Value of: Retooling/rebuilding the Flames

Ledge And Dairy

Ergo we remain an average team too scared to make the moves we need to win. Keller is a better hockey player than Monahan without question. Just watch the games, Monahan almost never creates his own chances over the past 2-3 seasons. Keller and Gaudreau would be a dynamic combo that would help take Gaudreau to the next level. Monahan definitely has his strengths but he isn’t nearly dynamic enough to play with Johnny.
Adding Keller to a core of Gaudreau Lindholm and Tkachuk is a huge upgrade from Monahan. We can’t be so stuck in this holding pattern where we’re too scared to move anyone without a clear upgrade, because that’s never gonna happen. Especially when we have no more expendable picks or prospects of value.

having said that we can’t take on all 13 mil of salary in this trade and give up only ~9 mil. We’d need Arizona to take on more salary because of Schmaltz’s awful long-term contract

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Keller
Tkachuk-Schmaltz-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-_______
Lucic-Ryan-Reider
Gio Brodie

Is better than

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Dube-Ryan-Bennett
Lucic-____-Reider
Keller better than Monahan? Keller literally has the exact same issue you describe Monahan to have, he cant create his own chances.

Also your line up is significantly worse, you took away any potential in center depth by shifting Lindholm to 1C and trading Monahan, then put a winger at 2C. Now the team has zero right handed wingers and zero center depth

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Flames need top 6 centers and dont need left wingers just as much as Arizona, this package ia a non starter for Calgary

Keller and Schmaltz have played RW before. I can't say it makes us a better team, in fact, it's a lateral move but I'd be willing to do it.

To CGY
Clayton Keller
Nick Schmaltz

To ARI
Sean Monahan
Sam Bennett

I may be in the minority, but I'd do it. Feel like Monahan and Kessel would click, and Keller/Tkachuk are already familiar with each other. I would also wager Keller could convince Tkachuk to re-sign in Calgary. Might have to trade Hanifin to make space, but if you can sign Hall you have a solid top 6 and a great 3rd line:

Hall - Lindholm - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Schmaltz - Keller
Dube - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - X

Maybe it's a lateral move, but I don't hate it. My thinking is mainly based on the idea of Keller convincing Tkachuk to re-sign in Calgary. And I truly do think that Lindholm has what it takes to be our 1C, better than Monahan did.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Yeahhh, I love Monahan but I have a hard time turning that offer down because IMO it's basically Monahan for Schmaltz and Keller.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Keller and Schmaltz have played RW before. I can't say it makes us a better team, in fact, it's a lateral move but I'd be willing to do it.

I may be in the minority, but I'd do it. Feel like Monahan and Kessel would click, and Keller/Tkachuk are already familiar with each other. I would also wager Keller could convince Tkachuk to re-sign in Calgary. Might have to trade Hanifin to make space, but if you can sign Hall you have a solid top 6 and a great 3rd line:

Lucic - Ryan - X

Maybe it's a lateral move, but I don't hate it. My thinking is mainly based on the idea of Keller convincing Tkachuk to re-sign in Calgary. And I truly do think that Lindholm has what it takes to be our 1C, better than Monahan did.
Christian Fischer would help a lot in that respect, like Keller. Three amigos. I’d be willing to include him, too.

EDIT: I should clarify; Fischer is good friends with Keller and Tkachuk and Matthews and that crew. Also, what’s the outlook on Dube? Is he ready for a change of scenery? Maybe a 3:3 trade?

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ill clarify something Datsyuk was a generational talent. Gaudreau's offensive talent is very similar to Datsyuk's. The difference is Datsyuk was also a multi time Selke winnger for his fantastic defensive game

agreed. But the way they look offensively is almost identical. In fact I would say Gaudreau is probably even a little more dynamic.

but yeah Datsyuk added Selke level defense too. Johnny’s D is underrated but he’s certainly no Selke winner.

Ledge And Dairy

Christian Fischer would help a lot in that respect, like Keller. Three amigos. I’d be willing to include him, too.

EDIT: I should clarify; Fischer is good friends with Keller and Tkachuk and Matthews and that crew. Also, what’s the outlook on Dube? Is he ready for a change of scenery? Maybe a 3:3 trade?
Dont get me wrong, I had no issue with value on the original offer but I just dont think moving our 1C is a great idea when we are getting mainly wingers back.

As for Dube, no hes far from a change of scenery. Its his first NHL season and he solo carried the Ryan Lucic line and made it relevant. He could very well find a top 6 spot soon. Only real change of scenery player is Jankowski

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bennett turning out to be a dud really hurt the Flames.
No point in keeping Gaudreau if you trade Lindholm and Monahan unless you can get Eichel or something.

thats not fair its not like they could have had...checks notes...nylander,ehlers,fiala,larkin,vrana

lol

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
We will lose to Winnipeg and miss the playoffs this year. Unless our first becomes Laf then we've got to hold on to Gaudreau and retool

hold onto a guy that is UFA in 2 years and is gonna ask 11-12mil?

maybe hold tkachuk and rebuild

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Lucic - Ryan - X

How in the world are we supposed to afford the extra 4 mil in salary AND Hall? Only to lose Hanifin and force young defencemen into positions above what they're comfortable doing? I don't see how that makes us a better team. The one part of this that looks good is throwing Hall in there which isn't dependent on these moves. The cap exists.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Dube looks very promising. Doubt the Flames include him in any trades.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
hold onto a guy that is UFA in 2 years and is gonna ask 11-12mil?

maybe hold tkachuk and rebuild
Yes exactly that. Gaudreau is worth that. What type of player do you hope to get out of a rebuild? Gaudreau. Once you get one, you pay whatever they want. It was the same with the Draisaitl, McDavid, Matthews, Marner, etc. You pay to keep your talent and under no circumstance do you let them walk.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

In what universe do teams trade 21 year old rookies because they need a change of scenery?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In what universe do teams trade 21 year old rookies because they need a change of scenery?
If they’ve run out of patience? :dunno:

I didn’t ask the question because I thought I knew the answer. I asked because I was sure I didn’t. :)

I haven’t followed Dube, at all. Young players that continually creep up to the line, but don’t quite push through are often traded for one another. It happens at least once, pretty much every season.

I imagine the Coyotes are fairly close to that point with Fischer, as an example. He’s extremely popular on the team, maybe the most well-liked guy, but despite the potential he showed for the USNTDP, in the OHL, in Tucson and as a rookie, his development seems to have stalled a bit. He’s 1 year older than Dube.

So I didn’t know if Dube had reached a point where a move for a similarly stalled, similarly young player with similar upside was appealing. It sounds like Flames fans are very happy with Dube and his development and don’t want to move him. That’s great. I remember thinking he seemed like a great kid during his draft year. I’m rooting for him. And because I love Don Maloney (and Rinaldo) I’m rooting for the Flames, too.

I’m honestly half tempted to just abandon the Coyotes and become a Flames fan. I like the front office, coaching staff, and the roster so much more than my own team. There are only a handful of guys in the Coyotes organization I actually like these days. It’s a tough time.

Reactions: DirtDiver

Bond

May 10, 2012

I’m honestly half tempted to just abandon the Coyotes and become a Flames fan. I like the front office, coaching staff, and the roster so much more than my own team. There are only a handful of guys in the Coyotes organization I actually like these days. It’s a tough time.

Man, the Flames are a dangerous team to be a fan of haha. The team is so close to being dominant and has shown they can be but for whatever reason, it feels like half the time they play, they just don't care.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Man, the Flames are a dangerous team to be a fan of haha. The team is so close to being dominant and has shown they can be but for whatever reason, it feels like half the time they play, they just don't care.

They definitely come out flat in the beginning of seasons and in most playoffs.

Don't think they've won a season opener since 2009.

Bond

May 10, 2012
They definitely come out flat in the beginning of seasons and in most playoffs.

Don't think they've won a season opener since 2009.
Yeah, there is some curse at the Saddledome. Iggy was bad for it as well.

Ledge And Dairy

If they’ve run out of patience? :dunno:

I didn’t ask the question because I thought I knew the answer. I asked because I was sure I didn’t. :)

I haven’t followed Dube, at all. Young players that continually creep up to the line, but don’t quite push through are often traded for one another. It happens at least once, pretty much every season.

I imagine the Coyotes are fairly close to that point with Fischer, as an example. He’s extremely popular on the team, maybe the most well-liked guy, but despite the potential he showed for the USNTDP, in the OHL, in Tucson and as a rookie, his development seems to have stalled a bit. He’s 1 year older than Dube.

So I didn’t know if Dube had reached a point where a move for a similarly stalled, similarly young player with similar upside was appealing. It sounds like Flames fans are very happy with Dube and his development and don’t want to move him. That’s great. I remember thinking he seemed like a great kid during his draft year. I’m rooting for him. And because I love Don Maloney (and Rinaldo) I’m rooting for the Flames, too.

#oneofus #goflamesgo

Anyways Dube is far from needing a change of scenery, when Austin Czarnik got injured early this season, Dube came up and did nothing but impress. As for Fischer I personally think a swap between him and Jankowski has some logic. Both are capable of being 30 point players again and are still RFA's this summer. Flames need right handed wingers and Czarnik is likely walking as a UFA. My knowledge on the Yotes is they lack center depth top to bottom. Hayton probably makes the team next year but you want him on the 3rd line. Richardson might come back but he mighr also retire. Jankowski could fill in that 3rh line center role and his defensive playstyle likely fits that of Arizona's.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Dube has been fine in his first full year in the NHL. He has speed and grit and really flourished with Looch on his line. Personally, I think the Flames should start grooming him at centre to avoid that LW log jam that has hurt Bennett so much.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
As an Oilers fan, I would like you guys to go all in on Eichel and sign Hall.

Not sure if you have the assets unless you get 1st overall.

Reactions: DirtDiver

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
As an Oilers fan, I would like you guys to go all in on Eichel and sign Hall.

Not sure if you have the assets unless you get 1st overall.

Something like Gaudreau, Monahan, 1st FOR Eichel, Ristolainen

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'll circle back to Monahan to Minneota, because we still need a damn center. If Calgary is interested in RD...

To Calgary
Matt Dumba
Alexander Khovanov

To Minnesota
Sean Monahan

Khovanov doesn't provide an immediate solution at center, but he'll be in the KHL this season and should be ready for NHL time the year after. A third-rounder that fell due to a hepatitis A infection in his draft year, he's been performing like a first-rounder ever since. Destroyed the Q last year, had a strong WJC for Russia, and has definite top-6 upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad