Relax, McDavid is better than Kucherov

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Rangers fan here, I think McDavid is still better, Kucherov is having the better season.

I think people who claim what team you are on doesnt matter are incorrect. Kucherov is playing on the best constructed team of the last 20 years. It does make a difference. On a team with anemic offense I dont think Kucherov, Point or Stamkos would have the totals they do. When you player with better talent, you do better.

In terms of offensive production linemates do matter. But rest of the team, not really (This is why say Kovalchuk, Heatley/Hossa, Savard were producing at elite level on terrible Atlanta teams while not seeing significant increases once the moved to other teams). If McDavid was exclusively paired with Draisaitl and RNH for whole season then it wouldn't matter much what the rest of the team is (in terms of points production).

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'm still willing to bet it would be much easier to pick up PP points if surrounded by Point,Stamkos and Hedman. Instead of Drai and a bunch of trash.

Hell the TBL 2nd PP has a better supporting cast.
Sure, that's certainly reasonable. That still won't dissuade me from believing Kucherov is more effective on the PP than McDavid. Kucherov has a better shot, while McDavid is better at zone entries.

Reactions: binop7

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Kucherov wouldn't scoring 70 pts this year on that terrible Oilers team.

Whoa. Alright. Olli Jokinen had 89 and 91 points seasons on the Florida Panthers, but somehow Kucherov wouldn't even hit 70 points on this years Edmonton Oilers, playing with say Leon Draisaitl? Yeah, that makes so much sense....

Kucherov had 65 points as a 21 year old playing on the Triplet Line with otherworldly beast slayers Johnson & Palat. But as a seasoned 25 year old on a line with Draisaitl and all the juicy ice time in the world he wouldn't hit 70 points?

You should be a sports analyst or something. Building threads on these types of hypotheticals.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I just feel that you cant dismiss what Kuch is doing because McDavids team sucks. You watch what Kucherov is doing and TB is so far ahead of everyone and he is on pace to destroy some recent point totals. We just cant dismiss this season he is having becuase McDavids team sucks. Its just not fair in my opinion.

I think we can give credit to both. No one should deny Kucherov is having by far the best season and should win the Hart.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Not even saying kuch is better, but I feel like when the talent gap at the top is so small, the top guy in the world is going to fluctuate. More often than not, it is mcdavid. But, other guys can go on streaks where they are better. It’s similar to how Crosby is “generational” yet has only been the clear cut best player in the world for a handful of years.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Kuch is on pace for 135.

If we adjust the difference in season scoring - this year versus last - McDavid’s 108 last year (his peak season) becomes 117.72 points.

And, for fun, if we adjust Kuch’s projected total this season to account for the difference in scoring between this season and 1981-1982 (Gretzky’s top season), Kuch’s projected 135 becomes 263. Let that sink in. He is on a torrid pace. There is zero room for argument. He is having a historically great season. We haven’t seen anything like it since Mario Lemieux in 1995.
What kind of bizarre math are you doing?

Kuch would be 177 points adjusting for 1981-82.

This guy thinks Kucherov is having a season 50 points better than the greatest season in NHL history.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kucherov needs to top Mcdavid multiple seasons in a row before I'm ready to crown him king. It's the same deal as with Mcdavid with Crosby. Mcdavid proved over a period of years that he is now better than Crosby. One monster season by Kuch doesn't make him the best when Mcdavid has won two scoring titles in a row which no player since Jagr has done.

Now if it happens next year again, then we can talk.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McDavid is no doubt better as an individual player. I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim that. McD on the Bolts would be an absolute monster. If you traded them for each other straight up, Kuch would still be a damn good player but imagine him with Drias as his Center and Chiasson or Reider has his other winger. No way he's putting up the same totals. McDavid on the other hand would have some combo of Palat, Johnson, Gourde, maybe even Stammer as his wingers. Or shit maybe McDavid shifts to Stammers wing. Either way he would light it the f*** up.

Reactions: generationalfan

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Not sure how Vasy affects Kucherov's point totals.

He plays into the whole system.

If you have an amazing goalie, you don't have to worry about being as sharp defensively. You also are probably not playing from behind most games like the Oilers are.

Vasy isn't feeding Kucherov one times but he certainly changes the way the entire team can play.

Imagine the Oilers didn't have to fully fall back every time the puck is in their zone because:
A) they have quality goaltending
B) a dcore that can move the puck

That would absolutely play into McDavids numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the opposing d gets a little tired from passing the puck around in the Oilers zone but they might get a little more tired if they were on the back foot for a while.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
McDavid is no doubt better as an individual player. I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim that. McD on the Bolts would be an absolute monster. If you traded them for each other straight up, Kuch would still be a damn good player but imagine him with Drias as his Center and Chiasson or Reider has his other winger. No way he's putting up the same totals. McDavid on the other hand would have some combo of Palat, Johnson, Gourde, maybe even Stammer as his wingers. Or **** maybe McDavid shifts to Stammers wing. Either way he would light it the **** up.
Well especially assists, the Oilers really only have Draisaitl and RNH that can consistently score goals, would be impossible to rack up those kind of assist numbers on a team that is near the bottom offensively and only has a couple of players that can consistently score. Not even Gretzky could do that on this years version of the Oilers.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well especially assists, the Oilers really only have Draisaitl and RNH that can consistently score goals, would be impossible to rack up those kind of assist numbers on a team that is near the bottom offensively and only has a couple of players that can consistently score. Not even Gretzky could do that on this years version of the Oilers.

Gretz could get a pylon 30 goals. But also a different time. 30 goals wasn't seen as being as good of a marker as it is today. McDavid on a team like Tampa would be a force of nature. Not just because of the forward core surrounding him but having that defensive core to get him the puck would be a massive edge over what he has now. Kucherov is a damn good player but I seriously doubt he'd had the same effect on the Oilers that McDavid does and that is really still not enough for them to be a good team.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I feel like Crosby is having a better year than McDavid. Atleast 5v5. I think Crosby is outscoring McDavid 5v5 and has missed two more games.

And has been a better 5v5 defensive player.
That's because Crosby is still a better player than McDavid.
If you have an amazing goalie, you don't have to worry about being as sharp defensively
Since when is McDavid worrying about defense? Watch the goals he was on the ice vs the Penguins.

Reactions: binop7

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
OP has a good point. Actually should be a pretty obvious point to most unless your a moron. Of course the team around him matters. How many points does Kuch get just loading up Stamkos' elite one timer? There's not a one timer even CLOSE to that on the Oilers. Then not to mention everything else that Tampa has that's better than the Oilers thats inflating Kucherovs numbers.

Oh the irony!

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He plays into the whole system.

If you have an amazing goalie, you don't have to worry about being as sharp defensively. You also are probably not playing from behind most games like the Oilers are.

Vasy isn't feeding Kucherov one times but he certainly changes the way the entire team can play.

Imagine the Oilers didn't have to fully fall back every time the puck is in their zone because:
A) they have quality goaltending
B) a dcore that can move the puck

That would absolutely play into McDavids numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the opposing d gets a little tired from passing the puck around in the Oilers zone but they might get a little more tired if they were on the back foot for a while.
When Vasy got injured, we just scored more goals to win those games. Domingue is 18-4 this season and just broke the franchise record for most consecutive wins.

But yeah, I get what you mean. When Vasy first came into this league, the team played like shit in front of him because they were used to Bishop controlling the game. Bishop was like a 3rd defenseman back there with his puckhandling.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
When Vasy got injured, we just scored more goals to win those games. Domingue is 18-4 this season and just broke the franchise record for most consecutive wins.

But yeah, I get what you mean. When Vasy first came into this league, the team played like **** in front of him because they were used to Bishop controlling the game. Bishop was like a 3rd defenseman back there with his puckhandling.

I feel like we are getting to strung up on the goalie aspect when my original point was goal tending and d-core.

I mean, if you are forced to play from behind in every game, the dynamic completely changes.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
So watch one game to completely change my opinion that having a bad goalie effects how many points a person can score?
Why did you only read one part of my reply to you? And a bad goalie have a minuscule effect on how many points you score. Just look at Patrick Kane. A goalie has almost zero relevance to how many points you score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad