Rielly vs. Hyman

You Can Only Sign One Longterm, Who Do You Choose?

• Total voters

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I would like to keep both, but if not possible, going forward it would be Hyman. He brings a dynamic on the forward lines that nobody else does. He digs and ends up with the puck so he can dish it to Matthews or Marner. Plus if you lose Simmons, you lose that completely from the team. As for Rielly, he would of been my first pick for captain before it was given to Tavares, but I am banking that Sandin will be stepping up and taking over his role going beyond this season

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
That's extreme. They don't need either of those players to get out of the North lol.

We got Foligno for the battle after we win the North in the playoffs.

Have you seen the last 4 postseasons? It really isn't that extreme. I would say it is realistic. Players like Foligno, Simmonds, Bogo, Nash were the missing pieces that would have been THE DIFFERENCE for our first round exits. You combine that with a better coach in Keefe, the scrappy play of Hyman, and stellar goaltending of Campbell and you have got a LEGITIMATE CONTENDER.

Acesup

Nov 23, 2019
Hyman went from underrated to overrated pretty fast. His offensive numbers would be poop if he didn't get stapled to mattnews and or marner. Nevermimd his inflated goal totals due to EN goals. I mean I like him and want him here but he is just not as valuable as ppl are making him out to be.

Reactions: hotpaws and Jeypic

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman went from underrated to overrated pretty fast. His offensive numbers would be poop if he didn't get stapled to mattnews and or marner. Nevermimd his inflated goal totals due to EN goals. I mean I like him and want him here but he is just not as valuable as ppl are making him out to be.

Anybody playing with Matty (and Marner) will have better numbers but Hyman has played well above his pay grade this year. Problem is his level of play may not be sustainable. Hence if he won't accept a number that works for the team, you have to allow him to walk.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
You resign your #1d before your top grinder.
Especially when your top grinder is probably at the peak of his prime looking for a contract that will not age well.
Also original poster seems to think Reilly is gonna be asking an outrageous price for some reason.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I believe people are overestimating what Rielly will be paid next year. I suspect he will receive a raise that makes him the highest paid Leaf D at 5.75 x 5 years. That will take him to 33 years of age with the chance of another contract. I think the same of Hyman, the estimates are too high. A very competitive, high energy fella who will be 29 when the next contract is signed. Certainly due a raise, I can't see a team committing 5+ M for an extended period when: a) the league is getting younger and faster, and b) his style of play takes a toll. Nick Foligno (a fair comparison I think) had his best year in 2014/15 with 73 points (at 27 years of age) and reaped a 5.5M contract over the next 6 years, during a time when there were no financial question marks the likes of which we see today. His contract has not aged well. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, but his next highest year of production was at the age of 29 with 51 points, and then the last 4 years he's scored 33, 35, 31 and this year's 20 with two games remaining. Hyman is older, has only played two seasons injury free (his first two), has missed a good number of games in each of the last 3 seasons, is on pace to score 62 points this year (placing him behind Foligno's best year) while playing with one of the best combinations in the league in Matthews and Marner. 4-4.25 M x 4.

Moving on from Kerfoot and Andersen takes care of both salary increases. Keep them both.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I really really really like those EN goals though.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I believe people are overestimating what Rielly will be paid next year. I suspect he will receive a raise that makes him the highest paid Leaf D at 5.75 x 5 years. That will take him to 33 years of age with the chance of another contract. I think the same of Hyman, the estimates are too high. A very competitive, high energy fella who will be 29 when the next contract is signed. Certainly due a raise, I can't see a team committing 5+ M for an extended period when: a) the league is getting younger and faster, and b) his style of play takes a toll. Nick Foligno (a fair comparison I think) had his best year in 2014/15 with 73 points (at 27 years of age) and reaped a 5.5M contract over the next 6 years, during a time when there were no financial question marks the likes of which we see today. His contract has not aged well. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, but his next highest year of production was at the age of 29 with 51 points, and then the last 4 years he's scored 33, 35, 31 and this year's 20 with two games remaining. Hyman is older, has only played two seasons injury free (his first two), has missed a good number of games in each of the last 3 seasons, is on pace to score 62 points this year (placing him behind Foligno's best year) while playing with one of the best combinations in the league in Matthews and Marner. 4-4.25 M x 4.

Moving on from Kerfoot and Andersen takes care of both salary increases. Keep them both.

Thats a mistake from my view. If Reilly is signed for 5 years, Rasmus Sandin has no chance of moving off the bottom pairing. Sandin imo can play Top 4 next year. Id rather have Sandin for the next 5 years who will get better and better vs Reilly and the warts he has I dont want him on this team, he can not defend, has a suspect hockey IQ.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Thats a mistake from my view. If Reilly is signed for 5 years, Rasmus Sandin has no chance of moving off the bottom pairing. Sandin imo can play Top 4 next year. Id rather have Sandin for the next 5 years who will get better and better vs Reilly and the warts he has I dont want him on this team, he can not defend, has a suspect hockey IQ.

Muzzin is 32 right now. By the time Sandin is even close to handling top 4 duties, Muzzin will likely be in his last year of his deal as a mid-30's defenseman who should not be handling 22 minutes a night anymore. Sandin can take over his role.

Same deal for Brodie and Liljegren on the right side.

At this point, Rielly's replacement would have to come externally... And there are not many options to do that right now. Unless we get Hamilton this offseason, we are keeping Rielly and maybe replacing him with one of the many high end options in UFA next year if we feel like we need to move on from him. It is extremely unlikely we trade him, because anything we get in return will not bring nearly as much value as what he brings to our team for next year.

All of our LD prospects outside of Sandin (Koster, Kokkonen, Kral, etc.) are likely nothing more than bottom pairing guys. They almost certainly won't be replacing Rielly or even Muzzin in any capacity.

Reactions: Jeypic and meefer

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
And you don’t think the same can be said about Reilly’s numbers?
They are also inflated by being on the ice with our #1 line and getting top PP minutes.
Hyman has made any line he has played on markedly better.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Wow never ever would I have guessed this board would rather him over Rielly. What a guy breaking all the molds he made this a no brainer.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Rielly is gonna get 6-7 mil range he wont get 8 or 9 relax. Rielly is definitely the better option to keep between the two but we can keep both.
I’m grateful you’re not the GM! Re-signing him to any kind of deal would be a huge mistake.
His is a 2nd pair D at best.
Move him and Andersuck and get a real top pair D and Goalie.
He is an absolute liability that we can do without.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I choose to keep Hyman for longer than Rielly, but would honestly not keep either "long term" in the sense of a 7 year deal. With smart cap management we should be able to move Rielly and go after a Dougie Hamilton, and Hyman should be kept for a max. of 4 years.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Please for the love of god move on from him and try someone else out.

Agreed. Did u see Reilly on the PP vs the JETS? He is terrified to shoot and its an issue thats worsened over the last few years. He had an open lane and time to skate into it and fire off a slap shot, he hesitated until that lane closed and passed off to Matthews predictably on the half wall, play snuffed out again. Reilly has limited hockey sense.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Ok I don’t wanna say it. We should look into trading Riley in the off season like the avs traded Barrie to us. Trade Riley for a decent forward with a good contract and send them engval and Riley. Promote sandin
Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-holl
Unknown-bogo
I love Riley but this game is a business and we need to create the best roster available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad