Referees, power plays and ''let them play''

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
Oh you can read minds now? You must be a ****ing wizard.

You're right again! I have given literally no ***** about any other team other than Anaheim! :sarcasm:

Yeah sure that's you. I'm not going to get all up in arms during a game about one missed call whether or not it's a team I care about or not but at the same time I would like to see some actual hockey being played and not watch the refs favor one team over the other. If they're going to call **** or not call **** it's fine by me. Just be consistent with both teams.

"Actual hockey?" Is that regular season style where they call interference more or is that playoffs style where they call it a lot less and "physical teams" benefit more?

Benvolio

Nov 14, 2013
"Actual hockey?" Is that regular season style where they call interference more or is that playoffs style where they call it a lot less and "physical teams" benefit more?

It's the style where they don't call a weak penalty 30 seconds after one team goes up on the other in order to help the losing team.

Not just talking about last night either. It's happened in every series this playoffs.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It's the style where they don't call a weak penalty 30 seconds after one team goes up on the other in order to help the losing team.

Not just talking about last night either. It's happened in every series this playoffs.

Just curious, who determines if it's a weak call?

Benvolio

Nov 14, 2013

Well to be objective I suppose you would have to go through the game, find all the non-calls and compare them to the calls and then set up some sort of system in which you can rank them from "weak" to "strong".

:sarcasm:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well to be objective I suppose you would have to go through the game, find all the non-calls and compare them to the calls and then set up some sort of system in which you can rank them from "weak" to "strong".

:sarcasm:

Let's say you did all that, just curious, what's your experience in determing weak or strong calls, have you officiated? How long? Highest level?

When you are ranking calls from strong to weak, do you take in perspective, game tone, intent, etc?

Do you take into account positioning and background noise, line of sight, etc?

Or do you just happen to rate strong ones that are called for the team you cheer for, and weak ones against?

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago

"Jet fuel does not melt steel beams," straight up conspiracy craziness. I'll need statistical verification before I buy into that.

BTW- "Physical teams" like yours have been getting away with interference every playoffs as well. It happens and teams have to get over it and learn to beat them.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It doesn't look like Hjalmarsson put himself in the crease since Perry shifts weight to block his path to the puck and into the crease and Crawford. If Perry isn't there then that doesn't happen.

This is confusing. You say Hjalmarsson didn't put himself in the crease, but then you describe a scenario where he's already in the crease and Perry is just blocking his exit. If all Perry had to do was "shift his weight" to push him into the goalie, you're describing Hjalmarsson putting himself in a bad spot and being unable to fix it. Not sure how that's a penalty

Last edited:

Benvolio

Nov 14, 2013
Let's say you did all that, just curious, what's your experience in determing weak or strong calls, have you officiated? How long? Highest level?

When you are ranking calls from strong to weak, do you take in perspective, game tone, intent, etc?

Or do you just happen to rate strong ones that are called for the team you cheer for, and weak ones against?

I think you missed the ":sarcasm:"

"Jet fuel does not melt steel beams," straight up conspiracy craziness. I'll need statistical verification before I buy into that.

BTW- "Physical teams" like yours have been getting away with interference every playoffs as well. It happens and teams have to get over it and learn to beat them.

The Federal government won't let us conduct tests on whether or not jet fuel can actually melt steal beams. It's just not something that we'll be able to do.

Right so the Chicago Blackhawks, God's Gift to Hockey, the Saints of Bettman have never gotten away with an interference call this series nor do they ever commit interference because they're not a "physical" team. Got it.

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA

This is why a challenge system needs to be implemented in the NHL. 100% in favor of this. And if they see on the review that a player dove then they should call the dive and reverse the originally called infraction.

hockey2080

May 24, 2015
This is confusing. You say Hjalmarsson didn't put himself in the crease, but then you describe a scenario where he's already in the crease and Perry is just blocking his exit. If all Perry had to do was "shift his weight" to push him into the goalie, you're describing Hjalmarsson putting himself in a bad spot and being unable to fix it. Not sure how that's a penalty

He wasn't in the crease. The puck is not that close and Perry hits him INTO the goalie. How is that not a penalty?

Perry didn't have position (hes in front of the crease) on the puck because its going behind the net, and then takes away any space for Hjalmarsson.

This could go for goalie interference as well. Two possible penalties IMO.

Last edited:

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
He wasn't in the crease. The puck is not that close and Perry hits him INTO the goalie. How is that not a penalty?

Perry didn't have position (hes in front of the crease) on the puck because its going behind the net, and then takes away any space for Hjalmarsson.

This could go for goalie interference as well. Two possible penalties IMO.

The more you post, the more your opinions are becoming invalid. You obviously don't understand what getting position on somebody is and you conveniently ignore that Hjalmarsson went into his own crease before Perry makes any contact. You can't be as far off base as you are and expect to tread water in any debate.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The other day my friend and I were zapping between the QMJHL's game 7 and the Tampa-Rangers game. Switching from channel to channel it became apparent how faster the game was in the NHL compared to the junior league. But we prefered to watch the Q game. Why ? The referees let the players decide the outcome. There were big hits, trips, elbows, high sticks, and the refs barely called anything. Five penalties in total, and the game ended up in 2OT.

The Rangers-Tampa game? Every time we switched to that game, one team was on the power play, or a penalty was being called. There even was some 5-on-3s. I mean, what the hell? What a fricking bore. Looked like a football game where one team is on the offensive, then gives up the ball, and it's the other team's turn to attack. That's not hockey.

Yes, you can point out how ironic it is that all of the goals in the QMJHL final game were scored on the PP. I do not care. Fact is the even strenght play was much more exciting than anything I saw in the NHL lately. Even if there was no goals scored. Even if the play was slower.

Unless there is a blatant slash, a trip while a guy is going on a breakaway or a player purposely crashing hard into the goalie, STOP CALLING EVERY LITTLE THING. Oh, and be consistant in your calls, for god's sake!

Only call the OBVIOUS penalties, and let the players decide the outcome of the game via physical play, hard work, skating, and savy defensive schemes.

NHL has always been fixed. It's so obvious when you notice Chicago getting 100% more power plays then the opposition every night. It's also hard to watch other Canadian teams, get fewer power plays then the other team, becomes predictable.

May 23, 2012

Usually if you don't "See anything" and a penalty appears on the board and a guy is heading to the box, up 1 goal with the other team down 2-1 in the series and that being the only penalty in the entire period for either team, that's what you call weak.

CoconutPete

May 8, 2014
Usually if you don't "See anything" and a penalty appears on the board and a guy is heading to the box, up 1 goal with the other team down 2-1 in the series and that being the only penalty in the entire period for either team, that's what you call weak.

Especially when the team, up in the series, just came back to go up that goal, and right away you turn and say to everyone "well I'm sure that something is going to be called to most likely even up the game", you either have to chalk it up to psychic ability or weak.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The "let them play" mindset is precisely what contributes to low scoring, arguably dull games. Players know they can get away with more and are constantly testing the limits as a result. It's less an issue during the playoffs because teams can strategizing against one team specifically, but in the regular season a lot of games turn into mud.

May 23, 2012
Especially when the team, up in the series, just came back to go up that goal, and right away you turn and say to everyone "well I'm sure that something is going to be called to most likely even up the game", you either have to chalk it up to psychic ability or weak.

No doubt. As soon as the penalty was called, i didnt even see it and still have no idea what it was for, i thought to myself "figures".

These guys could go periods and periods without calling one penalty but the moment the team down 2-1 in the series needs the tying goal, there you go.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The more you post, the more your opinions are becoming invalid. You obviously don't understand what getting position on somebody is and you conveniently ignore that Hjalmarsson went into his own crease before Perry makes any contact. You can't be as far off base as you are and expect to tread water in any debate.

Where did you line in the CHL again?

As far as that particular play, yes Hjalmarsson went into his own crease, but you are lying to yourself if you don't think Perry initiated the contact that sent Hjalmarsson into Crawford, which was the guy's entire point.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Ok, so you are the one that determines if it's weak......gotcha....

Just curious, is that your only standard? It's weak if a penalty is called against the team leading?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The "let them play" mindset is precisely what contributes to low scoring, arguably dull games. Players know they can get away with more and are constantly testing the limits as a result. It's less an issue during the playoffs because teams can strategizing against one team specifically, but in the regular season a lot of games turn into mud.

No disagreement there. You see such insanely inconsistent standards in the regular season that nobody knows what to expect half the time. But the playoffs are becoming the same, it seems.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I like the relative low bar set in the Rangers-Lightning series, it rewards the team spending most time in the offensive zone, as should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad