Post-Game Talk: Ride the Schneider to Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We scored 3 goals for Cory tonight too. Wish we could start scoring consistently for him. We really should have only needed 2 though.

Can Salvador be a healthy scratch tomorrow please? He needs some rest.

Zajacs Faceoff

Sep 22, 2011
After tonight and from what I saw Pete say after the game, to me here is the situation. Lou doesn't want to give up futures. We hit some bad luck after some glory years and this is the best roster we can put on the ice. Pete knows his job is on the line here because Lou isn't giving up anymore futures to get better now, he saw the misfortune with Kovalchuk leaving. Pete needs to put the best lineup out there to win, not looking to develop players at this point in the game. If Gelinas is only playing minutes when we need offense, then development aside, that may be our best tactic to winning. We aren't getting a pick this year, so put development aside and do the best we can do. Focus on development when we get rewarded for being back. Pete has made what looks like some bad personnel decisions, but hes a young coach that is likable by players. Something this team hasnt had in a while

KidRobot

Mar 30, 2009
NEW JERSEY
After tonight and from what I saw Pete say after the game, to me here is the situation. Lou doesn't want to give up futures. We hit some bad luck after some glory years and this is the best roster we can put on the ice. Pete knows his job is on the line here because Lou isn't giving up anymore futures to get better now, he saw the misfortune with Kovalchuk leaving. Pete needs to put the best lineup out there to win, not looking to develop players at this point in the game. If Gelinas is only playing minutes when we need offense, then development aside, that may be our best tactic to winning. We aren't getting a pick this year, so put development aside and do the best we can do. Focus on development when we get rewarded for being back. Pete has made what looks like some bad personnel decisions, but hes a young coach that is likable by players. Something this team hasnt had in a while

So basically we're the Jets.

We have an owner, GM and head coach that all want different things.

The owner wants immediate and prolonged success, GM wants the future in tact and the head coach knows he has to win now to keep is job.

You know who it sucks for? The Fans.

Zajacs Faceoff

Sep 22, 2011
So basically we're the Jets.

We have an owner, GM and head coach that all want different things.

The owner wants immediate and prolonged success, GM wants the future in tact and the head coach knows he has to win now to keep is job.

You know who it sucks for? The Fans.

No, we aren't the Jets, we aren't perennial losers. This year, losing gets us nothing, we lost our 1st overall pick to misfortune. The owners want success, and from what it seems like, they are willing to give it a little bit of time. Lou realizes that there is no need to give up futures right now, its not worth it. Therefore since losing gets us nothing, so we try and do our best to win, we can focus on development next season. Also keep in mind, this board is going crazy over a team that is one point out of a playoff spot. To many teams, this would be a good season. So what, we aren't the best team in the league, in our down years, we are worth watching. This isn't a bad season, we are competitive. You want to see bad, look at the edmonton, look at calgary, look at buffalo. Heck, Minnesota apparently has the best team in years, yet they are struggling to maintain a playoff spot, not much better off than us. We have been spoiled, and we deserve a winning product, but a year of being on the bubble isn't so bad.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Gelinas with less than 3 minutes? Why even dress him?

And Elias with less icetime than Ryder, Zubrus, Clowe and Gionta? You can't make that **** up. We are starving for offense and Elias gets less icetime than Stephen Gionta?:biglaugh::loony:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I am happy that we did get the W but it still doesn't excuse the coach making bad decisions. Not everything is bad even in a loss and not everything great even when you get the W.

I agree, it just seems the negativity outweighs the positivity around here more often than not.

Rella17

May 21, 2010
Bergen
I agree, it just seems the negativity outweighs the positivity around here more often than not.

because we win in spite of ourselves a lot

i mean yeah 2 points is all that matters at the end of the day, but Sal-Volch out there to hold the lead? Gelinas playing 3 minutes all game? Elias getting less time than Gio among others?

its just baffling how hard we seem to make it on ourselves some nights when anyone who has watched just 1 game can tell what this team should be doing.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
There are days you get an L because of a tight game in which the team played really well, like the Anaheim or San Jose games a couple of months ago, so no one complains, kinda.

Buckingham Claude*

So in other words you are saying we have one heck of a coach! LOL.

Buckingham Claude*

That game was an outrage last night. Pete Deboer is beyond lucky that game didn't go 3-2 Dallas. The coach is an absolute albatross around our necks as an organization.

The fact that some fans are dreaming of possible conspiracies as to why the coach would put together such an unreasonable game roster only proves how weak this coach's decisions have become.

Devils hockey has become a turn off to me. I am still here because hockey is in my blood, but to see the Pete Deboer run young talent into the ground and then force AHL crap down our throats is too much to handle.

I went to be and never watched OT last night Figures they win.

Rella17

May 21, 2010
Bergen
the problem is we're still close enough to the playoffs so that Lou won't just throw in the towel and trade guys like Jagr and Zids for picks or a prospect or two. we'll hang onto them, miss the playoffs then lose both in FA in the summer for nothing. and good god almighty why is Salvador still logging big minutes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Gelinas with less than 3 minutes? Why even dress him?

And Elias with less icetime than Ryder, Zubrus, Clowe and Gionta? You can't make that **** up. We are starving for offense and Elias gets less icetime than Stephen Gionta?:biglaugh::loony:

That's why I was puzzled everyone was referring to Elias-Gionta-Brunner as the second line. I thought they were the third line all along tbh, and combined with the whole dressing three centers thing and all of them double shifting, you have Gionta playing more.

But I can't really kill Pete for giving one of his older players a few less minutes on the front end of a back-to-back. Unless it happens again tonight in a close game.

HunteDxEntitY

Jan 5, 2014
Section 118
It was soooo frustrating when they tied it in the final minute.. especially seeing Salvador in a mad scramble in front of the net, when all he was doing was screening Schneider lol

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
That's why I was puzzled everyone was referring to Elias-Gionta-Brunner as the second line. I thought they were the third line all along tbh, and combined with the whole dressing three centers thing and all of them double shifting, you have Gionta playing more.

But I can't really kill Pete for giving one of his older players a few less minutes on the front end of a back-to-back. Unless it happens again tonight in a close game.

Exactly - Henrique line is our teams 2nd. Pete even said that he played Gionta more than he wanted last night and Gionta only played 16:34. There is a reason why Gionta only has 12:18 ATOI this season -less than last year a 13:02.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Kind of a bittersweet win I guess. It's kind of ridiculous that DeBoer can bench Gelinas for two whole periods and then throw him out there for overtime like his legs are fresh... The use of Gionta is mind boggling. He should NEVER have more ice time than Elias I mean c'mon...

So yeah, great we got the two points but it did not change my opinion/stance on this coach.

day1devilsfan

Jul 19, 2011
Interwebz of PA
Can we please do this tonight if Zubby is in:

Zubby-Zajac-Jagr
Elias-Loki-Brunner
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
CBGB

If Zubby is out

JJ-Zajac-Jagr
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Elias-Loki-Brunner