Post-Game Talk: Ride the Schneider to Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I really don't remember him doing anything crazy... He only got power play time in the first period and that's it I believe.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Steven's handles the defensive pairs and Gelinas looked awful early on. He nearly fell twice on simply 2on2 that could have cost us the game.

He played 2 minutes in the first period and that was it. There's no way anything he could have done could cost the team the game with that ice time.

Did you happen to catch Merrill almost peeing his pants and falling over himself with no opposing player in site about 5-10 times?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Steven's handles the defensive pairs and Gelinas looked awful early on. He nearly fell twice on simply 2on2 that could have cost us the game.

Adam Larsson made a brutal breakout pass in Albany the other game that lead to a 3 on 1. in NJ that gets him benched. in Albany, he continued on and notched 3 assists

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Jagr is now tied for 8th among forwards in plus/minus. Also found the below quotes funny.

DALLAS - Dallas Stars right wing Ryan Garbutt still can't believe what he saw last season when entering an oversized hot tub at his team's practice rink.

Most guys go there to get loose.

Not Devils right wing Jaromir Jagr, his teammate in Dallas for the first part of the 2013 lockout-shortened campaign.

"Jags actually would bring his hockey stick in the pool to work on his grip strength," Garbutt said Thursday. "He'd be in there making waves with his stick. And I saw him doing it a few times. He'd keep a stick in there."

Just part of his extensive workout program, Jagr explained later, while adding that he actually was working on strengthening his stomach muscles.

"That was my workout," said Jagr, who turns 42 on Feb. 15. "It's a pretty good workout if you get used to it."

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Adam Larsson made a brutal breakout pass in Albany the other game that lead to a 3 on 1. in NJ that gets him benched. in Albany, he continued on and notched 3 assists

Difference is in Albany they can score goals and the #1 goal is to develop players not win games.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Difference is in Albany they can score goals and the #1 goal is to develop players not win games.

so you are in favour of benching a player the moment they make a mistake?

after about 5 minutes Andy Greene would be our only active player

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
He played 2 minutes in the first period and that was it. There's no way anything he could have done could cost the team the game with that ice time.

Did you happen to catch Merrill almost peeing his pants and falling over himself with no opposing player in site about 5-10 times?

What? His very first shift could have resulted in a goal. His long reach saved him because he was able to get enough of the puck to sweep it away. What is the Devils record when we give up the first goal?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
so you are in favour of benching a player the moment they make a mistake?

after about 5 minutes Andy Greene would be our only active player

I am in favour of sending Gelinas to the AHL so he can develop.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF

cant learn to defend against NHL players in the AHL. hes done his time in the minors. needs to learn on the job. noone is perfect their rookie year

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

I would be okay with that as well.... Although I think Merrill should be sent first.

Problem is, and this is why we are all frustrated, is because Merrill is not going to develop in the press box. Gelinas is not going to develop or fix any of his mistakes with 2 min of ice time. It's just the way it is being handled that is driving us crazy.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
This logic is fine....except we have "veterans" who mess up repeatedly without consequences. How is that fair?

The Devils have giving up 2.34 goals per game (5th in NHL)with the 26th rank SV% (5on5). They obviously don't mess up as much as you people think.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
cant learn to defend against NHL players in the AHL. hes done his time in the minors. needs to learn on the job. noone is perfect their rookie year

Gelinas is the worst defenseman in his own zone I have seen in recent memory. He looks like a forward playing defense. I am not even sure if he can defend AHL players.

I have no problems with rookies making mistake but there is a point where the player clearly isn't ready for the NHL and Gelinas is clearly not ready for the NHL.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Gelinas is just raw. If he can learn his craft here under a competent coaching staff then keep him here.

If not send him down.

Priority should be with his development. Playing 3 minutes a night isn't going to help this kid's development.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
Why would you play a player just 2 minutes, and follow it up by using him on 3 on 3 for the start of OT. That is like.. WOAH. It just shows you he has no idea what to do with him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not that Gelinas can't defend, he doesn't WANT to defend. Big difference. I'm starting to think his head got big with his offensive success and now he only wants to score.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
It's very difficult to convert Gelinas. I mean, his value is >>> as a D-Man than it is as a forward, for one. I think before Lou ever tried to convert him he'd trade him.

The value of an Eric Gelinas as a D >> than his potential as a forward in my opinion. He's not going to be a top 6 guy. At best he's, what, a Brian Rolston?

I think it's in his best interest to be given every chance to succeed as a D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad