Reformatted OHL Draft Pick Database

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I mentioned in another topic that I would have a go at revising Peter Kneulman's excellent OHL Draft Pick Database (available on his personal website here). Peter's list is extremely comprehensive, and I can only imagine how much time he's spent updating it over the years to ensure it remains current. Unfortunately, as another poster pointed out, his list isn't particularly viewer-friendly. With that in mind, I've reformatted his list as a Google document.

The full database is available here. It contains my best guess at to which team holds each pick in the next ten years of OHL drafts*, based on Peter's list, the OHL website, sfan's essential "Trades" topics on this forum, and a bit of my own Google sleuthing.

The document is never going to be 100% accurate. However, I'm pleased to announce that the database predicted 98.3% of all picks in the 2017 Priority Selection correctly. Way to go, everyone! Please keep in mind, however, that some of the pick assignments in the database are best-guess solutions, and contain some uncertainty. If anyone out there knows or suspects a pick assignment is incorrect, please let me know! I would appreciate if fans could review their teams' full lists to ensure their accuracy, as well.

The big stumbling point to a complete list is the issue of conditional picks. Though I attempted to determine which conditions came with which trades and whether or not they've been converted, there are a number of picks for which I was able to find little to no information. If anyone sees a conditional pick for which he or she knows the condition has or hasn't been met, please let me know and I'll make that change as well (a link with some information is helpful, but not necessary). In many cases, teams don't even release conditional information publicly, but I know many of the posters here are well-connected, so I'm counting on you to help make this list as complete as possible!

Of course, if you see any errors, please let me know and I'll try to correct them ASAP. The list is current to the 2017 OHL Priority Selection, and I'll continue updating it once the trade freeze is lifted June 1st as new trades are posted on the OHL website. I hope you all find the database useful!

----------------------------------

*Thanks to Warren Rychel's incessant dealing, the database now stretches to 2026.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth and cub

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I mentioned in another topic that I would have a go at revising Peter Kneulman's excellent OHL Draft Pick Database (available on his personal website here). Peter's list is extremely comprehensive, and I can only imagine how much time he's spent updating it over the years to ensure it remains current. Unfortunately, as another poster pointed out, his list isn't particularly viewer-friendly. With that in mind, I've reformatted his list as a Google document.

The full database is available here. It contains my best guess at to which team holds each pick in the next seven years of OHL drafts*, based on Peter's list, the OHL website, sfan's essential "Trades" topics on this forum, and a bit of my own Google sleuthing.

I'm not going to pretend this document is 100% accurate. If you select the Issues tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet, you can see a list of inconsistencies I found in Peter's original list and that I tried to rectify through research. There were a lot of issues I was able to resolve, either definitively or with a best-guess solution, but there are still a few picks I'm not sure of, in particular Erie's 2017 4th rounder (currently listed for both Sudbury and Erie) and Owen Sound's 2019 3rd rounder (listed for both London and Owen Sound). Otters, Wolves, Attack, and Knights fans (or anyone else), if you have any insight as to where those picks have ended up, please let me know! I would appreciate if fans could review their teams' full lists to ensure their accuracy, as well.

The big stumbling point to a complete list is the issue of conditional picks. I didn't even attempt to try and plumb out which conditions came with which trades and whether or not they've been converted. If anyone sees a conditional pick for which he or she knows the condition has or hasn't been met, please let me know and I'll make that change as well (a link with some information is helpful, but not necessary). In many cases, teams don't even release conditional information publicly, but I know many of the posters here are well-connected, so I'm counting on you to help make this list as complete as possible!

Of course, if you see any errors, please let me know and I'll try to correct them ASAP. The list is current to the Korostelev trade, and I'll try to update it as new trades are posted on the OHL site. I hope you all find the database useful--enjoy the trade deadline, and have a Happy New Year!

----------------------------------

*No team has traded a 2024 pick yet, though I'm sure Barrie can't wait to offload theirs.
Well done - nice easy read - hats off to you for this and if you keep updating this on a regular basis we will have to arrange a drink or two for you.
Lists like this make me cringe when I see what little options Windsor has to make a move - London on the other hand:help:

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Yes well done, it would be nothing for the OHL to have this data on their web site I do not have kind words for the OHL on this or other current / historical data.

One thing Kgn 2nd in 2018 was sent to Osh, as far as I can tell Osh never sent that pick to Ldn who intern sent it to Flint. Osh did send a 3rd rd which was addressed in the issues.

I keep harping on this as it is driving me nut, must be a pirate with a steering wheel betwix me legs.

Trade details as far as I can make them out.

Kingston traded to Oshawa twice,

Nov 3 2015 for Desrocher in that package was Kgn 2nd rnd 2018

Jan 1 2016 for Dal colle in that package Kingston 3rd rnd 2018

On Jan 6 2016 London traded Henderson to Oshawa for Graves and Kgn's 3rd rnd 2018

Then on Jun 22 2016 the Flint trade happened which is currently on the OHL site as

Flint Roslovic to

Ldn for Sar 7th rnd 2017,
conditional picks Miss 2nd rnd 2017 and Kgn 2nd rnd 2018

I think someone on the OHL site has made a mistake somewhere, I know, I know hard to believe but that is the only explanation.

What did Oshawa really trade to London? Was it Kingston's 3rd rnd or the 2nd rnd pick in 2018 in the Graves / Henderson deal.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Judging by the list of draft picks for all the teams it appears that London will be one of those teams postioned to make another run and will have lots to dangle in getting a high end player or two. On the other hand teams like Erie, Windsor, Mississauga, Hamilton, Owen Sound possibly will need to deal young players and maybe their first round pick from this year to get what London may get.

London has 3 or 4 high picks that belong to Sudbury. Maybe a package involving Capobianco with other grinders like Dunda, or 18 year old Pezzetta would return three 2nds a 3rd with Blacker and Formmenton. With the emergence of Carson and 2016 picks Baker, McConville and Hucthison most likely to be in the line up next season that could make 2014 1st round pick Pezzetta available to a team looking for that gritty, hard hitting player for the next two seasons. Playoffs are a different animal and Pezzetta can be that important piece for a team that has alot of scoring and needs some sandpaper who can chip in on the scoresheet and kill penalites aside from dropping the mitts. Any team who making a run that acquires Pezzetta would be able to recoup picks the following deadline year by dealing him as well. I think he could be a real wildcard player that nobody has thought about because he still is only 18 years old and has played on some terrible teams here in Sudbury the last two seasons. He could be a very big asset this deadline.

WJ

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Very well done.

I've been tracking Erie's picks for a few seasons now and this is what I have:

OE7t1Ws.jpg

Mayday3*

Well done, here's what I've kept track of for Oshawa:

2017: OSH 1st, KIT 3rd conditional, OSH 4th, OS 7th conditional, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2018: OSH 1st, KGN 2nd, MISS 2nd, OSH 6th, KIT 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2019: OSH 1st, KGN 2nd, KGN 3rd, OSH 4th, FLT 4th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2020: OSH 1st, OSH 3rd(Brassard COND), OSH 4th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2021: OSH 1st, KGN 2nd, OSH 3rd, OSH 4th, OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2022: OSH 1st, OSH 2nd, KGN 3rd, OSH 3rd, OSH 4th, OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for all the praise, guys. It took a fair bit of work, but it's obviously something fans want and, I think, deserve, too. I agree with MisterDB; it's crazy that the OHL doesn't have this information, among many, many other things, on its website. I did reach out to them to see if they could provide me their version of the data, but I haven't heard back yet. Will keep everyone posted.

Mayday: Your list looks good, and I tweaked mine appropriately. The only error I think you have is the Kit cond. 3rd 2017, which I'm guessing wasn't converted, as the Petes just traded that pick to Sarnia in the Korostelev trade per the OHL website. As you and MisterDB both have Oshawa still with KGN 2nd 2017, I'm inclined to assign it back to Oshawa. It seems quite possible that the OHL made a mistake, as MisterDB suggests.

EON: I've got a few inconsistencies with your list. I'm guessing that the Sudbury picks are from the Murphy trade, which became converted when he played for Sudbury? If so, I'll go ahead and make that switch. I just couldn't find any information online about the conditions on that trade. Mayday and I both have the OSH 4th 2017 still with Oshawa as well--do you know where that pick came from? I've also got Erie's 2018 14th-rounder with Missy (conditionally) per the Murdaca trade--do you know if that was converted? (I see he played for Erie last night.)

I really appreciate all the help, guys. This is far more than a one-person job.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
ScoresFromCentre you have a done a great job.

Trying to keep track of one team is hard, keeping track of the whole OHL is mind boggling.

Again it would be so easy for the OHL to publish this data plus all history re trades and suspensions etc on their web site, they have it.

Last edited:

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
I also want to thank ScoresFromCentre for teaching this old dog a new trick.

Google Sheets.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
It's mind-boggling that the WHL can list transactions going back eight years, but we're stuck with the past eight months. And this despite the fact that previous years' transactions were posted on the website. Why the OHL felt the need to delete that information, I have no idea.

Glad you've found the resource helpful, MisterDB, and that I could introduce you to the wonder that is Google Sheets! What a powerful tool.

Sting Fire

Aug 31, 2008
Hockeyland
In the unlikely event that Konecny returns to Sarnia next season rather than playing in the NHL, the 67’s would also receive second-round picks in 2021 and 2022.

Since Konency has not played for Sarnia this year they retain their own 2nd round picks for 2021 and 2022

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I added a tab on the spreadsheet with all of the information I could scrape up on conditional picks. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, that was only what trades those picks were involved in. There are also four picks for which I could find no information:

Flint's SBY 2nd 2017 [fixed - thanks, Savard18!]
London's WSR 3rd 2017 [fixed - thanks, Eamon5!]
Peterborough's LDN 3rd 2018 [fixed - thanks, Petes1!]
Sault Ste. Marie's SBY 4th 2018 [fixed - part of Charley Graaskamp trade]

If anyone has any information on those conditional picks or any others, I'd appreciate it!

Sting Fire, I think those two picks are still technically Ottawa's until the end of the season unless Sarnia releases the rights to Konecny, so I'm going to leave them in Ottawa's column for now, even though it's obvious Konecny won't be returning to junior. I've noted the conditions under the "Conditions" tab, and I appreciate the heads-up!

Last edited:

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
I added a tab on the spreadsheet with all of the information I could scrape up on conditional picks. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, that was only what trades those picks were involved in. There are also four picks for which I could find no information:

Flint's SBY 2nd 2017
London's WSR 3rd 2017
Peterborough's LDN 3rd 2018
Sault Ste. Marie's SBY 4th 2018

If anyone has any information on those conditional picks or any others, I'd appreciate it!

It was part of the Austin Watson trade. It was conditional on Watson playing an OA season.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
fyi you have Erie's 2nd round pick in 2018 with Sudbury and Owen Sound. Not sure who owns it but I believe we got that in the Baptiste deal.

WJ

Last edited:

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, WJ. Looks like I had Erie's 2nd rounders in 2018 and 2020 mixed up. The 2018 2nd did go to OS in the MacDermid deal, but Sudbury got Erie's 2020 2nd in the Baptiste trade. I made the fix in the database.

I also made a few other fixes this morning and revised the "Issues" tab to make it a bit more viewer-friendly in case anyone else wants to help out. Thanks again to all who've pitched in!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That Flint-Sudbury's 2nd came in last years McLeod trade. I THINK (not sure) that pick went to London for Kole Sherwood this year. I know it's not even close to being easy keeping track of this stuff. After the deadline, I'll post as much info as is released for Flint's transactions. Conditionals are sometimes difficult to get accurate info on. Now lots of stuff is starting to go down today....get it up to date slacker!

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Knights Draft Picks

London Knights

2017 2nd 3rd SBY 3rd WSR 3rd* 4th OTT 4th 5th OS 5th --- SBY 6th 7th WSR 7th 8th --- SBY 9th 10th HAM 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th
2018 --- OTT 2nd SBY 2nd 3rd SBY 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th OS 7th* 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th
2019 --- OS 2nd OSH 2nd* SBY 2nd 3rd OS 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th OTT 15th* HAM 15th*
2020 --- SBY 2nd OSH 2nd* 3rd 4th 5th 6th WSR 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th
2021 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th
2022 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th
2023 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007

Flint's SBY 2nd 2017
London's WSR 3rd 2017
Peterborough's LDN 3rd 2018 [fixed - thanks, Petes1!]
Sault Ste. Marie's SBY 4th 2018

Sting Fire, I think those two picks are still technically Ottawa's until the end of the season unless Sarnia releases the rights to Konecny, so I'm going to leave them in Ottawa's column for now, even though it's obvious Konecny won't be returning to junior. I've noted the conditions under the "Conditions" tab, and I appreciate the heads-up!

For the London Wsr 3rd 17 it came in the Carbonara deal. My understanding is that Barrie has the option of substituting it with a 2021 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad