Rielly vs. Hyman

You Can Only Sign One Longterm, Who Do You Choose?

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Very tough call, and it depends heavily on salary and term expectations for both. Hyman will be 29 this summer and I would expect significant decline by year 4 of any deal. I don't think he can earn a $5M salary with term so if thats what he needs I would let him go. Rielly is younger and I think with his skating his game will age better but he will cost a lot more than ZH and D with offense and only average defensive skill are more available than an all situations guy that you might want as your #1. Rielly can be traded for real value this summer where Hyman ends up an own rental that just walks for nothing so maybe the trade return for Morgs is the tipping point.

The money and years Hyman might demand this summer is the first hurdle, and if KD is smart he at least looks into Rielly's trade value at the same time. They are top heavy AF and really need some value deals without having to rely on scouring the bargain basement for seniors who want to come home. Depending on whether Campbell has a strong playoff or not they may have to re-budget to spend a bit on goaltending.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Agreed. Did u see Reilly on the PP vs the JETS? He is terrified to shoot and its an issue thats worsened over the last few years. He had an open lane and time to skate into it and fire off a slap shot, he hesitated until that lane closed and passed off to Matthews predictably on the half wall, play snuffed out again. Reilly has limited hockey sense.

It's almost as if he was being remotely controlled with a slight time delay. He seems to freeze for a second whenever he gets the puck...he can't actually think fast enough to do any real damage on the PP or frankly at even strength. The part that really infuriates me is his shot. Babcock is gone...you're allowed to use your clapper now...but he won't...he uses his weak wrist shot because he has had it ingrained in him that wristers on net (even if weak) are a better choice than taking the chance of a blocked shot going the other way.

If I am a defenseman and I give up pretty much all of the points I make by being horrific on D...what is point of having a break even guy? They are lauding JT for being more responsible defensively this year and not just breaking even....why do we not apply the same logic to Reilly? Why is it ok for him to give up all he provides in offense right back on the D-side?

Trade him for a young D-man that can grow with the team over the next few years. Do not under any circumstances give him a new deal at over $6m....we will regret it.

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
We all know rielly isn't a top pair defensemen, hes a top 4 d man that struggles on the d side and doesn't play a physical game at all. He needs to be put in situation that is ideal for him like offensive zone starts and power play minutes but the biggest issue is that he hasn't proven/shown enough to be the go too offensive player. However theres no other place to put him so he continues to get power play minutes. I would not sign rielly if the price is over 5 million, honestly I would trade him like how others have mentioned. Sad that Rielly didn't develop into the player he had potential of becoming.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't see much debate between these two. Hyman worked his way up from nobody to an integral member of this team that we universally want to keep. Rielly began as a 5th overall pick with every opportunity to succeed and has us questioning his impact. That fact this debate even exists is a huge strike against Rielly. We can question whether Hyman will be effective long-term, but we're questioning Rielly's effectiveness now.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Sign then both but cheat the salary cap like the lightening do. Sign both Rielly and Hyman to league minimum deal and slip some envelopes to their uncles

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I’m grateful you’re not the GM! Re-signing him to any kind of deal would be a huge mistake.
His is a 2nd pair D at best.
Move him and Andersuck and get a real top pair D and Goalie.
He is an absolute liability that we can do without.
I guess we'll see if Dubas re-signs him or not

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I guess we'll see if Dubas re-signs him or not
True. That’s why he’s the GM and I’m sitting at home. We need to start thinking of re-signing our stars in a few years and with Sandin looking very good, I’m of the opinion to move on from Reilly.
There is no denying his play is on the decline and beyond his best years.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
It's almost as if he was being remotely controlled with a slight time delay. He seems to freeze for a second whenever he gets the puck...he can't actually think fast enough to do any real damage on the PP or frankly at even strength. The part that really infuriates me is his shot. Babcock is gone...you're allowed to use your clapper now...but he won't...he uses his weak wrist shot because he has had it ingrained in him that wristers on net (even if weak) are a better choice than taking the chance of a blocked shot going the other way.

If I am a defenseman and I give up pretty much all of the points I make by being horrific on D...what is point of having a break even guy? They are lauding JT for being more responsible defensively this year and not just breaking even....why do we not apply the same logic to Reilly? Why is it ok for him to give up all he provides in offense right back on the D-side?

Trade him for a young D-man that can grow with the team over the next few years. Do not under any circumstances give him a new deal at over $6m....we will regret it.
100% correct on his freezing when the puck hits his stick, it’s see it all the time.
He lacks vision and creativity and when he does try to move the puck quickly, is often off the mark. Hopefully, management is seeing what we all are seeing.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
MR has worn out his welcome in a structured defensive team for me. I just don’t like him. Sandin can replace him for me in a hard cap any day. I hope they trade him at the draft for a great return. Asset retention that is cap friendly and improves the team is very possible.

Dubas needs his list of the 10 teams he doesn’t want to go to.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
If we had to make a choice IAEC - Hyman. Reilly not sure I would want him to stay at all with guys like Dermott and Sandin waiting in the ranks

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
True. That’s why he’s the GM and I’m sitting at home. We need to start thinking of re-signing our stars in a few years and with Sandin looking very good, I’m of the opinion to move on from Reilly.
There is no denying his play is on the decline and beyond his best years.
a 27 year old d man and there is no denying that hes declining? wtf are you talking about? Maybe hes just having a bad year...? I guess you can predict the future though

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
a 27 year old d man and there is no denying that hes declining? wtf are you talking about? Maybe hes just having a bad year...? I guess you can predict the future though
His best years are behind him. You are delirious if you think paying him as a number 1 D at 28 years old and when is skill set does not even come close to justifying it.
We need other pieces; a real #1 to play with Brodie, a #1 goaltender, a couple of solid bottom 6 forwards.
The time is right to move him now. You can still be a fan of his in other city.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rielly easily, Hyman has already had 2 major knee and I'm not sure he'd be nearly as good if he went to a team without the elite talent Toronto has.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
His best years are behind him. You are delirious if you think paying him as a number 1 D at 28 years old and when is skill set does not even come close to justifying it.
We need other pieces; a real #1 to play with Brodie, a #1 goaltender, a couple of solid bottom 6 forwards.
The time is right to move him now. You can still be a fan of his in other city.
I guess because you say it, it makes it true.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Rielly doesn’t fit the mold of a Kyle Dubas cerebral high IQ player. His signature play is jumping into the rush and circling the net.

Assuming we lose Kerfoot to expansion, Dermott & Sandin will be looking to move up the lineup at some point. Time to open up that slot

Reactions: Captain14

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
With Hyman you worry about how his body will keep up in a few years and how much it will cost given his impressive levels of offensive productivity.

With Rielly I question his place on the team as I don't think he's a guy you want getting top minutes long-term, and I don't think you get him for lower pair money. This year has been bad, but I personally wasn't all that impressed last year. The defensive shortcomings have always been there, but outside of his 70 point year and maybe the one before that, I do think his offensive decision-making has also left a lot to be desired.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
There is a very real possibility that the Leafs can only keep one of Rielly or Hyman. There is already a bunch of money tied up in the forwards, and 4.5 - 5.5M for Hyman bloats that total even more. Then again, Rielly will likely want 8 - 9M based on his offensive production and usage. Both are core players and big leaders on the team. Who do you sign longterm?
you need to add a neither button, because if Hyman wants 5mil, i dont resign him. i dont even resign him at 4.5.
Reilly, i'd trade

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly doesn’t fit the mold of a Kyle Dubas cerebral high IQ player. His signature play is jumping into the rush and circling the net.

Assuming we lose Kerfoot to expansion, Dermott & Sandin will be looking to move up the lineup at some point. Time to open up that slot

I think Sam Girard would fit the Dubas mould. With a cap crunch coming to Colorado and Makar, Girard, Byram and Toews under one roof I wonder what could happen on that front?

Rielly sometimes looks like he’s on a 4G network in a 5G game. I always wanted to see him work in an off speed transition game but he doesn’t pick the right moments to speed up or slow down at all. He often seems to puck watch for an extra split second or freezes himself in split second decisions before forcing a play.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Good news is Rielly should be had at a reasonable cap hit. He once looked like he was on the brink of being a #1 defenseman and then he sort of stopped and regressed a bit. Unsure why he has never developed a slap shot.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad