Referees, power plays and ''let them play''

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't understand this obsession with calling things equally. If one team is playing more undisciplined than the other, why should the calls be balanced? lol

So much this. That's like people complaining that goals should be equal if the score is 5-0. You never see that. But when it's penalties, we need equality. :laugh:

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Call the rules how they are supposed to be called. If the penalties becomes lopsided, who cares? If you commit an infraction, you pay for it. Obstruction is singularly the biggest problem in the NHL right now. Not to say other factor's aren't at play, such as bigger goaltenders, superior coaching systems, etc. The fact is that clutch and grab largely suffocates offensive creativity. The amount of holding, interference, hooking etc, is absolutely insane. A scrum in front of the net? Oh we might score!! Oh wait, you can just tackle the guy to the ice so it doesn't matter. Just clog it up, since penalties are no longer correctly called.

This creates a compounding issue: once the player's and coaches know **** isn't getting called, they exploit it for competitive advantage (and rightfully so) so it just gets worse. Penalties need to be enforced correctly so then it eventually teaches the player's and coaches that **** isn't going to fly. I think some people misinterpret the correlation between penalties on and scoring. I don't care about more PP's to increase scoring, because if you start calling the game correctly, the game will naturally open up, thus not having to rely on increased PP's for scoring.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
**DING-DING-DING** WE HAVE A WINNER!

having watched hockey for 30+ years now, and having seen pretty much all possible scenario... calling it all in the playoffs doesn't work because it creates too much controversy and as the OP mentioned, boredom

The irony of complaining about too many penalties in a season with lowest number of penalties since they were recorded ...

May 23, 2012
Refs seemed to be on Chicago's back last night and still couldn't get them the win.

I do like when Refs let players decide the game, problem is that it doesn't happen all that often.

May 23, 2012
The players do decide. It's up to them if they want to take a penalty or not.

There are a LOT of things in any given game that could be called, if every penalty was called, each team would have 20 or more power plays. That means, the refs have to "pick and choose" which ones they want to call and when you are picking and choosing, you are deciding the game.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
From a TBL perspective the only two calls I disliked were the weak as hell roughing call on Paquette that put the Rangers up 1-0 that should have been matching or (much more reasonably) not called as anything and the Yandle pirouette dive. The dive was at least funny though. The Shaw dive was also terrible in the game last night. Otherwise I see no problem with penalties being called when they're committed even when they're on my own team. It's only the imaginary calls that I have an issue with.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The other day my friend and I were zapping between the QMJHL's game 7 and the Tampa-Rangers game. Switching from channel to channel it became apparent how faster the game was in the NHL compared to the junior league. But we prefered to watch the Q game. Why ? The referees let the players decide the outcome. There were big hits, trips, elbows, high sticks, and the refs barely called anything. Five penalties in total, and the game ended up in 2OT.

The Rangers-Tampa game? Every time we switched to that game, one team was on the power play, or a penalty was being called. There even was some 5-on-3s. I mean, what the hell? What a fricking bore. Looked like a football game where one team is on the offensive, then gives up the ball, and it's the other team's turn to attack. That's not hockey.

Yes, you can point out how ironic it is that all of the goals in the QMJHL final game were scored on the PP. I do not care. Fact is the even strenght play was much more exciting than anything I saw in the NHL lately. Even if there was no goals scored. Even if the play was slower.

Unless there is a blatant slash, a trip while a guy is going on a breakaway or a player purposely crashing hard into the goalie, STOP CALLING EVERY LITTLE THING. Oh, and be consistant in your calls, for god's sake!

Only call the OBVIOUS penalties, and let the players decide the outcome of the game via physical play, hard work, skating, and savy defensive schemes.

The rules really don't care about your excitement.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
The irony of complaining about too many penalties in a season with lowest number of penalties since they were recorded ...

Oh.. I'm not complaining, just in a complete agreement that less penalties and let them play is better

I love thus year's playoffs for penalties

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The reffing has been terrible lately. I'm not going to lie, it really looks like the NHL wants the Rangers and Blackhawks in the finals. The ref bias is unreal and this is coming from an Avalanche fan so I have no bias towards the final 4 teams.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Rules are rules and should be called from the first game of the season to the last.

Blame the players who broke the rules.

I agree with u but the problem in this series has been the lack of consistency from one game to the next by the refs. Every game is called alot different then the next. Thats not fair to anyone. I think the refs have done a good job beeing consistent during the game they have called, but when they call every game differently its hard to know whats a hold,trip,hook etc when they call it so different every game. But as i said they have been consistent about the way they goal during every game they just change it from one game to another....

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I'm fine with "letting them play" as long as they don't allow dangerous penalties go. In other words, a light hook, or hold can be let go, but a hard slash or bad hit should not be ignored. Subtle interference is okay by me as well, as much as I hate to admit. The Hawks have been great at that type of subtle pick and interference, and I'm okay with it. It's frustrating, but it's in the spirit of "let them play".

Yzlamic Preacher*

I'm fine with "letting them play" as long as they don't allow dangerous penalties go. In other words, a light hook, or hold can be let go, but a hard slash or bad hit should not be ignored. Subtle interference is okay by me as well, as much as I hate to admit. The Hawks have been great at that type of subtle pick and interference, and I'm okay with it. It's frustrating, but it's in the spirit of "let them play".

Why have a rulebook?

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
The other day my friend and I were zapping between the QMJHL's game 7 and the Tampa-Rangers game. Switching from channel to channel it became apparent how faster the game was in the NHL compared to the junior league. But we prefered to watch the Q game. Why ? The referees let the players decide the outcome. There were big hits, trips, elbows, high sticks, and the refs barely called anything. Five penalties in total, and the game ended up in 2OT.

The Rangers-Tampa game? Every time we switched to that game, one team was on the power play, or a penalty was being called. There even was some 5-on-3s. I mean, what the hell? What a fricking bore. Looked like a football game where one team is on the offensive, then gives up the ball, and it's the other team's turn to attack. That's not hockey.

Yes, you can point out how ironic it is that all of the goals in the QMJHL final game were scored on the PP. I do not care. Fact is the even strenght play was much more exciting than anything I saw in the NHL lately. Even if there was no goals scored. Even if the play was slower.

Unless there is a blatant slash, a trip while a guy is going on a breakaway or a player purposely crashing hard into the goalie, STOP CALLING EVERY LITTLE THING. Oh, and be consistant in your calls, for god's sake!

Only call the OBVIOUS penalties, and let the players decide the outcome of the game via physical play, hard work, skating, and savy defensive schemes.

So you made a thread to complain about the refs calling too many penalties during the season where we have seen a record low number of powerplay opportunities called. Furthermore you based your argument on your observations of snippets of one game rather than a broader perspective supported by factual evidence.

Coooool.

Let's just remove penalties from the game.

And I can't believe I have to say this again but I will: NOT CALLING A PENALTY RESULTS IN THE REFS "DECIDING THE GAME" JUST AS MUCH AS CALLING A PENALTY DOES.

Also, there are more penalties called in the junior leagues. Again why you should look at things broadly rather than just watching one game from each league and making inaccurate conclusions.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
What other sport calls rules differently in the regular season and the playoffs? I never understood the whole 'let them play' attitude with reffing in the playoffs. Its as if people don't realize that a ref NOT calling a penalty on a play that warrants one actually creates MORE external influence on the game than calling a penalty when it is deserved.

'Let them play' to me should mean let the players play how they want, and give them a penalty if they break the rule. It shouldn't be let the players break the rules without consequence, and then at some arbitrary point decide they can't break the rules and call a penalty.

Interesting point. There is about an 18 percent chance that a team will score on a given powerplay but a 0 percent chance that a team will be punished for illegal play if it is allowed to go uncalled.

When in doubt, whistle out.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If the overriding mentality is "to let them play" and that penalties and power plays are bad for the game, then the only correct course of action is to either totally remove the rule book or pare it way down to the one or two penalties that won't insult your sensibilities.

Otherwise, you're left with an inconsistent officiating mandate that often leaves the league vulnerable to questions of bias.

Not enforcing the rule book, in my opinion is not equitable to "letting the players decide."

If a player commits a penalty, he decided to commit that penalty.

If the PP scores, the players made that happen. If the PK performs well, that's on the players.

The refs are exerting the same amount of will and influence on the game with a strict enforcement of the rules as they are with no enforcement of the rules. In either case, an infraction occurred, the refs are just deciding which side it benefits.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

So, why don't you just watch what you like? Another problem solved, yea! :)

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
It's particularly funny because not calling penalties is more of "letting the refs decide" than "letting the players decide"

EXACTLY! By not calling penalties, the ref`s allow the less skilled players take control of the game.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's true though that NHL refs are really bad. They even go as far as admitting they're biased against certains players.

The fact that refs openly talk about the concept of 'managing the game' is incredible. You're not asked to manage the game, you're there to enforce the rules, period.

The NHL and the refs need to do a few things:

-Call the game objectively and call it the same way from day one of training camp all the way until overtime of game 7 of the SC finals. It's the only way of maintaining integrity and accountability. There's just no other way around it. I don't care if a team gets 5 PP and the other none. You can't ask the players to police themselves. It won't work in today's NHL. Sportsmanship is mostly dead in this league.

-Go hard after the cheapshots and dirty players. Fines, suspensions, fines to the coaching staff etc.

-Go equally hard after the divers.

That would clean up the game in no time and we'd have very entertaining and fast paced 5-on-5 play.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It's true though that NHL refs are really bad. They even go as far as admitting they're biased against certains players.

The fact that refs openly talk about the concept of 'managing the game' is incredible. You're not asked to manage the game, you're there to enforce the rules, period.

The NHL and the refs need to do a few things:

-Call the game objectively and call it the same way from day one of training camp all the way until overtime of game 7 of the SC finals. It's the only way of maintaining integrity and accountability. There's just no other way around it. I don't care if a team gets 5 PP and the other none. You can't ask the players to police themselves. It won't work in today's NHL. Sportsmanship is mostly dead in this league.

-Go hard after the cheapshots and dirty players. Fines, suspensions, fines to the coaching staff etc.

-Go equally hard after the divers.

That would clean up the game in no time and we'd have very entertaining and fast paced 5-on-5 play.

LOL man...I bolded the part that...where you are misunderstood, they are absolutely asked to MANAGE the game....

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Did anyone point out that there were only 8 powerplays last night, which is still a normal number and was also partly influenced by it being a blowout that turned sloppy. There were 4 powerplays, which even in this age of not calling anything is a perfectly normal number.

The game that had a lot of penalties was Game 3, which was a 6-5 overtime thriller, maybe the best game of the year. Man, gotta avoid that!

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Interesting point. There is about an 18 percent chance that a team will score on a given powerplay but a 0 percent chance that a team will be punished for illegal play if it is allowed to go uncalled.

When in doubt, whistle out.

If you want to look at it that way I think you should include, "There's also a 100% chance that a team will be punished for an illegal play 'against them' if it is allowed to go uncalled."

So it's more like a 50% chance if you assume you're the offending team half the time. (0+100)/2=50

Last edited:

LongsufferingRangerf

Apr 7, 2015
What other sport calls rules differently in the regular season and the playoffs? I never understood the whole 'let them play' attitude with reffing in the playoffs. Its as if people don't realize that a ref NOT calling a penalty on a play that warrants one actually creates MORE external influence on the game than calling a penalty when it is deserved.

'Let them play' to me should mean let the players play how they want, and give them a penalty if they break the rule. It shouldn't be let the players break the rules without consequence, and then at some arbitrary point decide they can't break the rules and call a penalty.

Happens in every sport...but not to the extent of the NHL. That doesn't excuse it and it's the reason hockey also has the busiest trade deadline, GM's know that they need a slightly different team in the PO's because of the way games are called.

http://fansided.com/2014/01/15/nfl-officials-calling-less-penalties-playoffs/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad