Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition - II

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
You’re painting with an awful wide brush. It was executives on the Disney side who suggested the reason people didn’t like TLJ was their bigotry. The executives saying that are the simple minded bigots whose egos are ofc the charts. TLJ was a farce of a movie. It’s beyond trash. RoS isn’t much better but look at what it had to follow.

Can you provide evidence of how many people who didn’t like TLJ are indeed bigots vs how many aren’t??

He said it wasn’t all due to that, but there was definitely a good amount of very vocal bigots that hated on it. You don’t need a scientific study to realize that. Doesn’t mean everyone that hated it was a bigot, though, as the poster pointed out.

But... you’re pretty defensive about this...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Just saw it. First impression is that I think it's better than TLJ. But overall, you can tell there was just no vision for this trilogy. They tried to make it up as they went along. Say what you will about the prequels, but one thing you can't say about them is that they were disorganized and without direction.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
VIII ends with the blankest of canvases: almost everything is resolved outside of the main "good guys vs bad guys". You need to have something else to lead into the final act.

Doable? Yes, almost anything is when it comes to writing. I have a hard time finding anything VIII sets up for IX like the Clone Wars starting in II or Han getting captured in V.

You have Rey and Ren who have one more grand battle in them. You have a broken rebellion crying out for help one last time against a grown First Order waiting to strike. You have a legend grown in Luke Skywalker. You have eight movies built up. There's more than enough there to make a very big finale that doesn't shoe-horn in Emperor Palpatine.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rogue One was a well made movie, but the characters were cardboard cutouts and the main character had a textbook example of informed attributes.

5AbA.gif

Yes the movie that had it's last act re-shot and still looks like two different movies put into one, is a well made movie... And you say I have low standards.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
He said it wasn’t all due to that, but there was definitely a good amount of very vocal bigots that hated on it. You don’t need a scientific study to realize that. Doesn’t mean everyone that hated it was a bigot, though, as the poster pointed out.

But... you’re pretty defensive about this...

It’s an extremely broad statement. Asking for evidence of a claim is now considered being defensive??? Ok lol

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
TLJ sucked so much that Abrams had to fix it by resurrecting
Luke Palpatine. lol I was too stupid to understand that clever plot line. While watching the movie I thought Palpatine was some type of sith ghost s****. I didn't undsertand the point of killing what's already dead.

Abrams also fixed the origin of Rey: she isn't just the daughter of nobodies, she's the granddaughter of f*** Palapatine . HAHAHA! so TLJ was a total waste! Why not just pretend that Luke didn't really die after all. He found a way to get young again (by reading books lol), which made him vanish and then reapear as a kid holding a broom.

What a chaotic movie. It managed to remind me of the second season of Westworld.

Reactions: Spektre

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It was a term thrown around by the media to try and spin a narrative and the fact that your still spouting it just makes you look bad.

I can read and make judgments myself. Christ, just look at the last thread. Lol. I’m not acting like every single person who disliked it is a bigot, but there was certainly a group of them. To be fair, most movies will have that, so I don’t know why that’s such an crazy concept.

I’m not calling you a bigot, so I don’t know why you’re getting so defensive about it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
From the article:

“that it was too jokey, that it was not interested in the elaborate universe of fan theories that has accreted since the original trilogy’s release, or that the characters’ journeys weren’t exactly to their liking.”

These are examples of political ideas??? Really??

No. You should have read further:

“Russian trolls weaponize Star Wars criticism as an instrument of information warfare with the purpose of pushing for political change, while it is weaponized by right-wing fans to forward a conservative agenda and for some it is a pushback against what they perceive as a feminist/social justice onslaught,” Bay writes.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So calling a set of movies trash because they were cobbled together with shoe lace, bubblegum and photos of multi millionaires swimming in pools full of cash makes you a bigot?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Person 1: Not everyone who hates the movie is a bigot, but there is definitely a group of them. There are definitely legitimate issues, but there are also some people who are just attacking the movie for extra reasons. Again, not saying it applies to everyone, but there is definitely a group of them.

Person 2: WOW you’re calling me a bigot?

Person 1: No, I’m saying some of the people are. Not everyone. Not you.

Person 2: WOW, I’m a bigot just because I can see the flaws in the movie? Shame on you!

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
There are definitely a sub group of people who are bigots and are hating on the film Becuase of its diversity and the like. However, I see most of the hate stemming from the fact that the movies are objectively poorly written and directed.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I think the current trilogy will age much better than the present-day reviews make it out to be.

TRoS had so much to repair, and started in such a hole with the passing of Carrie Fisher, that I’m thrilled how it turned out.

The current political climate pressures everyone to crap on something, anything, just release negativity. The Star Wars movies were always about the joy of being a fan of Luke’s universe. Laugh at the haters.

Reactions: BudBundy

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
No. You should have read further:

Your quote doesn’t refute the absurdity of so called examples of “political views” I quoted from the same article.

The author of the research went into greater detail for the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...thored-study-says-not-exactly/?outputType=amp

“But it turns out Russian bots generated no notable activity around “Last Jedi,” the box office was certainly not affected by any online activity and even the negative tweets were just as likely to come from real fans who happened to dislike the movie artistically as from alt-right figures looking to target its alleged politics.”

This certainly flies in the baseless claims by some internet experts otherwise known as people who tweet lol

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Your quote doesn’t refute the absurdity of so called examples of “political views” I quoted from the same article.

The author of the research went into greater detail for the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...thored-study-says-not-exactly/?outputType=amp

“But it turns out Russian bots generated no notable activity around “Last Jedi,” the box office was certainly not affected by any online activity and even the negative tweets were just as likely to come from real fans who happened to dislike the movie artistically as from alt-right figures looking to target its alleged politics.”

This certainly flies in the baseless claims by some internet experts otherwise known as people who tweet lol

You might want to read your own quotes.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think the current trilogy will age much better than the present-day reviews make it out to be.

TRoS had so much to repair, and started in such a hole with the passing of Carrie Fisher, that I’m thrilled how it turned out.

The current political climate pressures everyone to crap on something, anything, just release negativity. The Star Wars movies were always about the joy of being a fan of Luke’s universe. Laugh at the haters.

Personally I think it will age poorly, once people stop saying "at least it looked good/action was good/acting was good" it will come down to story and film structure. Look at RotJ, once the satisfying conclusion and the awesome final battle faded it really fell apart under scrutiny

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00