Former Bruins Rest in Peace - Colby Cave 1994 - 2020

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
So truly sad. I've been a bit stuck in "anger" these past few weeks losing family and friends . . .this death is heartbreaking.
Heartfelt condolences to the Cave extended family.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Absolutely heartbreaking news - every time over the past couple of days when I saw this thread bumped, I had a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. So terrible for his family, friends, and teammates, past and present - my Twitter feed popped up with lots of Bruins who usually post fairly infrequently, sharing their own heartbreaks. Once they get through this difficult time, may they remember all the wonderful times they spent with him, and smile.

I remember reading that he was an excellent leader down in Providence. I'm sure he'll be missed in Edmonton.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
If you don't want to cry the rest of the day, don't read his wife's Instagram post.

They didn't even make it to their first wedding anniversary. :cry:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I told myself the care he'd receive in 2020 would get him through... simply terrible news. Rest in peace indeed.
Makes one wonder if this had happened a couple months ago before COVID-19 disrupted the healthcare system and if the curve was flatter that he'd have been able to get better treatment and overcome this.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
RIP Cave. Horrible news for anyone so young and heartfelt best wishes to his wife and family.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Makes one wonder if this had happened a couple months ago before COVID-19 disrupted the healthcare system and if the curve was flatter that he'd have been able to get better treatment and overcome this.
To be fair, we have no indication that he didn't receive the best possible care. We don't know either way. But when you're talking about a brain bleed, sometimes there's just nothing that can be done. Happened to the husband of one of my best friends a couple years ago. He didn't even survive as long afterward as Colby; he was gone in 24 hours.

Just a horrible situation. :(

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
RIP.

I was Cave's biggest fan on this board. I went to bat for him a couple times:
Prospect Info: - 2018 Final HF Bruins Top 25 Prospect List (for discussion)
Former Bruins - Colby Cave

I hope he got to see some of those because he had a few real fans on here.

Thing is, I really believe he had even more to give. In that stint in Boston last year he was really good but snake-bitten: He could have had 15 points in that run. Would have loved to had him for the Cup run against the Blues or for this year.

What an absolute tragedy. He really had a lot of tools going for him and great character. I'll always believe he could be a 30-40-point third-line centre but we'll never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad