Reformatted OHL Draft Pick Database

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint traded London’s 4th pick back to London for a player yesterday, but the draft pick format shows that Flint only had Guelph’s pick to trade?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Flint traded London’s 4th pick back to London for a player yesterday, but the draft pick format shows that Flint only had Guelph’s pick to trade?

The pick may have been conditional in a previous deal in result the conditions may not have been met on the previous deal and the pick would've been sent back to the Firebirds. Having said that though whoever at the league office who is in charge of keeping track of the draft pick database has made errors before.

Last season a similar thing had happened in Owen Sound in where the Sarnia Sting had traded a selection of Owen Sound's that the Sting hadn't dealt for. Now long story short Owen Sound did get the pick back but it shows that the league really needs someone (or) a whole department of league office officials to be tasked with the job of properly tracking draft pick trades. Now I'm not saying that GM's don't know what picks they have in their draft cupboard cause they probably have a good idea what picks they do have, and even on here SFC and Coolwood have done a very good job of keeping track of what every team has through the draft pick database thread. But as fans are more in tune with what draft information and trades through social media accounts these days the league really needs to either allow fans the information via the league site or have someone at the league track and relay the information via the Media Notes section of the site. Yes they do a good job of tracking trades and suspensions but the fans of every team can't be the league's only source of trade and draft pick tracking forever. A lot of the league information is for the most part public knowledge anyways.

It's getting to that point in time where the OHL will eventually have to adapt some things similar to the NHL one of these days like contract remaining and more accurate trade/draft pick tracking.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I think by Friday the General's will have trade unsigned Aidan Castle to recoup some draft picks back that we gave up to acquire Tommisio from Niagara.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think by Friday the General's will have trade unsigned Aidan Castle to recoup some draft picks back that we gave up to acquire Tommisio from Niagara.

current trade window is for picks only, maybe a one time COVID allowance permits Gens to declare Castle a defect prior to draft to trade for picks or make Castle available for 2021 draft.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Again.....OS is trading something they will be able to see for a completely blind pick. Great move by Barrie. You can put as much "runway" you want on this move. It still is not smart.
Nothing ventured nothing gained. If DD feels like he has a good read on the players it could be a great move, with the pandemic situation there could be a lot of questionable picks made in this draft, and certain teams could end up with some really good players later. The pick moved was a conditional pick they had returned from the Nizhnikov trade, there will be lots of opportunity to replenish that if they feel it necessary.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Again.....OS is trading something they will be able to see for a completely blind pick. Great move by Barrie. You can put as much "runway" you want on this move. It still is not smart.
Why is this ever a debated thing.

Barrie had three 6th rounders and could afford to move out of that. Owen Sound doesn’t care right now about 2023 picks, especially 5th rounders because in 2023 they can easily trade their 4th round in 2024 to move back into the 5th...

it’s a way for GMs to quickly shuffle up/down draft boards. Covid or not it’s a difficult thing to draft in the OHL beyond round 1. Scouting isn’t going to be perfect and some teams prefer more kicks at the can in the middle rounds to find their depth players. In this season you could argue that there is going to be LOTS of late round “steals” and early round “busts” because of the pandemic impacting development. Even more of a reason to stress quantity of picks

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Ok well I apologize for it being last minute but I finished updating the database for now.

A couple issues I ran into inputting the trades from the last year:
- how did Flint get Niagara's 3rd in 2023 from Oshawa
- how did Oshawa get Erie's 5th in 2022
- how did London have their 4th this year when Guelph apparently had it

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NB keep the two *3rd picks that are listed ‘21 & ‘23 for London as Guskov did not play with NB

Reactions: belair

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint’s 2023 from Oshawa via Niagara is a 6th round pick, but I cannot find it on any of the site’s or transactions.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa got a haul for Nick Moldenhauer’s rights but based on a couple interviews that I heard, there are many conditions depending on if and when he would report.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad