In Memoriam RIP Alberta O'Reilly Fan

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
This is a great reminder- there are far too many people on this forum (and I have been one of them in times past) who never miss an opportunity to make it personal. We are all sharing opinions, thoughts, and feelings here. Having a different take than someone else doesn't make them stupid, ignorant, or, my all-time favorite: you must never have played hockey if you think THAT. We can debate vigorously but it doesn't have to be done disrespectfully. This is sports, and while sports can be an important part of community and identity, it should never be cause to diminish someone's humanity or make them feel less so we can feel like more.

:soap:
Yup.
Solid post.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Sorry to read this news. What a loss to the HF community.
Losing a devoted member is tough. I still remember losing Terry Tomasi(Backin72) many years ago.
My sincere thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.
I wasn't as close to Mike as I was to Terry. Can't believe it's been 13 years. His birthday is coming up I believe.

I always appreciated how thought out Mike's posts were. and that he had MANY conversations on here with many of the LF.

I agree, his trade proposals will be missed.

RIP Mike. You'll be missed, at home and here at your virtual home.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I told my wife that the death of a guy I never met in person impacted me more than I could have ever imagined. She got it. She hugged me and sat quietly as we watched the Lake Tahoe game. She likes hockey because I’m a fanatic. And she helped me word my eulogy to Mike on the funeral home’s website. I still think what I wrote sucked, but it came from my heart. This is why I married her.

I created this online persona in 2007. HooperDrivesTheBoat was born during the demise of my first marriage. It gave me a neutral, non-judgemental (on a personal level) place to talk hockey and learn from people who knew more about the sport than I could ever imagine. Guys like DKH, LouJersey (WhambamCam), Gee Wally, Dom, Lonnie (LscII), GloryDaze, RealLinseman (George) Black Eye, Lobster (doesn’t post enough anymore), Ladyfan (my favorite Bruins fan by a large margin), Alicat, Bill (Playmaker), Al who hates NY sports (but I love his posts) VeddarRants, Fenway, Flannelman, and my fellow mods from the mid 2010’s (Doubleminor, Mr Make Believe, TP, Scotto) etc. and so many other people who I read daily. If I left anyone out, no disrespect at all. Your opinions mean everything to me, whether I agree or not.

I’ve conversed with you all more than I have with many of my close friends from home. They like hockey, but don’t get it. Hockey is the greatest sport and there is no close 2nd. Not many people feel this way. That’s why I seek your knowledge every day.

I’m 45 years old and come from the generation who grew up without cable, smart phones, the internet, etc. Nevertheless, I’m impacted by the people I converse with online everyday.

For some reason, Mike’s death hit me. Could be this shitty Covid year, could be the fact he was a passionate outsider Bruins fan like I am (Alberta vs NY). Either way, we should take this time to celebrate a die-hard Bruins fan. Tilt your preferred drink - I’m over-indulging in a Macallan my staff got me for Christmas. You all mean something to me though I’ve never met you and probably never will.

Be safe and God Bless

Hoopah
Great post Mark.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
This is a great reminder- there are far too many people on this forum (and I have been one of them in times past) who never miss an opportunity to make it personal. We are all sharing opinions, thoughts, and feelings here. Having a different take than someone else doesn't make them stupid, ignorant, or, my all-time favorite: you must never have played hockey if you think THAT. We can debate vigorously but it doesn't have to be done disrespectfully. This is sports, and while sports can be an important part of community and identity, it should never be cause to diminish someone's humanity or make them feel less so we can feel like more.

:soap:
Great post.

One of the things I love about HF in general and the Bruins board in particular is that conversations happen here - not just a thousand posts all ignoring each other. It really adds to being a fan, I think.

There are a couple of things that have helped guide me as an adult both here and elsewhere...

The first is my screen name here. My surname is essentially my call sign, and there’s a reason for that. Except for a very few rare exceptions, there is nothing I put out here that I would be ashamed to have my name next to. It helps keep me honest. I am very well aware of how important privacy and anonymity is in this age, but I couldn’t think of anything more clever and I don’t care who knows my opinions.

Secondly, and very closely related to the first point, I never “say” anything to or about someone that I wouldn’t say to their face. If I ever ran into one of you guys in the beer line at the Garden, I wouldn’t want my lights turned out because I disrespected you on a hockey forum!

Don’t be afraid to tell your friends and fellow members here how you feel about them. This life is far too short. Don’t wait to tell others how much they mean to you.

And as @Dr Hook said, we all have different opinions on all kinds of things. That’s the best part. Because if we were all the same, there would be no fun in ever coming here in the first place!

Last edited:

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Mike's last post came after the B's won in Philadelphia just a little more than 2 weeks ago.

He hinted things were not well with him but his love of the Bruins as always came through

The Last Voyage

I want to stay, but need to go
And no one but the night will know
Hush waiting souls, it won't be long
Another voice will join your song
There's no time now for long good-byes
Or one last look into your eyes
So slip the lines and dim the light
And set my sails towards silken night

For now.... I lay me down to sleep
And pray the Lord my soul to keep

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Seeing some of the names of the long time posters that haven't been around or as active lately but logging on to pay their respects is really speaking to the character he had and how many lives he touched here. So many folks coming out of the woodwork to express their sympathies is an incredible example of the impact he had here on our little community and why this loss is so great.

member 96824

A lot of thinking about Mike over the weekend. We made a lot of small gestures in the sim league. The AHL trophy is now called the Karlstrom Cup. (Mike loved trying to build a fantasy team of old players in the AHL.) (@TMHUNH idea) We’ve also added the Mike Karlstrom award...the grittiest player of the year measured by hits, blocks, fights, PIMs(@Dr Quincy idea). I know it’s just a fake fantasy hockey league so the gestures are small, but Mike always talked about how he loved the sim because it was his escape and a chance to build out his ideal plan.

I wish Mike could see the outpouring of love and support. One thing that used to bother me is he’d spend a whole day shooting the shit here and on the sim league chat and then claim he didn’t have any friends and it was always like “Mike, we’re right here!” As mentioned by many, he was incredibly grateful for everything so I don’t have a doubt seeing all of this would mean the world to him.

I think it’s an opportunity for everyone to take a page from Mike’s book and take his positivity on in some form. Remember that it’s not just a username and an avatar you’re talking to but a real person, with a real life just like yours filled with plenty of ups and plenty of downs. They’re just trying to do their best and then come here to blow off steam and converse with like minded people that share a passion. An escape. I’m as guilty of losing this perspective as anyone. Lost that perspective with Mike too sometimes no doubt. You guys know, Mike’s stubborn. My wife tells me I’m stubborn even though she’s totally 100% wrong and I won’t hear it any other way. It’s easy to get caught up in everything..and in the end, being right or wrong on the internet about one draft one year or a free agent signing doesn’t really f***ing matter.

We’re all going to end up in the same place, might as well be good to each other in the same way Mike was good to us before we get there.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
A lot of thinking about Mike over the weekend. We made a lot of small gestures in the sim league. The AHL trophy is now called the Karlstrom Cup. (Mike loved trying to build a fantasy team of old players in the AHL.) (@TMHUNH idea) We’ve also added the Mike Karlstrom award...the grittiest player of the year measured by hits, blocks, fights, PIMs(@Dr Quincy idea). I know it’s just a fake fantasy hockey league so the gestures are small, but Mike always talked about how he loved the sim because it was his escape and a chance to build out his ideal plan.

I wish Mike could see the outpouring of love and support. One thing that used to bother me is he’d spend a whole day shooting the shit here and on the sim league chat and then claim he didn’t have any friends and it was always like “Mike, we’re right here!” As mentioned by many, he was incredibly grateful for everything so I don’t have a doubt seeing all of this would mean the world to him.

I think it’s an opportunity for everyone to take a page from Mike’s book and take his positivity on in some form. Remember that it’s not just a username and an avatar you’re talking to but a real person, with a real life just like yours filled with plenty of ups and plenty of downs. They’re just trying to do their best and then come here to blow off steam and converse with like minded people that share a passion. An escape. I’m as guilty of losing this perspective as anyone. Lost that perspective with Mike too sometimes no doubt. You guys know, Mike’s stubborn. My wife tells me I’m stubborn even though she’s totally 100% wrong and I won’t hear it any other way. It’s easy to get caught up in everything..and in the end, being right or wrong on the internet about one draft one year or a free agent signing doesn’t really f***ing matter.

We’re all going to end up in the same place, might as well be good to each other in the same way Mike was good to us before we get there.
Great post !

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Had a private message conversation with AOF in Jan/20
Chatted about living in Alberta, players we met (he got into a fight with Glen Wesley when he was a kid, we met Glen here in Red Deer Dec/19), how we watch the games...chatted about "stuff".
He said he was born in Red Deer, but lived in Leduc.(10 miles south of Edmonton)
It's funny how it is on message boards like this, one does develop friendships thru hockey but with some it goes past hockey and we learn of each other's families, where we work , etc.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet as I know Mike would of appreciated that. ;)

I was shaken yesterday when I brought up HF Boards on my phone and saw the GDT was "Win it For Alberta O'Reilly Fan". Quickly I knew something was wrong and was dismayed to learn of the passing of Michael Karlstrom, aka Alberta O'Reilly Fan.

While I can't say I ever spoke or met Mike, I have had more than one lengthy debate regarding Boston Bruins Hockey with him. I'm not sure we ever agreed to be honest, which is perfectly fine, more fun that way. One thing I do know is that you would be hard pressed to find a more die-hard fan of the Boston Bruins than Michael Karlstrom. And that made him part of the family here at HF Boards - Bruins.

While I have no way of proving this fact, I do believe it to be a fact, that if you measured the word count or letter count of all of the posters here at HF Boards Bruins, no one contributed more words/letters/content on this board than Alberta O'Reilly Fan. I just don't see how that is possible.

Simply put, Michael Karlstrom to me is one of the all-time greats and legends on this board. Sadly this board is a lesser place today than it was two days ago before Mike's passing. I will miss his contributions and his banter.

RIP Mr. Michael Karlstrom. My condolences to his friends and family.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Reading his last post it is now obvious he was saying goodbye to us.

:cry:

Just found that post.

Objectively, that could be the most moving post I’ve read in 12 and a half years of visiting this board. To be that honest of a person is a massive life accomplishment. As heartbreaking as it is inspiring.

Last edited:

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
Just found that post.

Objectively, that could be the most moving post I’ve read in 12 and a half years of visiting this board. To be that honest of a person is a massive life accomplishment. As heartbreaking as it is inspiring.

Do you guys have a link to his final post ? I can't seem to find it, he was a great, imaginative, energetic, prolific poster, that is for sure.

Thank you,
James.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad