Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You'd almost think being rural vs a tight packed city would be beneficial?

Not if shit pops off. Look at small towns in Lombardy v.s. the big Italian metropolises, for example. Lots of the places hardest hit there were smaller cities and towns, because they don't have the resources to deal with the cases and the infection spreads more rapidly. The biggest cities in Slovakia are only around 200,000 people. It's going to be bad, I think. :(

Another problem with Slovakia also is that, as a largely agricultural area, a shelter in place order doesn't do much-- you still have to get out and tend to the farm. Plus, it's extremely geographically isolated in parts, which means if this gets into the mountains, we're in for a whole lot of hurt.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, according to SME, one of the most trusted daily newspapers in Slovakia, we're not quiet at 200 yet-- 178. But we're bracing for the storm, I suppose.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'd like to visit my mom who is high risk but both my wife and I work with the public and both our jobs are still going. Hard to practice social distancing when you and your spouse are coming into contact with hundreds of people every week. Some of which are openly coughing without covering their mouth, I saw an old guy pick his nose then immediately use our debit machine.

Otherwise self quarantine would be a breeze for us. I have a small chunk of property where I can't even see my neighbours. Plus, Spring is a very busy time for me so I wouldn't get bored. We have egg hens so we have a constant supply of food coming in, not to mention I hunt and fish, we grow a vegetable garden every year and have wild berries, fiddleheads and leeks on our property. Maple trees we've tapped for syrup, I cut my own firewood for our wood stove insert. I could Jeremiah Johnson the hell out of this situation. But I have to work.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
And the news begins to soften people up for the inevitable martial law:

"But the tragedy of Italy now stands as a warning to its European neighbors and the United States, where the virus is coming with equal velocity. If Italy’s experience shows anything, it is that measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population need to be taken early, put in place with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced.

Despite now having some of the toughest measures in the world, Italian authorities fumbled many of those steps early in the contagion — when it most mattered as they sought to preserve basic civil liberties as well as the economy.

Italy’s piecemeal attempts to cut it off — isolating towns first, then regions, then shutting down the country in an intentionally porous lockdown — always lagged behind the virus’s lethal trajectory.

“Now we are running after it,” said Sandra Zampa, the under secretary at the Ministry of Health, who said Italy did the best it could given the information it had. “We closed gradually, as Europe is doing. France, Spain, Germany, the U.S. are doing the same. Every day you close a bit, you give up on a bit of normal life. Because the virus does not allow normal life.
On Friday, Mr. Fontana complained that the 114 troops the government deployed were insignificant, and that at least 1,000 should be sent. On Saturday, he closed public offices, work sites and banned jogging. He said in an interview that the government needed to stop messing around and “apply rigid measures.”

“My idea is that if we had shut everything in the beginning, for two weeks, probably now we would be celebrating victory,” he said.”

Italy, Pandemic’s New Epicenter, Has Lessons for the World

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And they'll bitch and whine when it gets 'real' and they ass getting arrested tryna take their stupid 'gram photos.

Buncha social media warriors gonna 'rise up' against the oppression and shit. f*** off if this happens.

Y'all caused it.

..also, no idea why I am typing like this...

in Italy:
fiat-factory.jpg

that.mask.will.do.nothing

and they've banned running and bicycling now, thanks to geniuses like this
They didn't cause it, but they're certainly exacerbating the problem for sure. Which means the people adhering to the restrictions are gonna be cooped up for a longer period of time.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
They didn't cause it, but they're certainly exacerbating the problem for sure. Which means the people adhering to the restrictions are gonna be cooped up for a longer period of time.
Yes, indeed.

I meant to convey "helped cause the spread of the virus and the delay to normality as a result."

Reactions: Ryder71

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Under martial law do they execute toilet paper hoarders?

I recently read a martial law misspell that was marital law.

In which case, YOU will ALWAYS have to put a new roll of TP on the holder...because your spouse apparently thinks toilet paper grows on trees!*

*I mean it is from trees, but that still doesn't put it in the holder.....every, damn, time! That little sheet and a half that is glued onto the tube is not acceptable to leave as though everything will be fine!

Reactions: Shady Machine

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
When I say people in Vancouver are f***ing morons I mean they are f***ing morons, the locals.

View attachment 338271

This was today.
Hard to tell in that picture. Some might be closer than "regulation", but most seem to be socially distancing to some extent, while out in the open air and sunlight. The closer ones may be from the same household. A view from overhead might give a more accurate impression.

I would expect grocery stores to have as many people probably closer than that. Compare with Airports recently with people waiting to get checked after arriving back from overseas.

Not that that takes away anything from your message to be cautious.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
What's the point of getting out of bed in the morning?
Read a book. Teach yourself a new skill. Clean out closers, basement. Keeping busy is key. Otherwise it's a morass of complaining and self-pity. I haven't cleaned our house for as long as I remember. Well cleaning lady ain't coming so that's how I spent yesterday. Felt good.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think we should actually kill TP hoarders, for the record. But we should make them the objects of gentle public ridicule. Like your uncle who stockpiled canned food for Y2K, and then spent 6 months pretending it was because he liked the taste of army rations. :laugh:

Profiteers however, those could get got and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
That guy who bought 17,000 cases of hand sanitizer and then cried when Amazon and Ebay shut him down from selling it for $70 a bottle is exactly the people that need to have examples made out of them.

Or the lady I saw on some news site who bought an entire Dollar General, or Dollar Tree, can't remember which, out of paper products and left the store chanting "Trump, Trump, Trump" (not that the chant is what should be punished, just that it shows her mindset).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've never heard anyone speak gravy until I listened to WV governor Jim Justice's unhinged word stew re: COVID from last night.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

My gym now doing online once a week. Might not be much for you guys but at least it is something. Bookmarking for later.

We all are in a different part of our fitness journey so whether it's day 1 or day 2000.... just stay active. :) I support everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->