In Memoriam RIP Alberta O'Reilly Fan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I was just on a podcast I was asked to join from the SIM league Mike belonged to. Was suppose to be an hour, but Mike wouldn't have wanted it any other way but to go long.

We rehashed some of the trades Mike pulled off, his thinking behind it (or at least what we thought) and how much Mike meant to everybody. And for Mike, what to expect from the Bruins for the remainder of the season (most of the people on the podcast are not Bruins fans).

Anyway, someone will post the link once it's uploaded. I'm just very sad now.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was just on a podcast I was asked to join from the SIM league Mike belonged to. Was suppose to be an hour, but Mike wouldn't have wanted it any other way but to go long.

We rehashed some of the trades Mike pulled off, his thinking behind it (or at least what we thought) and how much Mike meant to everybody. And for Mike, what to expect from the Bruins for the remainder of the season (most of the people on the podcast are not Bruins fans).

Dom, IIRC the other day you mentioned that you tried contacting the funeral home to ask how Mikes wife is doing? I believe you said that they were closed on Sunday. Have you heard anything?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Sorry this made you sad but it was pretty noble.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Approximately 10 years ago a sophisticated fantasy hockey league was launched by posters to the HF Bruins forum, named the Hockey's Future League...

Over the years GMs who support other NHL teams have joined the league, but even with the GM turnover it's still at least half Boston fans to this day... One of those Bruins fans who joined the league in 2018 was AOF... he named his team the Camrose Brawlers...

So if you've ever been reading the 7th paragraph of one of AOF's post ands wondered to yourself "boy I wonder what the hell AOF would do if he was running an actual team" ... we have your answer..

AOF was handed the keys to a virtual NHL team competing against 28-30 extremely smart other GMs.. the league is highly active, complete with a draft, minor league, uses actual NHL contracts and salary cap figures, etc.. and again it's been running for a decade straight..

The HFL has a podcast (which is only about the SIM league itself -- it's not a general NHL or hockey podcast) and we did a tribute episode dedicated to Mike tonight... please feel free to give it a listen when you have an opportunity.. as Dom mentioned a few posts above, it went a little long (but AOF wouldn't have it any other way)...

Not to give TOO MUCH away -- but AOF came in to the league stressing that he was going to take a patient and methodical approach to his management of the team.... aaannnddd then he went out and completed multiple franchise-altering BLOCKBUSTER trades in just his first week... we break down his major deals in the episode -- and there are plenty! He was a very engaged GM who took pride in his organization..

Our league will be paying tribute to AOF in ways that are still being worked out.. but one of the thing we've decided to do is to name our AHL cup after him because he took joy in stacking his AHL team with NHL players who were past their prime (but still useable in our SIM software) and place them on his AHL squad..

Mike, the HFL misses you already.. as was said multiple times, you were one of a kind brother..

Link:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I’m so sorry for Mike, his wife & family, and his hockey family (you guys). I know in my years of lurking your boards, he was very present and active. He couldn’t be missed...

Well... he’ll be missed. :(

Embrace what you love and be proud of that you love - for we are all fans of hockey in the end. Mike was exemplary of such passion and love.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Sorry I wasn't able to make it. Very excited to listen to it though...

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You have a Billy Jaffe sounding quality to your voice Dom. Very professional, very authoritative. You should look into some media opportunities...

I've got more hair than Jaffe though!

I don't know if things will change a month from now, but the way I felt after doing that last night, it'll probably be my last podcast. Only fitting that it was for Michael.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Read his last post.
Wow!
I had to read it twice to get the complete sense of what he was going thru.:(

The first time I saw this post I read it twice before replying. I really didn’t know what to say but could feel his pain

My Wife also means the world to me, but I could only imagine what he was going through

I’m glad I was able to put some words of encouragement together and hopefully they gave him some solace

The optimist in me was hoping to see a good news post from him in the days to come….which never happened

May the Lord comfort him and his family and grant them peace and love

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
I've left 3 messages and sent an email and no reply. :(
Privacy laws. They couldn't tell you if they knew and wanted to.

Best you can do is leave your contact info and hope they pass it on to her
or a relative. (As I believe his wife isn't able to answer on her own behalf.)

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I haven’t been able to stop thinking about AOF since I heard he passed away. I mean this as the highest possible compliment I could give someone: I would have assumed he was too stubborn to die.

I wonder if he’d be surprised by how upset I am by his passing. God knows we never exactly got along. I’m not sure there’s anybody on this forum I argued with more over all these many years. And even fewer who consistently drove me up a wall. I am confident though the feeling was more than mutual. Neither of us was ever shy about letting the other know what they thought about them.

But all of those spats, no matter how ugly they got, and no matter how often they ended with both of us laughing at the other, were always fun. We both agreed on one thing: debating is fun. It’s boring to only talk to people you agree with, especially with something as low stakes as who should dress as the seventh defenseman. And it’s boring to only debate people who will roll over. That certainly wasn’t AOF.

I’m not going to pretend we were friends when we weren’t. It would be an insult to him and all of you. He has real friends here. I'm sorry to all of you for losing someone you knew and cared about outside of this forum. But I do think there was a reason neither of us ever blocked the other even if we fought all the time. We both enjoyed those battles more than we hated each other. For two guys who never agreed, we were a lot alike. (There must be something about Bruins fans named Mike. They seem to be hard-headed, opinionated, stubborn mules.) And I think that gets to why I feel so awful he’s gone.

Despite how often the people of this board argue or drive each other insane, it’s ultimately a community of people bound by a common love. We’re all fans of the same team. We disagree about who they should draft and who they should hire or fire. But when the team wins, we all share in that joy together. Just like we all share the pain when they lose. So we all know without saying it, that every argument we have about them is rooted in that same love.

Now our group has lost someone who loved that team as much as any of us. And we lost him way too soon. It's awful. Mike deserved better. He deserved more time with his friends and family. He deserved more time to enjoy the Bruins and to write long posts about why he loved them. But I hope he can see the mark he left on this silly little place we all love. And I hope he can see this. I have one final compliment for my old nemesis: I know AOF didn’t go down without a fight. He never did.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I haven’t been able to stop thinking about AOF since I heard he passed away. I mean this as the highest possible compliment I could give someone: I would have assumed he was too stubborn to die.

I wonder if he’d be surprised by how upset I am by his passing. God knows we never exactly got along. I’m not sure there’s anybody on this forum I argued with more over all these many years. And even fewer who consistently drove me up a wall. I am confident though the feeling was more than mutual. Neither of us was ever shy about letting the other know what they thought about them.

But all of those spats, no matter how ugly they got, and no matter how often they ended with both of us laughing at the other, were always fun. We both agreed on one thing: debating is fun. It’s boring to only talk to people you agree with, especially with something as low stakes as who should dress as the seventh defenseman. And it’s boring to only debate people who will roll over. That certainly wasn’t AOF.

I’m not going to pretend we were friends when we weren’t. It would be an insult to him and all of you. He has real friends here. I'm sorry to all of you for losing someone you knew and cared about outside of this forum. But I do think there was a reason neither of us ever blocked the other even if we fought all the time. We both enjoyed those battles more than we hated each other. For two guys who never agreed, we were a lot alike. (There must be something about Bruins fans named Mike. They seem to be hard-headed, opinionated, stubborn mules.) And I think that gets to why I feel so awful he’s gone.

Despite how often the people of this board argue or drive each other insane, it’s ultimately a community of people bound by a common love. We’re all fans of the same team. We disagree about who they should draft and who they should hire or fire. But when the team wins, we all share in that joy together. Just like we all share the pain when they lose. So we all know without saying it, that every argument we have about them is rooted in that same love.

Now our group has lost someone who loved that team as much as any of us. And we lost him way too soon. It's awful. Mike deserved better. He deserved more time with his friends and family. He deserved more time to enjoy the Bruins and to write long posts about why he loved them. But I hope he can see the mark he left on this silly little place we all love. And I hope he can see this. I have one final compliment for my old nemesis: I know AOF didn’t go down without a fight. He never did.
:heart::heart:Nice honest post.
Miss seeing you post here Mike from Everett

member 96824

For some reason, seeing all 3 2015 1st rounders. both 1st rounders from 2016, plus knowing Carlo, Lauzon, and others were on the sidelines made me think of all the head-butting on draft strategy with AOF.

I'd take the side that the B's stink at it, Mike would take the other and always say "name me a better team than this." He'd list out a team with so many logical fallacies like including guys who were traded for other guys (Mike you couldn't have Seguin, Hamilton, and Kessel in the same lineup!) or list players like Wheeler that we didn't draft...but in the end, watching 8 homegrown forwards, 5 home grown D men, and a bunch of Bruins 1st and 2nd round picks making contributions...Mike, alright fine...you won, you son of a bitch, you won.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad