Value of: Retooling/rebuilding the Flames

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'll circle back to Monahan to Minneota, because we still need a damn center. If Calgary is interested in RD...

To Calgary
Matt Dumba
Alexander Khovanov

To Minnesota
Sean Monahan

Khovanov doesn't provide an immediate solution at center, but he'll be in the KHL this season and should be ready for NHL time the year after. A third-rounder that fell due to a hepatitis A infection in his draft year, he's been performing like a first-rounder ever since. Destroyed the Q last year, had a strong WJC for Russia, and has definite top-6 upside.

You and I have far different definitions of destroyed it seems. Good prospect but still deeply flawed skating and defensively. He may have formed a good pairing (he was the second best player on that line) but yeah, I'd have a tough time saying a 19 year old with less than 2 points per game destroyed a league. Unless you mean his teeth destroyed something....

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You and I have far different definitions of destroyed it seems. Good prospect but still deeply flawed skating and defensively. He may have formed a good pairing (he was the second best player on that line) but yeah, I'd have a tough time saying a 19 year old with less than 2 points per game destroyed a league. Unless you mean his teeth destroyed something....
Admittedly, I'm being a little colorful. And if 2 ppg is the threshold for "destruction" he was at at 1.94, so he wasn't far off.

Still, it's the Q and he was 19 so I get it. Either way, he's a good center prospect and would help address whatever organizational depth concerns Calgary might have with moving Monahan. And if it's not what they're looking for, then it's not what they're looking for.

Edit: plus this just reminded me - if Khovanov really was the second best player on that line, doesn't Calgary already have the best one? Might make it more interesting for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad