Relax, McDavid is better than Kucherov

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Kucherov is racking up points of a team that would still be one of the top 3 without him.

McDavid is playing for a terribly built team that would have a hard time beating a low end AHL team without him.

I see people claiming Kucherov is the best player in the world. Lol, really? He's scoring at an incredible pace but McDavid's toolbox is simply far superior. Kucherov wouldn't scoring 70 pts this year on that terrible Oilers team.
Lol@ low end AHL team, really?

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Kucherov is racking up points of a team that would still be one of the top 3 without him.

McDavid is playing for a terribly built team that would have a hard time beating a low end AHL team without him.

I see people claiming Kucherov is the best player in the world. Lol, really? He's scoring at an incredible pace but McDavid's toolbox is simply far superior. Kucherov wouldn't scoring 70 pts this year on that terrible Oilers team.

and...............................can you predict the next time McDavid will make the playoffs? will it even be with the oilers?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Hart is for MVP, not best player. Benn won the Art Ross and was a better defensive player than Ovechkin at that point.

1st AST is best player, for example McDavid got it last year despite missing the playoffs. So explain that? OV was better than Benn, that's the explanation.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
1st AST is best player, for example McDavid got it last year despite missing the playoffs. So explain that? OV was better than Benn, that's the explanation.

Benn had more points and was better defensively, not sure if you watched hockey back then but Benn > Ovechkin wasn't a controversial statement in 2014-15.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
MTxJfBu.gif

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Tell this to Crosby.
Crosby with bad linemates (aka Pens wingers) - 1.29 points per game
Crosby with good linemates (aka team Canada) - 1.27 points per game
weird its almost like they have to also play the best players and goalies other countries have......there isn't a real 3rd-4th line to play against in world tournaments.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Relax, we'll get our answer on who's better when McDavid leaves Edmonton to play for an actual team, maybe Tampa.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I still like the myth that McDavid has a weak shot shooting 17%......goalies must not get the memo.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Put Crosby or Kucherov in McDavid's position and watch them drown. Prime Gretzky couldn't make this work.

Actually, prime Gretzky did make it work with an AHL level team in the 1980-81 season (Gretzky’s sophmore season). He dragged and willed the Oilers into the playoffs while breaking the all time record in points (164 points)! Jari Kurri was second on the team in points with 75 points!!

So yes, a prime Gretzky could likely be dominant enough to get this year’s Oilers into the playoffs. He actually did this in his sophomore season.

Reactions: beukeboom

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Actually, prime Gretzky did make it work with an AHL level team in the 1980-81 season

76% of the teams made the playoff that year, it will be 51% this year.

the Oilers were 29W, 35L, 16T, playing for .463 when they made the playoff that year, #13 of 21 teams, it was significantly easier to make the playoff.

But yes prime 200 points Gretzky would be probably enough to push them in the playoff, they are not that far.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
While McDavid will very likely be the best player of this generation when all is said and done, Kucherov is pretty close, and I feel they will be trading Art Ross trophies for years to come.

This is starting to look like Crosby vs. Ovechkin 2.0. Exciting times ahead.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

eh i think kuch would finish with about 90-95 pts in a full season in mcdavids role. not as many as mcdavid will tho.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Kucherov spends each off season training and evolving his game - he's never the same player he was the year prior (very similar to Crosby). Hell, Kucherov changed how Tampa's practices go and clearly, you can see the results of it.

McDavid hasn't evolved whatsoever and it shows. I do believe that while not being the best in the world, he will almost certainly have better individual career compared to Kucherov. I think he'll be rather consistant / stagnant (90+ points each year) for the majority of his career whereas Kucherov will have a much higher peak but lower valleys when its all said and done.

If McDavid wanted better line mates, he shouldn't have signed for 12.5mil and left some room. Not Kucherov's fault that he took a discount to better his team.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Kucherov spends each off season training and evolving his game - he's never the same player he was the year prior (very similar to Crosby).
McDavid hasn't evolved whatsoever and it shows.

This is the same point I made in another thread and it really shows this year. McDavid doesn't look vastly better than last year. Crosby always was improving individual skills. Him drilling faceoffs incessantly during one off season comes to mind.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
This seems defensive and unnecessary.

I haven’t seen anyone claim Kucherov is a better player. Having a better season? Absolutely, there’s an argument, but not a better player.

Why can’t everyone just appreciate what both players are doing?
Exactly.

Kuch is having an incredible season. Recognize him and acknowledge that he's ripping the league apart rn.

No one is saying he is better than Mcdavid and he isn't. But don't discredit the incredible year he's having.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
ITT: people down playing tampa

Theyre on pace to be the 3rd team to ever win 60 games in an NHL season, if you think support casts doesn’t matter, then you clearly don’t know hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad