Referees, power plays and ''let them play''

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I get where you're going with this, but do you really not see a difference between a) what I said and b) removing the rules?

A penalty is a penalty is a penalty. No matter how often someone says "let the boys work it out themselves", it will never make any sense, as not calling penalties is very much the opposite of letting the players work it out themselves.

Not calling penalties means players are allowed to cheat. Anyone who suggest to "let them play" is in favour of bad or lazy players getting away with things they shouldn't get away with (it's not what they may actually want, but it is definately what they are asking for), while talented players get punished for it and can't show their true skill anymore.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Only one problem,

The players don't want that, the coaches don't want that, the GM's don't want that, and the owners don't want that.

There is a REASON they don't want that....

If you are referring to that hockey 'culture' of letting things be decided on the ice and players 'policing' themselves by fighting, then yeah... I guess that's a reason... a very bad one, but sure, it explains why things evolve so slowly in hockey compared to most sports.

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
Ignoring the Crawford hack at Beleskey, this wasn't called holding:

They called holding here though:

If you don't see why confusion is raining down then you are clearly blind.

Jul 22, 2012

There's no confusion. The NHL wants a close series. That's it.

Bakpuck

May 11, 2015
You can blame the NBC announcers also. If they refuse to report it, then it must not have happened.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you are referring to that hockey 'culture' of letting things be decided on the ice and players 'policing' themselves by fighting, then yeah... I guess that's a reason... a very bad one, but sure, it explains why things evolve so slowly in hockey compared to most sports.

Not even the players policing themselves,

The players, coaches, officials, GM's, they all know the nuances of the game, much much much more than your biased fan on HF, they know that there is NO WAY that you can CALL everything, and keep the game the same.

They love the game as it is, are there things that can change, absolutely, who would have thought hybrid icing 20 years ago? Or No red line, etc, but the fundamental calling of the rules, while they have cracked down on certain things to speed the game up, it was never ever going to go anywhere NEAR the level of "calling it all" or a "penalty is a penalty is a penalty"

The simple fact is that not all hooking penalties are equal, nor or all inteference penalties equal etc, and if you took the literal wording of the rulebook and tried to apply it the entire game, you simply couldn't, no network is going to devote 6 hours to showing a game of hockey.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Posted by someone who doesn't understand the battles that go on in front of the net...

Next...

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
Posted by someone who doesn't understand the battles that go on in front of the net...

Next...

I only played competitive hockey for 15 years of my life. Definitely don't understand anything about the game. My eyes must deceive me that Vatanen and Silfverberg were in the box for the exact same things the Hawks were doing on the very same plays.

Now what I do understand is that Chicago was well on its way to be down 3-1 in the series going back to Anaheim and the NHL just can't have that.

hockey2080

May 24, 2015
Ignoring the Crawford hack at Beleskey

I'm not even sure why anyone even bring that up considering Crawford was mad when no penalty was called on Perry for interfering with Hjalmarsson who ended up hitting into Crawford right before this happens.

Regardless, comparing singular holding calls and calling it a conspiracy that they were called differently is not a good way to get any legitimate hockey talk.

xxgt465xx said:
Now what I do understand is that Chicago was well on its way to be down 3-1 in the series going back to Anaheim and the NHL just can't have that.

The amount of interference the Ducks are getting away with says otherwise.

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
I'm Enrico Ciccone and in my 13 years of professional hockey, it all evens out in 7 games and the best team usually wins (unless you're team chokes).

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
I'm not even sure why anyone even bring that up considering Crawford was mad when no penalty was called on Perry for interfering with Hjalmarsson who ended up hitting into Crawford right before this happens.

Regardless, comparing singular holding calls and calling it a conspiracy that they were called differently is not a good way to get any legitimate hockey talk.

Your one post on these boards is bad and you should feel bad. Why does it matter that Crawford was mad? His own player skated into the crease before Perry ever made contact and a standard puck battle ensued. Sometimes goalies have to fight through a little contact. Just like Shaw spearing Andersen in the groin to make him fall backward into the net and cause a goal. It happens. Now if Perry steamrolls Hjalmarsson from outside the blue paint and into Crawford, we have a different story.

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
You guys are acting like a bunch of ECHL players, refs don't decide the series, the best team does. If it is the Ducks, then they will win four. If it is the Hawks, then they will win four.

All that matters, the four wins.

hockey2080

May 24, 2015
Your one post on these boards is bad and you should feel bad. Why does it matter that Crawford was mad? His own player skated into the crease before Perry ever made contact and a standard puck battle ensued. Sometimes goalies have to fight through a little contact. Just like Shaw spearing Andersen in the groin to make him fall backward into the net and cause a goal. It happens. Now if Perry steamrolls Hjalmarsson from outside the blue paint and into Crawford, we have a different story.

No need to get your trollish attitude all in a tissy.

All I said was Perry interferes with Hjalmarsson which causes him to hit into his own goalie. I guess thats a hockey play now?
Where did I say it matters if he was mad? Should have penalized both teams but they let them play as they should have.

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
No need to get your trollish attitude all in a tissy.

All I said was Perry interferes with Hjalmarsson which causes him to hit into his own goalie. I guess thats a hockey play now?
Where did I say it matters if he was mad? Should have penalized both teams but they let them play as they should have.

Im not trolling. Im literally telling you that you haven't watched much hockey if you think that is a penalty. Players engage each other before reaching the puck ALL THE TIME. I literally mean like 98% of the time. It was no different other than the fact that perry was able to squeeze off Hjalmarsson because he took a really poor line to the puck and it happened to be through his own crease.

hockey2080

May 24, 2015
Im not trolling. Im literally telling you that you haven't watched much hockey if you think that is a penalty. Players engage each other before reaching the puck ALL THE TIME. I literally mean like 98% of the time. It was no different other than the fact that perry was able to squeeze off Hjalmarsson because he took a really poor line to the puck and it happened to be through his own crease.

You can't hit another player into the goalie. How does that happen "ALL THE TIME" without consequences? Why are you trolling so bad?

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
You can't hit another player into the goalie. How does that happen "ALL THE TIME" without consequences? Why are you trolling so bad?

Because Hjalmarsson put himself into his own crease. Perry is turning to get the puck that is coming from behind the net. Perry establishes body position with his right shoulder and Hjalmarsson bumps into Crawford. If you watch any team dump the puck into the corner and chase it down these plays happen all the time but there isn't a goalie present obviously. My guess is that the ref saw Hjalmarsson enter his own crease and Perry didn't really make a blatant move to hit him into the goalie other than putting his shoulder in front of him and turning toward the approaching puck.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The players, coaches, officials, GM's, they all know the nuances of the game, much much much more than your biased fan on HF, they know that there is NO WAY that you can CALL everything, and keep the game the same.

I'm always dumbfounded by the lack of general sports culture with most hockey fans.

Other physical sports did clean up their **** and are doing very fine. Take a look at rugby, for a start. Physical sport, very intense and emotional. And yet, they managed to clean up a lot of dirty stuff with hefty suspensions. Players adapted in no time.

But for some reason, hockey is an exception where neanderthal behaviour should be tolerated.

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA

Also, Hockey2080, this is where you said it mattered that he was mad.

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
I'm always dumbfounded by the lack of general sports culture with most hockey fans.

Other physical sports did clean up their **** and are doing very fine. Take a look at rugby, for a start. Physical sport, very intense and emotional. And yet, they managed to clean up a lot of dirty stuff with hefty suspensions. Players adapted in no time.

But for some reason, hockey is an exception where neanderthal behaviour should be tolerated.

The NFL is the same and did it for "more scoring," like the NHL wants more of too.

If the NHL wants scoring, then just needs to start calling more interference calls and more major boarding/charging calls. The later would probably help with this CTE issue as well...

hockey2080

May 24, 2015
xxgt465xx said:
Because Hjalmarsson put himself into his own crease. Perry is turning to get the puck that is coming from behind the net. Perry establishes body position with his right shoulder and Hjalmarsson bumps into Crawford. If you watch any team dump the puck into the corner and chase it down these plays happen all the time but there isn't a goalie present obviously. My guess is that the ref saw Hjalmarsson enter his own crease and Perry didn't really make a blatant move to hit him into the goalie other than putting his shoulder in front of him and turning toward the approaching puck.

It looked purposeful to me considering Perry has been trying to bump Crawford all series (its was what he does well). He knows what hes doing and trying not to be blatant about it. Hes still trying to cause two guys to be out of position (one being the goalie which can't be stressed enough) which is good enough to be called interference.

It doesn't look like Hjalmarsson put himself in the crease since Perry shifts weight to block his path to the puck and into the crease and Crawford. If Perry isn't there then that doesn't happen.

Also, Hockey2080, this is where you said it mattered that he was mad.

I said he did because he was mad because he got bumped again with no call.

Who cares though right? Slashing/cross checking worse than that happens in front of the net all the time.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
You guys are acting like a bunch of ECHL players, refs don't decide the series, the best team does. If it is the Ducks, then they will win four. If it is the Hawks, then they will win four.

But gift wrapped power plays help right?

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
It looked purposeful to me considering Perry has been trying to bump Crawford all series (its was what he does well). He knows what hes doing and trying not to be blatant about it. Hes still trying to cause two guys to be out of position (one being the goalie which can't be stressed enough) which is good enough to be called interference.

I said he did because he was mad because he got bumped again with no call.

Who cares thought right? Slashing/cross checking worse than that happens in front of the net all the time.

You can blow off what I am saying but Im just trying to tell you why it wasn't a penalty. In the first or second round Kesler hit a player into our own goal and then we got scored on about 10 seconds later as the player tied up Andersen's leg when he was exiting the goal. The ref said our player pushed him in so its a good goal. Hjalmarsson entered his own crease and with where the puck was going Perry established body position with his shoulder (Im confused about people saying Perry hip-checked Hjalmarsson into Crawford). If you put yourself into a weird spot and get pinched into your goalie on a legal play then its just bad luck.

Benvolio

Nov 14, 2013

:laugh: coming from the guy whose team is getting all the help from the refs.

Series should be 3-1 Ducks at this point.

IF the Ducks win the series it'll be because they beat Chicago AND the refs.

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
But gift wrapped power plays help right?

Yeah, so does interfering with players all playoffs, but that can't be called because "playoff hockey." Your team, like the Blues and others that play your style, do benefit from "playoff hockey" reffing, so quit complaining when a skill team gets a PP once in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad