Rielly vs. Hyman

You Can Only Sign One Longterm, Who Do You Choose?

• Total voters

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Is keeping both and letting the current GM walk and then having the new guy re-sign both?

:)
You mean sack the GM then because his contract isn't up before either of them and the only walking he is doing is to the best season (ppg) in Leafs history.

But yes let's sack that man because he doesn't fit our outdated preconceived notion of who should be GM

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
without Hyman and Foligno this team doesn't get past the first round

That's extreme. They don't need either of those players to get out of the North lol.

We got Foligno for the battle after we win the North in the playoffs.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Trade Reilly for a haul of assets. He is a liability in his own zone. Can’t quarterback a power play. He would excel at sheltered minutes.

Hyman game continues to improve and has proven he can play on all lines and situations.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Trade Reilly for a haul of assets. He is a liability in his own zone. Can’t quarterback a power play. He would excel at sheltered minutes.

Hyman game continues to improve and has proven he can play on all lines and situations.

if you could trade Rielly for a young defenseman who doesn't need protection I would go that route.

Then again a defenseman could turn into a number 1 in the late 20's but I don't get that vibe from him.

Perhaps his skating camouflaged too many deficiencies to properly project his ceiling.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
This is no debate, keep Hyman. That’s my opinion. It would have been no question keep Rielly a couple yrs ago but Rielly is expendable with Sandin and a chip. He can bring back assets. Most importantly Hyman is legit 1st line winger who is also versatile and surprisingly continues to improve every year which is ridiculous

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Hyman is the heart ansd soul of the team. He's a glue guy who can score goals and play on any line. He's worth 5.5M/year.

Watch out or Detroit might snag him this summer. They have about $50M to spend on free agents. Yzerman may value a high end grinder who can score goals and be a leader by example. Hyman played for Michigan and was UM's leading scorer, and the Big Ten Scoring Champion. He'd feel right at home in Detroit which is only a puddle jump from Toronto for his family to watch him play.

Rielly is AHL caliber bad defensively. Offensively he's above average with his skating and moving the puck but he's not exactly a playmaker or have much of a point shot.

They keep Hyman.

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I think Rielly has a lot of perceived value vs what he actually is, I would look to move him for that reason alone (dont get me wrong, I love the player)

Hyman is a guy you keep a leaf for as long as doable, I think he wants to stay and will take a discount, I dont get the same sense with Rielly.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
If we could get another 4-5M defense first player like Brodie to sign here and replace Reilly I'd make that move. Let the others like Sandin run the offensive requirements from the back while our overall defensive standing improves.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Rielly is gonna get 6-7 mil range he wont get 8 or 9 relax. Rielly is definitely the better option to keep between the two but we can keep both.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
That's extreme. They don't need either of those players to get out of the North lol.

We got Foligno for the battle after we win the North in the playoffs.
Habs lead the league in hits and the Jets are a big bruising team as well. Come playoff time, that'll ramp up even more. Guys like Hyman and Foligno will be huge in getting out of the North. If you get outworked you're not gonna win a best of 7 with just skill. Heck we lost to Columbus last year. Montreal put out Pittsburgh etc. Playoffs are a different animal, fortunately Dubas has learned that. Thats why we brought in Foligno and Nash instead of a Taylor Hall. (Not to mention Simmonds, Thornton, Bogosian in free agency)

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If we could get another 4-5M defense first player like Brodie to sign here and replace Reilly I'd make that move. Let the others like Sandin run the offensive requirements from the back while our overall defensive standing improves.
Great point. I take Brodie on the ice when it matters over Rielly every day of the week! Brodie has been exceptional for us and exactly what the doctor ordered. Never watched him in depth when he was a Flame, but I've been blown away with how quiet his game is and how he makes such smart decisions with the puck. We have a high octane offence, a Brodie is more necessary than a Rielly on the backend.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Rielly and its not even close IMO. Top 2 dmen are hard to find. We drafted and developed him ourselves and he is a great leader on our back end. Players like him tend to last longer in the league as well as opposed to Hyman who takes a licken out their. Dont get me wrong I LOVE Hyman but when his decline starts its gonna be fast and brutal.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not concerned about picking. I think we can retain both. My biggest curiousity now is if we can sign them to reasonable enough cap hits we might have some money to play with to try to retain Foligno past this year. It'd be nice to have him for more than 1 run

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think they need to re-sign Rielly or replace him upon expiry with a high end defenseman. There are several defenseman expiring the same year he does at similar talent levels, but with some different skillsets and contract leverage.

Rielly for Parayko, Nurse, Ristolainen+, Pulock+

or

Rielly for Futures and sign Hamilton

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Mo's the rarer talent today so you keep him.

He's worth 6.5-7, which means he could get 8 on the market.

If Sandin plays next year and becomes a good puckmoving #3 with more ceiling, or they get one of the boys who is up around the same time (Parayko, Klingberg or Hamilton, Jones is a pipe dream), try to ship him and if you can't, thank him for his service and wish him well.

Hyman will be 29 when he signs.

He's scored at a 30 goal pace for the last 100 games.

It's just a pace but we've seen guys get paid on pace before.

I think he'd take 5.0x4 but I'd prefer 4.0x6.

The cap has to go up, new TV deal and new team.

Give Hyman at least some of Freddy's money this summer, and if the cap goes up to 85 and we can finally get Kessel's retention (1.2) off the books I'd even give Morgan his 6.5, because we'd still have space.

I'm going to assume one of Kerfoot or Mikheyev is traded within the next 365 days, and we'll only bring back three of Galchenyuk, Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds, Bogo and Hutton (Spezza (1.8), Thornton (1) and Bogo(1.25)).

I cautiously voted for Mo, because we're almost certainly keeping Hyman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad