end with Rey Skywalker was a terrible decision. I mean with Kylo finally becoming Ben again, the obvious parallel should have been for Rey to accept being a Palpatine but doing good instead of evil with it. Shoehorning Skywalker there in the end just seems so out of place and forced.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Reviews and opinions on TFA and TLJ are favourable, RoS is the only one of the three that is awful.

The Sequel Trilogy has been decent considering how shallow Star Wars is: 2 good movies out of 3 is pretty solid.

reviews your correct with, but there seems to be a trend developing with critical reviews differing significantly from audience perception. another very recent example is the Netflix Witcher series. Critics giving it 56% on RT while the audience score is 93%.

Opinions of TLJ were mixed at best, ROS seems much more favourable in terms of public opinion so far.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The funny thing is that I don't think Palpatine is actually dead this time either lol.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I actually thought she was going to say "Rey, just Rey"

But then the title of the final movie would have made even less sense.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

TLJ was by far my favorite of the three, but I strongly agree that just giving JJ all three would have worked better.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Rey became the ultimate villain. She killed the last Skywalker with a kiss then buried their lightsabers forever. She can now get on with posing as a Skywalker to get in the Senate. She will rise to ultimate power and the Sith will rule forever!!!!!

Eat that **** Disney haha

She is the Senate!

Reactions: Spektre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad