Former Bruins Rest in Peace - Colby Cave 1994 - 2020

BruinsNetwork

Heartbreaking. Colby was truly an amazing person, player and teammate. By all accounts, he was also an incredible husband, relative and role model.

Colby was always smiling after each game in Providence and made sure to give the most sincere dialogue in passing and questioning. There were some nights in Providence when I was the only “reporter” around and even if I didn’t request him during availability, he always thanked me and shot over a quick “Hey, how’s it goin’ bud?” when leaving the locker room if he saw me.

Tough to comprehend as I’m only one year older than him, but my heart breaks even further for his lovely wife, friends, teammates and family. Rest in peace, Caver.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Lots of heartfelt and completely appropriate outpourings of sadness, respect, and loss here. And they are all 100% on target.

That said, I have to confess..... you hit my feelings right on the head. Sometimes when something really unfair and tragic happens in the midst of an already heavy and sad time I can only muster what you said.

Like us all, I'll keep my chin up and keep moving forward. But for this moment, the world has just lost a really good kid. Shit.

Reactions: SPB2776 and BMC

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Traffic is lined up for a few kilometers on the side of the road here holding signs and Cave jerseys etc here for his family.

nhf7ImS.jpg

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Reactions: BMC, CDJ and Mantis

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Emily Cave is living breath by breath as she waits to say goodbye to husband Colby | The Star

It hurt, she said, that COVID-19 protocols made it impossible for her to be at Colby’s bedside, even if she was grateful to the critical-care staff at Sunnybrook for passing on her messages of love.

“Colb always did this thing before we went to bed or if we were driving in the car — he would squeeze my hand three times to tell me that he loved me. Every night,” she said. “And I told that to the nurse ... And when I got there the morning he passed away, the nurse said I want you to know I was squeezing his hand three times so that he knew that you were with him.”

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Bless that nurse.

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for awhile
If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun
There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Sometimes when you're doing simple things
around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile
You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on
your blouse
Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you
Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream
These wheels keep turning but they're running out
of steam

Warren Zevon

Reactions: hrdpuk and MrMars

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Still can’t believe a seemingly perfectly healthy professional athlete can just die like this.

He basically got a headache randomly and died. He seemingly did everything right and by all accounts he was a standup guy. It’s just completely unfair that he was taken from those who loved him like this. Hurts to read. Good on David Backes. Still love that guy.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Still can’t believe a seemingly perfectly healthy professional athlete can just die like this.

He basically got a headache randomly and died. He seemingly did everything right and by all accounts he was a standup guy. It’s just completely unfair that he was taken from those who loved him like this. Hurts to read. Good on David Backes. Still love that guy.
It happened so fast, and right when all the virus craziness was starting up, she must have felt like it was all just a terrible nightmare. Only it was real. I just can't even imagine.

And yes, I will always be a David Backes fan. That she would ask him to speak at her husband's funeral says a lot.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It's just so sad. A young couple newly married with a wonderful future ahead of them and then....one of them is taken away without warning.

Hold your loved ones close because tomorrow is promised to none of us.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad