Relax, McDavid is better than Kucherov

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
McDavid had all the tools in the shed, but they are becoming rusty, old and outdated at this pace.
Put any other star player on the Oilers and they will also regress.
Maybe the only worse team for McDavid would have been the Senators.
So mad at you Edmonton for wasting McDavid!!!
How the hell can you even come up that the old, slow Lucic is his perfect linemate or hire more delusional coaches?!?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kucherov spends each off season training and evolving his game - he's never the same player he was the year prior (very similar to Crosby). Hell, Kucherov changed how Tampa's practices go and clearly, you can see the results of it.

McDavid hasn't evolved whatsoever and it shows. I do believe that while not being the best in the world, he will almost certainly have better individual career compared to Kucherov. I think he'll be rather consistant / stagnant (90+ points each year) for the majority of his career whereas Kucherov will have a much higher peak but lower valleys when its all said and done.

If McDavid wanted better line mates, he shouldn't have signed for 12.5mil and left some room. Not Kucherov's fault that he took a discount to better his team.
You know McDavid had to talk down his GM, right?

This take is so cold it just invoked climate change.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Kucherov is having a legendary season and is one of the very best players in the world today, but I'm pretty certain that if given the choice, 31 out of 31 NHL GMs would take McDavid over Kucherov on their team.

Reactions: generationalfan

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The scary part is McDavid hasn't had any real hot streaks.... yet. McDavid has been playing at 120 point pace basically for the whole season. It's like that's his base metabolic scoring rate or something. Kuch has had some ridiculous scorchers. He's scored 18 in his last 5 games. McD? 5 in his last 5.

It's unlikely at this point that McD catches him, but it's still possible.

If K slows down to 90 point pace the remaining games he'll finish with 122 on the season.

Like wise if McD picks up his pace to 130 he'll finish with 123.

I think it's very likely K slows down, but still finishes over 125 and Mcd falls just short of catching him.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The scary part is McDavid hasn't had any real hot streaks.... yet. McDavid has been playing at 120 point pace basically for the whole season. It's like that's his base metabolic scoring rate or something. Kuch has had some ridiculous scorchers. He's scored 18 in his last 5 games. McD? 5 in his last 5.

It's unlikely at this point that McD catches him, but it's still possible.

If K slows down to 90 point pace the remaining games he'll finish with 122 on the season.

Like wise if McD picks up his pace to 130 he'll finish with 123.

I think it's very likely K slows down, but still finishes over 125 and Mcd falls just short of catching him.
Is McDavid even playing...he isn't listed as one of the forwards playing on ESPN.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
This seems defensive and unnecessary.

I haven’t seen anyone claim Kucherov is a better player. Having a better season? Absolutely, there’s an argument, but not a better player.

Why can’t everyone just appreciate what both players are doing?
Is he having a better season.

Not to me.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Kucherov has 12 more PP points, than McDavid, and 16 more points overall, so he's better even at ES. And his TOI is 3 min/game less. I think, it's obvious who's a better player overall.
What is their respective points : team goals scored ratio?

Is it easier to score points on a team that averages 4gf per game rather than 2?

Don't answer either question - rhetorical.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Is it easier to score points on a team that averages 4gf per game rather than 2?

Two years ago Edmonton was a playoff team and Tampa wasn't and Kucherov scored 40 goals in 8 less games than McDavid. Why don't you recall that season? Don't answer the question - it's rhetorical...

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich

Do you think that the points that teammates on other lines score do affect a players point totals? Don't answer the question, it's rhetorical.

Kucherovs line is so good because of the players on it. There is no magically productive line.

Teams can go on win streaks while certain lines are cold and vice versa. Overall team production is not as important to a players individual production than people like to think.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Kucherov didn't get a single measly point against the Flyers despite Tampa scoring 5. Looks like the fairytale has ended and he is cooling right back down. McDavid can easily get 99 points on the season and catch him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Two years ago Edmonton was a playoff team and Tampa wasn't and Kucherov scored 40 goals in 8 less games than McDavid. Why don't you recall that season? Don't answer the question - it's rhetorical...
We all know that season was a fluke.

Also isn’t staying healthy important?

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I'm a fan of Kuch and McDavid, but let's not act like McDavid wouldn't be leading in the league in points if he played for TB and Kuch played for the Oilers.

The Oilers are terrible and TB is jacked with stars.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
"Best player" is a fluid concept.

Crosby was the undisputed best player for a generation and how many times was he actually the player of the year in a given year? Like, twice?

But it is disputed. I for one would rank AO comfortably ahead of Crosby all time.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm a fan of Kuch and McDavid, but let's not act like McDavid wouldn't be leading in the league in points if he played for TB and Kuch played for the Oilers.

The Oilers are terrible and TB is jacked with stars.

Who McDavid would have played with on Tampa? Stamkos and Point are centers, Drai and Cooch would have been on Oilers. One can only imagine, what McJesus' fans whine would have looked like: "Kucherov plays 23 min/game with Draisaitl, and McDavid has 3 min TOI less and plays with Miller and Palat. If it was other way around, McDavid would have had 16 ponts more, not less, than Kucherov".

Reactions: Mbraunm

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Actually, prime Gretzky did make it work with an AHL level team in the 1980-81 season (Gretzky’s sophmore season). He dragged and willed the Oilers into the playoffs while breaking the all time record in points (164 points)! Jari Kurri was second on the team in points with 75 points!!

So yes, a prime Gretzky could likely be dominant enough to get this year’s Oilers into the playoffs. He actually did this in his sophomore season.
Back when "generational" meant head and shoulders better than everyone. Now it meaningless.

Reactions: binop7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad