Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What's the point of getting out of bed in the morning?

Because life is worth living, even in adverse conditions. :dunno:

I get being frustrated, I do. I want to get out of quarantine, but man, you’re arguing with the only people in this thread who were on your side. (Who most certainly aren’t me.) Go listen to an album or something. :laugh:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Because life is worth living, even in adverse conditions. :dunno:

I get being frustrated, I do. I want to get out of quarantine, but man, you’re arguing with the only people in this thread who were on your side. (Who most certainly aren’t me.) Go listen to an album or something. :laugh:

I'm not frustrated. Again, this lifestyle isn't something out of the ordinary for me. I'm not a hermit but I certainly do not seek out social interaction. I've got Sumac Dub "Norska" on right now, am peak high from a nice bowl of herb and have not a care in the world.

I'm trying to have a conversation about philosophy. And trying, unsuccessfully but not surprising to make humans understand that putting the species on lock down, isolating them into a prison like state, for an extended period of time, over an invisible virus, is going to irreparably damage the psyche. And THAT is why our response, while certainly saving lives in the short term, will be disastrous, 10, 20, 100 years down the road. We're already seeing the paranoia set in. It will only get worse with time and will manifest further, long after this CV dies out.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Infectious Disease Experts Don’t Know How Bad The Coronavirus Is Going To Get, Either

Good 538 article that basically explains no one knows what the hell is going on. That kinda answers my question from earlier of "why only doom and gloom if we're figuring out treatments and vaccines?", it's because no one knows how bad it's going to be. The experts saying the worst are the ones who get mentioned.

"The consensus forecast generated by the individual responses indicates that we should expect roughly 19,000 reported cases by March 29, with an 80 percent chance of seeing between 10,500 and 81,500 cases."

"The expert consensus is to expect about 200,000 deaths in the U.S. from COVID-19 this year, but the uncertainty around that number is also huge: There’s an 80 percent chance the final number will be between 19,000 and 1.2 million, according to these estimates."

Yep the experts are basically guessing at this point.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm not frustrated. Again, this lifestyle isn't something out of the ordinary for me. I'm not a hermit but I certainly do not seek out social interaction. I've got Sumac Dub "Norska" on right now, am peak high from a nice bowl of herb and have not a care in the world.

I'm trying to have a conversation about philosophy. And trying, unsuccessfully but not surprising to make humans understand that putting the species on lock down, isolating them into a prison like state, for an extended period of time, over an invisible virus, is going to irreparably damage the psyche. And THAT is why our response, while certainly saving lives in the short term, will be disastrous, 10, 20, 100 years down the road. We're already seeing the paranoia set in. It will only get worse with time and will manifest further, long after this CV dies out.

aren't all virus invisible?
I know how news like to show a picture of the CV, but sadly, that isn't real. It's just CGI.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
So we are now allowed to get politcal????

Can you show me the exact quote on video where our President said it was a "hoax"? LIES.... Why can't you all keep politics out of it. All you do is spread hate... and you're shocked when you get hate back in response?
I have no quarrel with you, nor do I want one. We're all in this together. Nor am I politicizing the issue or advocating one side or another in this context. I'm merely responding to your request. Ironically, it happened in South Carolina. Go to 0:26.

DownByTheRiver

Apr 23, 2014
aren't all virus invisible?
I know how news like to show a picture of the CV, but sadly, that isn't real. It's just CGI.

Here's a picture of it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/....jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_1020/image.jpg

Here's an article "about it":

Report: Trump's Justice Department Wants To Suspend Habeas Corpus

Now, which one scares you more?

Edit: please don't delete this. This is not a political post per se, but it does affect every single person on this board that resides in America; every last one of you. Whatever person's name appears in the link means nothing to me.

Reactions: LOGiK

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Former strength trainer for the Mets (edit: Jeff Cavaliere, not me). After I impinged my shoulder doing upright rows and found a video of that guy explaining why you should never do upright rows because you'll eventually impinge your shoulder, I always check to see if he's done a video on a particular exercise before adding it. Often times he'll have done a video explaining the form or why some other variation of the exercise has better activation or is less likely to cause hernia or whatever.
Dear God I wish I had known this. I've had three right shoulder surgeries and now my left is ready. And I love upright rows. Some of my right shoulder issues were traceable to specific events like mountain bike crashes, but there is nothing that explains why my left is now messed up. Other than rows...

Reactions: billybudd

DownByTheRiver

Apr 23, 2014
Dear God I wish I had known this. I've had three right shoulder surgeries and now my left is ready. And I love upright rows. Some of my right shoulder issues were traceable to specific events like mountain bike crashes, but there is nothing that explains why my left is now messed up. Other than rows...

The Athlean X guy is awesome.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
First real break in the last 9-10 days. Been on the front lines for several businesses helping manage through this.

Any questions?

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
"The consensus forecast generated by the individual responses indicates that we should expect roughly 19,000 reported cases by March 29, with an 80 percent chance of seeing between 10,500 and 81,500 cases."

"The expert consensus is to expect about 200,000 deaths in the U.S. from COVID-19 this year, but the uncertainty around that number is also huge: There’s an 80 percent chance the final number will be between 19,000 and 1.2 million, according to these estimates."

Yep the experts are basically guessing at this point.
I don't think that conclusion is accurate. If you were to go to each expert's report you will find (in most cases) probabilities and conclusions with statistical qualifications. The wide variance in mortality figures is the inability for models to uniformly predict exactly the extent of containment our society deems to employ. Sadly, it has become germane in our society for some to cast doubt as to science when potential conclusions of studies vary. Complex models with millions of interdependent variables generally don't deliver simple, precise answers. Climate change is a perfect example. This dumbed down reactionary response is really unfortunate, and will not serve anyone's greater good.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably difficult to project something mathematically when the numbers currently are incomplete and we don't know how well or how poorly different jurisdictions will handle outbreaks.

Above poster said it better.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don't think that conclusion is accurate. If you were to go to each expert's report you will find (in most cases) probabilities and conclusions with statistical qualifications. The wide variance in mortality figures is the inability for models to uniformly predict exactly the extent of containment our society deems to employ. Sadly, it has become germane in our society for some to cast doubt as to science when potential conclusions of studies vary. Complex models with millions of interdependent variables generally don't deliver simple, precise answers. Climate change is a perfect example. This dumbed down reactionary response is really unfortunate, and will not serve anyone's greater good.
Real experts are aware of their limitations and what they don't know. Fake experts, like on this board, know everything.

Reactions: Ryder71

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Here's an article "about it":

Report: Trump's Justice Department Wants To Suspend Habeas Corpus

Now, which one scares you more?

Edit: please don't delete this. This is not a political post per se, but it does affect every single person on this board that resides in America; every last one of you. Whatever person's name appears in the link means nothing to me.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. All because of a flu like illness.

Of course this a distraction from something going on.

Conspiracy me can't stop thinking about what the real plan is. It sure as **** isn't to keep people safe. Outside of the traditional 'control' push and take away our rights agenda... there has to be something else going on.

I mean look how fast people are to hide in their houses and without a fight.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
how are you doing mentally?

I have some clients that are more frustrating than others. Some have entire upper management leadership structures (CEO, COO, SrVP, etc) and others are small time one or two managers. The smaller companies tend to be a bit easier. That said, it's more blue collar stuff so they tend to recognize the need for help easier and quicker and just flat out ask me what to do and I tell them. The larger companies with the senior leadership tends to get tougher because everyone wants their say...and truth be told, most shouldn't have a say.

Sometimes smart people in situations like these can be just as counterproductive as dumb people. Smart people sometimes don't want to admit there is something they don't know. So they read a news article and visit the CDC homepage and suddenly they are pandemic experts. They talk the talk but when it comes time for the moment of truth, they shit the bed and look to me. That gets frustrating.

Luckily, I have a procedure and logic map built that is pretty solid. Some minor variations exist that have to be in the moment decisions but for the most part, sticking to the script I built has been relatively effective. That helps when the "OMG!!!!!!" phone call comes in. We retrofitted our conference room to be a situation/response room. When we get a call, its a basic emergency response in the office and everyone knows their role. Yesterday went really well for the three major uh oh calls we got and everyone left for the weekend happy. I'm more focuses on my teams well-being than my own.

My previous job in my previous life stressed mental toughness and control of emotions...so managing stress and control emotions right now isn't all that tough ;)

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Just read through a few pages of this thread, wow some of you are in for a serious reality check within a month.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

This is one of at least 3 videos on this. There are some more exercises he doesn't like for similar reasons. One I can remember off-hand is the knee on bench single arm dumbbell row, which I used to love doing, but which apparently has an enormous risk of hernia. He wants both feet on the ground, straddling the bench if you're going to row dumbbells or to do the chest-supported incline bench variation. He usually gives 3 or 4 alternatives every time he says something's dangerous. It's a great channel that I wish I had discovered years ago, not six months ago.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

This is one of at least 3 videos on this. There are some more exercises he doesn't like for similar reasons. One I can remember off-hand is the knee on bench single arm dumbbell row, which I used to love doing, but which apparently has an enormous risk of hernia. He wants both feet on the ground, straddling the bench if you're going to row dumbbells or to do the chest-supported incline bench variation. He usually gives 3 or 4 alternatives every time he says something's dangerous. It's a great channel that I wish I had discovered years ago, not six months ago.

Well, f***, could have used this a few weeks ago, when a friend of mine convinced me to work the upright row into my routine. :laugh:

Reactions: billybudd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino