Rielly vs. Hyman

You Can Only Sign One Longterm, Who Do You Choose?

• Total voters

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There is a very real possibility that the Leafs can only keep one of Rielly or Hyman. There is already a bunch of money tied up in the forwards, and 4.5 - 5.5M for Hyman bloats that total even more. Then again, Rielly will likely want 8 - 9M based on his offensive production and usage. Both are core players and big leaders on the team. Who do you sign longterm?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I get money/cap issues is a big part of the equation, but without knowing what they are asking for I'm taking the easy way out and comparing them based purely on their contribution, age and how the team would fare without them.

My case for Reilly:

- Reilly is 2 years younger, so not a big advantage but still a plus.
- Reilly is arguably the #1 defenceman, but clearly their top LD with no one else in the organization likely to take that away from him anytime soon: After Morgan you've got Muzzin, Dermott (assume for a minute he's not taken by the Kraken) and Sandin. Muzzin is a decent second-pairing guy, Dermott is nowhere close and Sandin is likely a few years away, if ever.
- Hyman plays the least important position (LW) and if gone, certainly the Leafs will be weak on that side (Foligno won't be back), but not nearly the impact of losing your top LD.

Make no mistake I really, really hope the Leafs re-sign Hyman and agree with everyone who recognizes what he brings to the team. Losing him would be a big loss, but if I had to pick only one, again money/term notwithstanding, based on what the team would look like afterwards, Reilly is the choice.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
I get money/cap issues is a big part of the equation, but without knowing what they are asking for I'm taking the easy way out and comparing them based purely on their contribution, age and how the team would fare without them.

My case for Reilly:

- Reilly is 2 years younger, so not a big advantage but still a plus.
- Reilly is arguably the #1 defenceman, but clearly their top LD with no one else in the organization likely to take that away from him anytime soon: After Morgan you've got Muzzin, Dermott (assume for a minute he's not taken by the Kraken) and Sandin. Muzzin is a decent second-pairing guy, Dermott is nowhere close and Sandin is likely a few years away, if ever.
- Hyman plays the least important position (LW) and if gone, certainly the Leafs will be weak on that side (Foligno won't be back), but not nearly the impact of losing your top LD.

Make no mistake I really, really hope the Leafs re-sign Hyman and agree with everyone who recognizes what he brings to the team. Losing him would be a big loss, but if I had to pick only one, again money/term notwithstanding, based on what the team would look like afterwards, Reilly is the choice.

Sandin is a few years away if ever? Really. Kid has to play and given a chance. I like Morgan always have but he is not a #1 D man. Makes way too many mistakes defensively, can't quarterback a PP as he has no shot and quite honestly is not worth what he might command. Said it numerous times here and another site. Due to our cap issues and overpayment for the big 4 unless Reilly doesn't ask for the moon I would trade him in the off season. Leafs have made the mistake of losing free agents for nothing IE Bozak, JVR etc etc. Don't let that happen if Dubas can recoup some picks, prospects do it. Sandin is not as far away as you think and quite frankly brings the same intangibles as Morgan. Keep Hyman because he works his ass off not the most talented guy but deserving of a raise. Question is how much.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Dubas has to be checking all options before re-signing either. If there is a reasonable replacement for either at a discount, I think he has to really consider this and depending on who is available, it could even mean an upgrade. Gotta let it all play out imho.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This question is flawed IMO...

It shouldn't, and cannot be a decision of Rielly versus Hyman -- the decision as to whether or not to sign a player has to be made based on the merits of signing that player for that term.

If Hyman is willing to sign something to the tune of $4.25 to $4.5m X 5 years; then yes, sign him.... move Kerfoot (if Seattle didn't take him) and spend ~$2 - $2.5m on a forward to replace him. If Hyman wants $5m+; forget it. He's a valuable player, no doubt, but you can get hardworking, low-creativity players for a lot less than that.

Rielly is a bit more difficult question -- given that at a hometown discount of his fair market value (somewhere around $8m x 8 I'd imagine), the salary structure just may not work with being able to keep all of the Big 4 up front and Brodie/Muzzin on the backend. Whether you have Zach Hyman at $4.25m or some other similar player at $3.5m isn't going to determine whether Rielly is going to continue as the face of the D.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Apologist

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
If cap wasn’t a thing, I’d most likely pick Rielly, but off cap prioritization & substitutes available, I think I go Hyman

Reactions: supermann_98

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Depends on contracts. I'm less optimistic than most about Hymans potential contract.

I just don't see a realistic scenario how Hyman only gets contract in the low 4's like that's been thrown around on this board.

- He's paced for 30 goals, 60 points the last two seasons.
- Provides PK value, and can play the PP if required.
- Can play anywhere in the lineup and be effective.
- Provides intangibles and is the type of player every team wants to add to their lineup.

I think his contract starts at 5 minimum, and it wouldn't shock me to see it go as high as 6-6.5mil.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Reilly skates well, but that's about it.
Couldn't defend if his life depends on it.

I would rather that we picked up a physical defenceman that could defend and box out opposing forwards than an overpriced soft marshmallow who has struggled for the past two years.

Hyman all the way!

Grit, goals, tenacity, skating ability, and overall good defensive abilities.
You don't subtract this quality if Hyman stays, but if he leaves in favor of Reilly staying-then these qualities will be sorely missed.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A lot of assumptions here.

A top defenceman is worth more than a winger. Harder to find, and harder to replace.

I keep Reilly over everyone but Matthews -- and maybe Marner -- and a top-notch goalie if they had one.

Reactions: The Apologist

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Depends on contracts. I'm less optimistic than most about Hymans potential contract.

I just don't see a realistic scenario how Hyman only gets contract in the low 4's like that's been thrown around on this board.

- He's paced for 30 goals, 60 points the last two seasons.
- Provides PK value, and can play the PP if required.
- Can play anywhere in the lineup and be effective.
- Provides intangibles and is the type of player every team wants to add to their lineup.

I think his contract starts at 5 minimum, and it wouldn't shock me to see it go as high as 6-6.5mil.

For a player to receive a salary, some GM has to think that's the best way he can spend his money.

Who the heck is going to think that a low-skill, average-sized player, that works really hard, but doesn't necessarily "play hard" (i.e. Tom Wilson), who generally rides shotgun with 2 of the best offensive players in the league is the best way to spend $6m+ with term in a flat-cap environment?

Zach Hyman is not a unicorn. There are a lot of guys out there who do similar things to him. Very few of them have teammates like Matthews & Marner.

Alex Iafallo got $4m x 4 years
Tyler Toffoli got $4.25m x 4 years
Scott Laughton got $3m x 5 years
Adam Lowry got $3.25m x 5 years
Tanner Pearson got $3.25m x 3 years

The Brendan Ghallager comparisons aren't at all realistic. Ghallager led his team in scoring; and is a pest to boot.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough to choose as either would be quite difficult to replace. Hyman's contract should be easier to fit into the cap situation going forward. An argument for Rielly is that he's the team's #1D.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Do I love my son more than my daughter. Dude.

I think a mercenary, like Dubas might even let them both go.

Remember PILAR.....

But both have been great, so let s the chat go. I don't want to go into it.

NBA, chumps make more than matthew and marner and they are okay, but wow. Things are out of whack.

Paskal Si.... Norman Powell.....

Making Absurd money.

Marner and Mattews together making less than
Norman Powell.....

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

The Brendan Ghallager comparisons aren't at all realistic. Ghallager led his team in scoring; and is a pest to boot.

Previous 2 seasons prior to signing their deals:

Iafallo: 113GP, 28G, 41A, 69P, 0.61PPG (16PPP)
Toffoli: 150GP, 37G, 41A, 78P, 0.52PPG (15PPP)
Laughton: 93GP, 20G, 24A, 44P, O.47PPG (0PPP)
Lowry: 95GP, 12G, 18A, 30P, 0.32PPG (2PPP)
Pearson: 105GP, 29G, 29A, 58P, 0.55PPG (13PPP)
Hyman: 94GP, 36G, 34A, 70P, 0.75PPG (11PPP)
Gallagher: 141GP, 55G, 40A, 95P, 0.67PPG (12PPP)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Zach Hyman is not a unicorn. There are a lot of guys out there who do similar things to him. Very few of them have teammates like Matthews & Marner.

Very few of them have a GM like Dubas, the dude likes to spend like he's a teen aged girl with daddy's credit card on Black Friday.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Previous 2 seasons prior to signing their deals:

Iafallo: 113GP, 28G, 41A, 69P, 0.61PPG (16PPP)
Toffoli: 150GP, 37G, 41A, 78P, 0.52PPG (15PPP)
Laughton: 93GP, 20G, 24A, 44P, O.47PPG (0PPP)
Lowry: 95GP, 12G, 18A, 30P, 0.32PPG (2PPP)
Pearson: 105GP, 29G, 29A, 58P, 0.55PPG (13PPP)
Hyman: 94GP, 36G, 34A, 70P, 0.75PPG (11PPP)
Gallagher: 141GP, 55G, 40A, 95P, 0.67PPG (12PPP)

.75 PPG? Crap that is getting close to 1st line production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad