Rielly vs. Hyman

You Can Only Sign One Longterm, Who Do You Choose?

• Total voters

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Morgan Reilly.

As much as I love Hyman, you just can't replace Reilly easily. Whereas you CAN run out and add a Foligno or someone like that, to replace Hyman.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Right now they make about 7.25 combined. Add in maybe another 1-2 in savings from the goaltending, and the question needs to be if you are comfortable with losing Reilly and using the ~4mil on a replacement that offers a bit of a more balanced game but won't drive offense the same way.

My answer is yes, so I probably stick with Hyman

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Previous 2 seasons prior to signing their deals:

Iafallo: 113GP, 28G, 41A, 69P, 0.61PPG (16PPP)
Toffoli: 150GP, 37G, 41A, 78P, 0.52PPG (15PPP)
Laughton: 93GP, 20G, 24A, 44P, O.47PPG (0PPP)
Lowry: 95GP, 12G, 18A, 30P, 0.32PPG (2PPP)
Pearson: 105GP, 29G, 29A, 58P, 0.55PPG (13PPP)
Hyman: 94GP, 36G, 34A, 70P, 0.75PPG (11PPP)
Gallagher: 141GP, 55G, 40A, 95P, 0.67PPG (12PPP)

GMs don't just look at production and equate it to money. They look at how a player has produced, the situation he's in, his skills, to try and figure out how much he's going to produce for their team. Nobody thinks Hyman is a 60 point player outside of Toronto.

Reactions: Brobust

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Morgan Reilly.

As much as I love Hyman, you just can't replace Reilly easily. Whereas you CAN run out and add a Foligno or someone like that, to replace Hyman.

Yeah good luck replacing Hyman. He’s prime of his career and a legit power forward. How many truculent power forwards capable of scoring 25-30 goals do you think there are in the league?

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Everyone's answering this question assuming a long term deal for Rielly is an overpay and a longterm deal for Hyman is a steal.

If they each are asking for an overpay, let them both walk. If they're both willing to take a discount, then try to fit both.

It's only a question if both of their contract demands are reasonable.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sandin is a few years away if ever? Really. Kid has to play and given a chance. I like Morgan always have but he is not a #1 D man. Makes way too many mistakes defensively, can't quarterback a PP as he has no shot and quite honestly is not worth what he might command. Said it numerous times here and another site. Due to our cap issues and overpayment for the big 4 unless Reilly doesn't ask for the moon I would trade him in the off season. Leafs have made the mistake of losing free agents for nothing IE Bozak, JVR etc etc. Don't let that happen if Dubas can recoup some picks, prospects do it. Sandin is not as far away as you think and quite frankly brings the same intangibles as Morgan. Keep Hyman because he works his ass off not the most talented guy but deserving of a raise. Question is how much.

- He is the Leafs #1 defenceman, so unless you find someone else he is it.
- As for Sandin, you said it yourself: Kid has to play. Until then we don't know what his ceiling is. For now, the left side is Muzzin/Dermott/Sandin. Reilly has his flaws but Jake on the top pairing for the next, 2, 3 seasons? I like Muzz but yikes.
- As I pointed out, I didn't consider money as we don't know yet what each are looking for, but obviously it's a factor and it could sway my decision if Hyman takes a real team discount and/or Reilly thinks he's getting Pietrangelo money (or anything close)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Well, if you're putting Rielly down for something outrageous like 9m, there's no way that we keep him. I defend him plenty, but he's just not worth anywhere near that kind of cap space. Pietrangelo got 8.8, Rielly will be significantly under that. I think he gets more than Krug on the open market, but it would take a very desperate team to get anywhere near 8m. All of the flaws that we rightly see in Rielly's game are why he won't get the kind of salary that the cup winning all situations #1D got. Framing it up as Rielly at 8.5m or Hyman at 5m is pretty close to fishing for an answer tbh.

Hyman at 5m this summer, Rielly at 7m next summer and we can keep both. Theyre about equal to Nylander in terms of importance to team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Neither.

I don't see either player aging too well. Hyman's forechecking is done if he loses a step. Rielly also relies purely on his athleticism because his instincts are not 1st pair level.

That being said, I can see Hyman's contract being more manageable than Rielly's so I voted for him.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well, given the lack of specifics about the money involved, you always take a hard working winger over a 23 min a night Dman.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
- He is the Leafs #1 defenceman, so unless you find someone else he is it.
- As for Sandin, you said it yourself: Kid has to play. Until then we don't know what his ceiling is. For now, the left side is Muzzin/Dermott/Sandin. Reilly has his flaws but Jake on the top pairing for the next, 2, 3 seasons? I like Muzz but yikes.
- As I pointed out, I didn't consider money as we don't know yet what each are looking for, but obviously it's a factor and it could sway my decision if Hyman takes a real team discount and/or Reilly thinks he's getting Pietrangelo money (or anything close)

Well technically aren’t Muzzin & Holl the top pairing now? They take all the hard matchups, D zone draws and PK. Rielly gets ozone starts and PP

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Hyman, I'm not re-signing this version of Rielly long term considering the D prospects in the pipeline.

And I expect Seth Jones and Werenski both gone from Columbus a year from now, no way both stick around for a rebuild at their age.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Given the version of Rielly we’ve seen this year (and last), I’m not sure that “what number should he be re-signed for?” is the right question.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Hey I like Hyman and all that but top minutes defensemen are way more valuable than high-motor late 20's wingers who specialize in 6 foot goals. I hate making the choice. Before the cap freeze I thought Rielly was gone-zo but I think there's now a chance to fit him in with the depressed salaries league wide and Rielly's lowered offensive production.

Reactions: egd27

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If Rielly is asking for 8-9M let him walk. I like him but he's not that good. 6-7 is fair value for him. Let Freddy walk that frees up a lot of space right there.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman, its an easy choice for me. U dont get a better linemate than Hyman, u can trust him , u know he will be there every single game. This is very comforting. Hyman is in the arguement for best compete level in the NHL, scores 20-30 on a 82 game pace in recent years.

Reilly is over rated in this market. He is the #3 Dman on this team. I feel Reilly will again be very exposed in the playoffs. The worst part about Reilly losing battles in the D zone is the level of his pushback, he isnt wired to hate losing. Great skater, puck carrier who lacks high end hockey sense. I said this a few months ago, just purely based on hockey sense, Rasmus Sandin is smarter.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I question the idea of signing both long term in a flat cap to keep together a team that has yet to accomplish its goals.

Hyman at 3-4 years would be preferable, but we've also seen these power winger/grinders hit a brick wall in their early 30s after hitting the jackpot.

and Rielly is a TBD for me. With Hamilton and Jones approaching free agency, I think it would be worth keeping an eye on Rielly's game investigating whether a more dramatic D upgrade is in the cards.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad