Prospect Info: Rest of the Hawks Draft: 2nd round and on.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If they decide to go with Turcotte at 3, I think Vladislav Kolyachonok would be a great consolation prize in the 2nd.
He's an interesting project pick. I think he's very raw right now, but if he's developed properly he could be scary. He's easily one of the fastest skaters in the draft.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
He's an interesting project pick. I think he's very raw right now, but if he's developed properly he could be scary. He's easily one of the fastest skaters in the draft.
He is definitely liked on the draft forum. Like you said, he is definitely raw and a project, but he’s got elite tools. He has the potential to end up being the best D in this draft.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Has anyone noticed how great d-man Justin Bergeron has played for Rouyn-Noranda in the QMJHL both in regular season and his outstanding playoffs production?

Seems to me he is ranked way way too low by Central Scouting as a potential late 3rd rounder...I would put his talent up into consideration for a 40s pick in round 2...and so if Hawks do not take Byram at #3 and decide to go back for another impact dman again with our2nd rounder maybe Bergeron is a candidate there?

Regular Season 65GP 16g 41a +56

Playoffs to date 16GP 8g 9a +23

6'1 183

Yes he was not taken in the 2018 draft but was only eligible for it by 1 day(Sep14,2000 birthdate)...but this is al.ost like an early birth (after Sept.15th first time eligible for the 2019 draft would have to be looked at...so I do not think the fact he could have been taken last draft should be held against him ...really ranked way way too low ...should go much earlier (early to mid 2nd based on his play this season and into playoffs).

Central Scouting only has him ranked down at #153 NA Skater..but this seems way off the mark considering his impact in production and great +/- posted this season and starring in playoffs .

But if Hawks go with afirward without 1st and again without 2nd ,if Bergeron lasts till our 4th rounder we should grab him there(unless Stan trades to replace our missing 3rd rounder).

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
In the Salary Cap Era how many goalies drafted after the 5th round have become legitimate goalies in the NHL? or #1 goalies?
Why does the actual number matter? Quite a few of the top goalies of this generation have been late picks/undrafted. (Rinne/Lundquvist/Bobrovsky/etc).

In complete agreement that you don’t take a goalie in the early rounds ever. I mean mayyyybe if it’s someone that fell that my scouts who know goalies were positive about but that’s a different story. Its cheaper/easier to get a starting caliber goaltender down the road than it is to get a top pairing/top line guy. Hell, Dallas got their starting goalie for a freaking fourth round pick a year or two ago. Because there’s only one net, it’s just the nature of the position... there’s always going to be a team with too many cooks in net.

Shoot for the fences and try to get your high value players early and take a project goalie you like in the later rounds.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Why does the actual number matter? Quite a few of the top goalies of this generation have been late picks/undrafted. (Rinne/Lundquvist/Bobrovsky/etc).

In complete agreement that you don’t take a goalie in the early rounds ever. I mean mayyyybe if it’s someone that fell that my scouts who know goalies were positive about but that’s a different story. Its cheaper/easier to get a starting caliber goaltender down the road than it is to get a top pairing/top line guy. Hell, Dallas got their starting goalie for a freaking fourth round pick a year or two ago. Because there’s only one net, it’s just the nature of the position... there’s always going to be a team with too many cooks in net.

Shoot for the fences and try to get your high value players early and take a project goalie you like in the later rounds.

I think you are spot on. Spencer Knight is a tempting prospect, but I don’t think he is a Vasilevskiy-level prospect. Now, Yaroslav Askarov might be another story next year. Anyways, I definitely agree with you that you find guys in the 3rd round and later. For example, we are seeing recently-drafted goaltenders like Ian Scott (2017, 110th, TOR) and Samuel Ersson (2018, 143rd, PHI) have great seasons and both are looking like steals. Further proving your point that you can find guys like these in the later rounds. However, I do agree with a lot of people that Bowman and his staff haven’t really had a strong track record when it comes to drafting goalies. I am encouraged by Alexis Gravel’s progress though. Nevertheless, they still should draft one this year, somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds would be a nice sweet spot. My top target would be Pytor Kochetkov. He seems to be the consensus #1 European goalie this year, but I have a feeling he’ll be available in the 3rd.

Reactions: Geoist

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kochetkov may not last till #43...but if he does we should have him as our#1 target for that pick..It is possible Hawks could trade up to an earlier 2nd or late foster because of the logjam already in d-men...I am thinking a trade of Forsling or it might also come from a cap strapped team and be the return we get for helping that team with the cap problem on a 1 yr remaining contracted player.

If we cannot get Kochetkov in either of those scenarios and he is thus off the board before #43 then consider for #43 Big Centers John Beecher and Aliaksei Protas (Prince Albert) or RW Alex Beaucage (Rouyn-Noranda) D-man Justin Bergeron (Rouyn-Noranda) .

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i have like Kochetkov since the tourney...... if the Bhawks do not draft him in the 2nd round, i would hope they would draft Brayden Tracey.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If he drops to late in the 1st, Tomasino is a guy Stan might want to trade up for. Right handed center with promising upside.
i am with you on this, but i have a feeling he will climb up the draft..... look into the mid-teen .

Reactions: Kevin Musto

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
i have like Kochetkov since the tourney...... if the Bhawks do not draft him in the 2nd round, i would hope they would draft Brayden Tracey.
This is how I’d like to see the draft shake out:

1, 3: Bowen Byram

2, 45: Ilya Nikolayev / Jamieson Rees / Brayden Tracy

Any of these guys would be awesome at 45.

Kochetkov could fall to the 3rd or 4th, but goaltenders can be unpredictable. Every team has their preference. So, in order to acquire him, I would like to see Bowman pick up another 2nd round pick by trading someone like Anisimov.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
After more viewing in Memorial Cup ,I no longer have Aliaksai Protas and Alex Beaucage as candidates for our 2nd round pick at #43..

tThey skate too slow for my liking

Still like Pyotr Kochetkin (G) IF he still is on the board.

As for Centers with size (even if we take Tircotte at #3) I of course have John Beecher as a possible target...but doubt he lasts that long ...However there is another Center with size and good skating and power who could last to that spot...Shane Pinto
...Bob McKenzie has him at #53 ..but I think he is going to generate a lot of interest earlier in round two ...6'2 and around 190 now.. O er a poi t a game in ISHL and had a great playoff.Rising.

As to wingers... Patrick Puistola ...Had 5 goals for Finland at u-18s...Greatcco.pete level and good skater.. Closes on loose pucks..Responsible player ...Like how he hunts the puck..Most rate him going in top half of 2nd round.So this target is spot on.

as To Dmen ...like Michael Vukojevich of Kitchener Rangers.. Very poised and goidcskater...Nice first pass..SEE him developing as a shutdown LD playing lots cf minutes.. Expect him to improve a lot this coming season back with Kitchener... Probably not goi g to put up lots of points ts but I think he can because solid nminutes muncher ...Rated more as a late 2nd to mid 3rd ...but I liked him a lit at the U18s for Canada. Could be another Hjalmarsson if he develiosxas I think he might.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I’d love to pick up an extra 2nd and grab a goalie prospect. Isaiah Saville and Colten Ellis are the goalie prospects I like in the 2nd. With our 2nd, I’d take a forward. Albin Grewe, John Beecher, Jamieson Rees, Brayden Tracey, and Samuel Poulin are some of the prospects I like that could be available then.

Something like this would be great:

#3- Bowen Byram
#43- John Beecher
Extra 2nd- Colten Ellis

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Look at this Jamieson Rees photo I found. You know what to do, Stan...
4vvJfwo.jpg

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Look at this Jamieson Rees photo I found. You know what to do, Stan...
4vvJfwo.jpg
Seen this young man play quite a few times, I think his skill level is higher than most people would give him credit for. Plays with a bit of a nasty streak as well although not his main calling card.

There are health concerns with Rees but I would take that chance in the second round, not the first. If it works out you could end up with two first round talent level players down the road (along with Byram).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad