Relax, McDavid is better than Kucherov

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
What world did I wake up into this morning? People are actually arguing the level of talent surrounding Kucherov has little to no effect on his production?

He's a top 5 player in the league who's having a career year on one of the most offensively stacked teams in recent memory, but he's not better than McDavid.
Keep telling yourself that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No. McDavid carries the Oilers

Kucherov has great support

McDavid is the best player in the world and he continues to prove it as he wins art Ross trophies on a weaker team

Kucherov is the better player, which is obvious this season. I have some statistics to support my words, and guys like you have speculations only.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Kucherov is the better player, which is obvious this season. I have some statistics to support my words, and guys like you have speculations only.

No, I just watch McDavid skate around everyone while playing on one if the worst teams

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Why dont we just throw Kucherov on a bad team and see how he does? Then we can figure this out for sure.... I'm sure the league will let us do it for experimental reasons.
Better yet, why not trade away Point and Gourde for nothing to save the owner some money, since you can apparently stick 4th line plugs with Kucherov and he will still produce the exact same.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why dont we just throw Kucherov on a bad team and see how he does? Then we can figure this out for sure.... I'm sure the league will let us do it for experimental reasons.

Kucherov was on a bad team just 2 years ago, and scored 8 more goals in 8 less games and had pretty close PPG to McDavid's. And Kucherov has improved his game substantially since that.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Ignores McDavid's TOI is 3 min more. I mean, 3 min, 15% more ice time, than Kucherov, and 16 points less.

So kucherov stays fresh while teams also focus on Tampa bays also good 2nd line

These arguments are weak and I not explaining the difference between playing for the best team in league vs one of the worst

I doubt kucherov has a season like this on Edmonton

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
When you watch Kucherov he is in control of the game. It would be one thing if he was getting feeds from his center and taking advantage of something like that but he is the mastermind behind the offensive juggernaut that is TB right now. He is the best player in the world right now.

Reactions: binop7

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Think this this debate has ended after that incredibly solid and totally non-speculative argument by the Op.

Reactions: binop7

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Give Oilers fans something. If they don't have McDavid is the best player in the world to hold on to, what do they have?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
high end players typically will score similar points no matter what the team around them is doing

I have trouble believing that. Elite players will put up points regardless, yes.

You don't think McDavid could have a lot more points on even an average roster?

I like Kucherov a lot and was a big fan of his even at the draft when few knew how good he would be.

That said... really? No.. McDavid is the better individual player. He is the best in the world talent wise. It took me until this season to admit it over Crosby even. McDavid's top defenseman is who again? His goalie?

The entire team relies on McDavid. Even Draisaitl and RNH to an extent.

Reactions: generationalfan

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
It's just not just bad linemates. It's terrible rest of the team as well.

When you have teammates that can help you attack in waves, it makes it easier for you. Once McDavid is off the ice, they're less than ordinary. That's why McDavid is leading all forwards in TOI with 22:56 mins a game. They have no choice but to drain him.

One should also not forget that McDavid missed a game, and has two in hand. He could have gone on a tear in that game, and might in the other two. Don't think it will be 16 points then. He skate fast :dunce:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So he should be a speed skater then, because you have to score goals and make assists in hockey...

What a silly rebuttle. McDavid has won the art ross back to back
Scored 41 goals last year and has scored at least 30 goals in his last 3 seasons

Not sure if serious

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Kuch is on pace for 135.

If we adjust the difference in season scoring - this year versus last - McDavid’s 108 last year (his peak season) becomes 117.72 points.

And, for fun, if we adjust Kuch’s projected total this season to account for the difference in scoring between this season and 1981-1982 (Gretzky’s top season), Kuch’s projected 135 becomes 263. Let that sink in. He is on a torrid pace. There is zero room for argument. He is having a historically great season. We haven’t seen anything like it since Mario Lemieux in 1995.
95-96, Goals per game per team was 3.14. Lemieux put up 70GP 69G 92A 161PTS.

Right now, goals per game per team is at 3.06. Kucherov is at 99PTS in 60 Games.

Adjust things all you want, Kucherov is not playing in a Universe anywhere close to where Lemieux and Gretzky were.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And Malkin didn't have a Crosby on a powerplay. Still put up 50 and 110 in 75 games.

I disagree though about McDavid not being good enough. He's got the same 5v5 production as Kucherov this season coming into tonite.

So it's clear that McDavid just has no help on the PP, while Kuch has much more. I mean that's just a fact.
Or maybe McDavid isn't as effective on the PP, because his speed isn't as much of a production factor? He can still pass, but his shot isn't that lethal.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I have trouble believing that. Elite players will put up points regardless, yes.

I like Kucherov a lot and was a big fan of his even at the draft when few knew how good he would be.

That said... really? No.. McDavid is the better individual player. He is the best in the world talent wise. It took me until this season to admit it over Crosby even. McDavid's top defenseman is who again? His goalie?

I just feel that you cant dismiss what Kuch is doing because McDavids team sucks. You watch what Kucherov is doing and TB is so far ahead of everyone and he is on pace to destroy some recent point totals. We just cant dismiss this season he is having becuase McDavids team sucks. Its just not fair in my opinion.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Or maybe McDavid isn't as effective on the PP, because his speed isn't as much of a production factor? He can still pass, but his shot isn't that lethal.

I'm still willing to bet it would be much easier to pick up PP points if surrounded by Point,Stamkos and Hedman. Instead of Drai and a bunch of trash.

Hell the TBL 2nd PP has a better supporting cast.

Reactions: generationalfan

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I feel like Crosby is having a better year than McDavid. Atleast 5v5. I think Crosby is outscoring McDavid 5v5 and has missed two more games.

And has been a better 5v5 defensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad