Post-Game Talk: Ride the Schneider to Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The Devils have giving up 2.34 goals per game (5th in NHL)with the 26th rank SV% (5on5). They obviously don't mess up as much as you people think.

Wait....so how many goals they actually give up is an indication of how good their defense is? I'm not a statistics guy but I remember seeing so many breakdowns by certain players that fortunately, or unfortunately, have not resulted in goals.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
It's very difficult to convert Gelinas. I mean, his value is >>> as a D-Man than it is as a forward, for one. I think before Lou ever tried to convert him he'd trade him.

The value of an Eric Gelinas as a D >> than his potential as a forward in my opinion. He's not going to be a top 6 guy. At best he's, what, a Brian Rolston?

I think it's in his best interest to be given every chance to succeed as a D.

Brian Rolston had a heck of an NHL career. Gelinas would be lucky to be anywhere near him.

I rather leave him at D and teach him positioning and 1on1 work.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Wait....so how many goals they actually give up is an indication of how good their defense is? I'm not a statistics guy but I remember seeing so many breakdowns by certain players that fortunately, or unfortunately, have not resulted in goals.

Teams that don't let up goals generally are good defensively.

GA/G
1 LAK - 2.07
2 BOS - 2.19
3 STL - 2.25
4 SJS - 2.33
5 NJD - 2.34

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Brian Rolston had a heck of an NHL career. Gelinas would be lucky to be anywhere near him.

I rather leave him at D and teach him positioning and 1on1 work.

I loved Rolston here even when everyone hated him (how can you not love his shot?). On Average he was a 49 point guy. Which is great and all but Gelly's potential as a D is much higher than that. Franchise caliber D.

His potential at D is worth letting the kid figure it out.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
If only we could borrow Larry Robinson for a little while.

This is really annoying. Can you need me one great Defensive player Larry Robinson developed for us? Fayne? I love Larry, but he wasn't a god. Same thing can be said for Lemiere.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I loved Rolston here even when everyone hated him (how can you not love his shot?). On Average he was a 49 point guy. Which is great and all but Gelly's potential as a D is much higher than that. Franchise caliber D.

His potential at D is worth letting the kid figure it out.

If you look at his Adjusted goals totals he has 5 seasons of 30+ goals.

What do you think Gelly potential is? I could use a laugh today.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Larry was developing Larsson just fine. There wasn't a lot else to develop then.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The areas that Gelinas has been lacking are totally correctable. Taking bad angles, bad pinches, etc. His deficiencies are totally overblown, especially considering what he brings at the other end of the ice.

I don't understand how Merrill gets a tenth of the flack but makes just as many if not more mistakes and brings a fraction of the offense at this point.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Larry was developing Larsson just fine. There wasn't a lot else to develop then.

Losing Larry hurts a ton. And I know we've brought it up around here quite a bit but we just don't seem to have someone capable of providing good instruction to these young kids. I would have loved Larry here to just coach up these young D that we have coming through the pipeline.

The reason I have no faith in this coaching staff is Adam Larsson. The kid has come out and said multiple times that he receives no instruction. "I don't know why I'm sitting, coaches never told me." "I don't know what I did wrong, coaches never told me." "I don't know if I'm playing, coaches haven't told me." "I'm healthy, but the coaches think I'm not."

The areas that Gelinas has been lacking are totally correctable. Taking bad angles, bad pinches, etc. His deficiencies are totally overblown, especially considering what he brings at the other end of the ice.

I don't understand how Merrill gets a tenth of the flack but makes just as many if not more mistakes and brings a fraction of the offense at this point.

I agree with you 100% on Gelinas however I do think Merrill makes less mistakes and plays a much safer game. If he didn't play a safe game, he wouldn't be up here.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This is really annoying. Can you need me one great Defensive player Larry Robinson developed for us? Fayne? I love Larry, but he wasn't a god. Same thing can be said for Lemiere.

It's not necessarily about the development as much as it is about having him under Larry's wing in the first place. You couldn't ask for a better mentor and a better teacher. Larry knows better than anyone when to push what buttons as a coach.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

I think it's even simpler than that. Gelinas is reacting and not reading. He sees a puck/man and goes to make a play, creating an issue 2 plays down the road. When he gets more comfortable the play will come to him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Andy Greene

Robinson came back in 07-08 season and left after 11-12 season.

Andy Greene didn't break out until 2009-10 season (Lemaire coach) and looked lost in 2010-11 (Lemaire HC 2nd half), 2011-12 (Pete 1st year).

Greene is now looking better than ever.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Robinson came back in 07-08 season and left after 11-12 season.

Andy Greene didn't break out until 2009-10 season (Lemaire coach) and looked lost in 2010-11 (Lemaire HC 2nd half), 2011-12 (Pete 1st year).

Greene is now looking better than ever.

4 pts in 18 games for Greene. Looking awesome.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
It's not necessarily about the development as much as it is about having him under Larry's wing in the first place. You couldn't ask for a better mentor and a better teacher. Larry knows better than anyone when to push what buttons as a coach.

My issue is everyone thinks Stevens is a terrible coach for prospects because that makes you guys happy. Even if Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson develop into great players 2 years from now people will still say they did it in spite of Stevens as the coach. People will say they could have been so much better if Larry stayed around. I find all this annoying because nobody knows what goes on in practice or during video work.

For all we know Stevens or Pete could be the 2nd coming of Lemaire.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
My issue is everyone thinks Stevens is a terrible coach for prospects because that makes you guys happy. Even if Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson develop into great players 2 years from now people will still say they did it in spite of Stevens as the coach. People will say they could have been so much better if Larry stayed around. I find all this annoying because nobody knows what goes on in practice or during video work.

For all we know Stevens or Pete could be the 2nd coming of Lemaire.

It's too early to say for Stevens' coaching career. I don't notice him communicate with his players directly as much as Larry, but not everyone is the same style of coach. I need to see more from Stevens before I comment.

On the other hand with DeBoer, though, he clearly is mismanaging the minutes of his players and I think that is ultimately where his downfall will be from. He makes many head scratching moves with his lineups. If he's the second coming of Lemaire, I'll eat my hat.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
It's too early to say for Stevens' coaching career. I don't notice him communicate with his players directly as much as Larry, but not everyone is the same style of coach. I need to see more from Stevens before I comment.

On the other hand with DeBoer, though, he clearly is mismanaging the minutes of his players and I think that is ultimately where his downfall will be from. He makes many head scratching moves with his lineups. If he's the second coming of Lemaire, I'll eat my hat.

Lemaire was a system first guy who is infamous for never having set lines. Forcing people to play defense first hockey.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
"I like Peter (DeBoer) a lot. I enjoyed my time there. (Barr) said, 'Well, he' a lot like Peter.' They're just good people that work hard. They're not just good coaches because they show up at the rink. They put in the hours and work load and communicate well."

He said he still follows the Devils closely.

"My time in Jersey was very very special," Robinson said. "They're still close to my heart. I watch them play. I like the people and the organization. I'm happy they got things straightened around. I haven't met the new ownership but it seems to be pretty good. Lou (Lamoriello) deserves it."

This is what Larry had to say about Pete this year.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

Lemaire's first 4 years as a head coach he made the Conference Finals twice, The playoffs all 4 times, and won a Cup. 17 years as a head coach he missed the playoffs 7 times. Once with a .622 Win Pct. taking over for a terrible coach and only twice has he ever coached a team with a sub .500 Win Pct.

I think it's safe to say that it's incredibly speculative and premature to even propose the possibility of Pete Deboer being the next Lemaire.

Adam Henrique could be the next Wayne Gretzky. Who knows right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad