Referees, power plays and ''let them play''

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The other day my friend and I were zapping between the QMJHL's game 7 and the Tampa-Rangers game. Switching from channel to channel it became apparent how faster the game was in the NHL compared to the junior league. But we prefered to watch the Q game. Why ? The referees let the players decide the outcome. There were big hits, trips, elbows, high sticks, and the refs barely called anything. Five penalties in total, and the game ended up in 2OT.

The Rangers-Tampa game? Every time we switched to that game, one team was on the power play, or a penalty was being called. There even was some 5-on-3s. I mean, what the hell? What a fricking bore. Looked like a football game where one team is on the offensive, then gives up the ball, and it's the other team's turn to attack. That's not hockey.

Yes, you can point out how ironic it is that all of the goals in the QMJHL final game were scored on the PP. I do not care. Fact is the even strenght play was much more exciting than anything I saw in the NHL lately. Even if there was no goals scored. Even if the play was slower.

Unless there is a blatant slash, a trip while a guy is going on a breakaway or a player purposely crashing hard into the goalie, STOP CALLING EVERY LITTLE THING. Oh, and be consistant in your calls, for god's sake!

Only call the OBVIOUS penalties, and let the players decide the outcome of the game via physical play, hard work, skating, and savy defensive schemes.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The other day my friend and I were zapping between the QMJHL's game 7 and the Tampa-Rangers game. Switching from channel to channel it became apparent how faster the game was in the NHL compared to the junior league. But we prefered to watch the Q game. Why ? The referees let the players decide the outcome. There were big hits, trips, elbows, high sticks, and the refs barely called anything. Five penalties in total, and the game ended up in 2OT.

The Rangers-Tampa game? Every time we switched to that game, one team was on the power play, or a penalty was being called. There even was some 5-on-3s. I mean, what the hell? What a fricking bore. Looked like a football game where one team is on the offensive, then gives up the ball, and it's the other team's turn to attack. That's not hockey.

Yes, you can point out how ironic it is that all of the goals in the QMJHL final game were scored on the PP. I do not care. Fact is the even strenght play was much more exciting than anything I saw in the NHL lately. Even if there was no goals scored. Even if the play was slower.

Unless there is a blatant slash, a trip while a guy is going on a breakaway or a player purposely crashing hard into the goalie, STOP CALLING EVERY LITTLE THING. Oh, and be consistant in your calls, for god's sake!

Only call the OBVIOUS penalties, and let the players decide the outcome of the game via physical play, hard work, skating, and savy defensive schemes.

Such a crappy argument. "Letting the players decide" hurts the integrity of the game more than actually calling penalties.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Also - lol at complaining about a 5 on 3 being called when a Short handed goal was scored on said 5 on 3.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Such a crappy argument. "Letting the players decide" hurts the integrity of the game more than actually calling penalties.

It's particularly funny because not calling penalties is more of "letting the refs decide" than "letting the players decide"

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
HF is so bipolar at times

"Scoring is down! Call those damn interference penalties!"

"Oh my god, that looks like football! Stop calling penalties every few minutes!"

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not against calling power-plays.

What I am against his calling blatantly weak calls like Shaw's dive last night. I seriously think that BS needs more punishment. They need to give a serious review to things like those.

Diggy

Oct 16, 2007
Orange County
I really do not care if the Refs call the game tight or loose. I just want the Refs to call both teams equally.

Most games the Refs have done a great job of that this year, but the last 2 games of the Ducks/Blackhawks series I thought were Ref'd horribly.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am of the opinion as long as the calls are consistent (and not just throughout a game, but throughout a series or preferably the entire playoffs) then they can call them however they like.

If they want to let them 'go at it' and not call minor hooks/roughing type calls then that is fine with me. If they decided they want to call everything that is also fine.

For the love of god just keep it consistent though. I find that is the part NHL refs usually fail at.

TopTittie

Jul 26, 2006
If there refs actually enforce the rules, sure there will be more PPs right now. But the idea is that if they keep enforcing the rules for years, the players will learn what works and what doesn't, and they will stop committing infractions. The problems is that the refs change the rules every year.

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The refs aren't supposed to call evenly. They're supposed to call penalties. I wish the refs called as many penalties in the regular season as they're calling now. They let everything go.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The answer is easy:

When my team commits a penalty i want the refs to let them play - let the players decide the game.

When the other team commits a penalty, it must be called. The integrity of the game is at stake, after all.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The answer is easy:

When my team commits a penalty i want the refs to let them play - let the players decide the game.

When the other team commits a penalty, it must be called. The integrity of the game is at stake, after all.

I love these witty contributions to the discussion.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
You say to "let them play" and yet you are blind to the myriad of infractions that are already being ignored through these playoffs.

Case in point: http://streamable.com/rq1m

Oduya not getting a delay of game call after Etem missed a wide open net is indicative of how much is let go.

Last edited:

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
What other sport calls rules differently in the regular season and the playoffs? I never understood the whole 'let them play' attitude with reffing in the playoffs. Its as if people don't realize that a ref NOT calling a penalty on a play that warrants one actually creates MORE external influence on the game than calling a penalty when it is deserved.

'Let them play' to me should mean let the players play how they want, and give them a penalty if they break the rule. It shouldn't be let the players break the rules without consequence, and then at some arbitrary point decide they can't break the rules and call a penalty.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hate the "let them play" mentality.

The rules are the rules from camp through game 7 of the Cup.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't care if Ducks* have 5 more penalties than the opposing team per game, but the calls have to be consistent. Refs should make it clear early on what line they are going to take (in said game). Next game may well be different, but consistency has to be there for that game.

*Not really posting as a Ducks fan - just my general opinion of playoff hockey reffing.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't care if Ducks* have 5 more penalties than the opposing team per game, but the calls have to be consistent. Refs should make it clear early on what line they are going to take (in said game). Next game may well be different, but consistency has to be there.

*Not really posting as a Ducks fan - just my general opinion of playoff hockey reffing.

And I think that's largely what's been going on. OTs notwithstanding.

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
what a stupid post. why have referees at all? let the players decide it, eh? whoever gets away with more fouls gets to win. how about that?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

**DING-DING-DING** WE HAVE A WINNER!

having watched hockey for 30+ years now, and having seen pretty much all possible scenario... calling it all in the playoffs doesn't work because it creates too much controversy and as the OP mentioned, boredom

fastvoteman

Nov 30, 2006
The players are only hurting themselves by commiting fouls whether called or uncalled.

Possibly A) Fans get annoyed at the amount of power plays ruining the flow of the game.
Or B) Fans are outraged when they see blatant hooks and holds not being called, as well as blatant diving and embellishment going unpunished.

If fans fall into these categories, then they may get fed up and turn off the game and not bother with hockey anymore, hurting revenues thereby hurting the bottom line which means less money in the players pockets.

Ideally a game should have 6 or less minors called with NO missed calls.

A typical game could like this:

1 too many men
1 holding
1 hooking
1 delay of game

If a ref in the NFL sees pass interference, he doesn't hesitate and he makes the call. NHL refs should make every call they see and the players should know better not to commit fouls.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't understand this obsession with calling things equally. If one team is playing more undisciplined than the other, why should the calls be balanced? lol

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Keep watching the Q then, obviously there's better hockey there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->