Referees, power plays and ''let them play''

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Game management refereeing must go. This breeds many inconstant calls. You cannot just choose and pick which play to call a penalty and which play to let them play. If you call a penalty from day one, must be called the same play a penalty in the game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Just because an offensive player gets in a prime scoring area and blatant infraction by a hooking or a holding, or even an interference by the opponent and goes uncalled is technically helping a team from losing the game when they could lose the game by a shot that never happened, ending up winning a game. That is a game management at its finest and must go. The game management could breed a bias in the officials and would slant favors a team more than the others.

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
I prefer the "let them play" mentality.

Make the call if:
  • Dangerous play
  • Results in a turnover
  • Alters a scoring chance
  • Needed to keep control of the game

Otherwise, let the boys work it out themselves. Hockey is meant to be played 5 on 5.

Jul 22, 2012
The reffing has been terrible lately. I'm not going to lie, it really looks like the NHL wants the Rangers and Blackhawks in the finals. The ref bias is unreal and this is coming from an Avalanche fan so I have no bias towards the final 4 teams.

Because they do, and everybody knows it.

EDIT: Not suggesting they are acting on it. Just saying they obviously do want that final.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I prefer the "let them play" mentality.

Make the call if:
  • Dangerous play
  • Results in a turnover
  • Alters a scoring chance
  • Needed to keep control of the game

Otherwise, let the boys work it out themselves. Hockey is meant to be played 5 on 5.

Them remove the rules. Hockey isn't meant to be played 5-on-5, it's meant to be played within the rules agreed to by the people in charge. If they don't want the rules called that way, simply remove them. It'll be easier for everyone if we know what to expect going into it.

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
Them remove the rules. Hockey isn't meant to be played 5-on-5, it's meant to be played within the rules agreed to by the people in charge. If they don't want the rules called that way, simply remove them. It'll be easier for everyone if we know what to expect going into it.

I get where you're going with this, but do you really not see a difference between a) what I said and b) removing the rules?

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Hmm, what about extending the "let them play" mentality on those topics:
- Offsides: calling offside only if it's a blatant one. I mean it's really breaking the flow of the game and 0.5-1m offside isn't that big deal, right?
- Goaltender interference: call only blatant ones like tripping or sitting on a goalie. I mean goalies should fight through minor interferences too
- Hand passes, puck grabbing, kicking goals, high stick goals: only call them if they are really blatant or dangerous. There are too many situations where they were called and completely broken the momentum

May 23, 2012
After the Ducks took a 4-3 lead there was one "phantom" penalty which was the difference in the game. What a shame the game had to be decided by the refs.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
LOL man...I bolded the part that...where you are misunderstood, they are absolutely asked to MANAGE the game....

Of course, the orders come from above. It is still an utterly dumb idea.

Having the refs 'manage' the game is exactly why players are always trying to test the limits in order to gain an advantage. The actual system encourages cheap shots and borderline plays. Because the borders are not well defined and constantly moving.

Just call it like you see it, by the book and in a consistent way. Yes, there's gonna be 14 powerplays per game in the beginning, but that won't be for long.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Take off your tin foil hat. If you actually believe this I wouldn't watch the sport anymore. It's rigged. Fans that feel this way are just sour grapes when things don't go their way. Complete homers.

Did you notice his edit?

Of course the league wants a Chicago - NY Rangers final. Definitely gets the best ratings out of all possible combinations.
The league is a business after all.

That doesn't mean that they go to the refs and tell them that they should fix games. That means that they're hoping that the Hawks and the Rangers win.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
After the Ducks took a 4-3 lead there was one "phantom" penalty which was the difference in the game. What a shame the game had to be decided by the refs.

Are you referring to the holding penalty where the Duck player grabbed the Hawk players jersey from behind? It's a penalty, but in contrast to the stuff they let go throughout it didn't seem anywhere near as bad.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Are you referring to the holding penalty where the Duck player grabbed the Hawk players jersey from behind? It's a penalty, but it contrast to the stuff they let go throughout it didn't seem anywhere near as bad.

Exactly the problem. That doesn't get called if the Hawks aren't losing. The refs need to set a standard and stick to it for both teams. Not this BS reffing by the score.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'll admit that I'm rather salty with the way tonight's ANA-CHI game was called, but I can't find a reason to complain.

Though I'd agree that calls need to tighten up, especially on holding and slashing, it's absurd to expect human judges to be both consistent and highly accurate in this type of environment. Contrary to popular belief, there are limitations to what the human eye can see. I think it's all the more of an argument for rule changes and the institution of a review process.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I'll admit that I'm rather salty with the way tonight's ANA-CHI game was called, but I can't find a reason to complain.

Though I'd agree that calls need to tighten up, it's absurd to expect human judges to be both consistent and highly accurate in this type of environment. Contrary to popular belief, there are limitations to what the human eye can see.

They've been extremely consistent; in setting very different standards for what is and isn't a penalty on each team.

How often in a series this even does one team get double the PP time of the other?

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Are you referring to the holding penalty where the Duck player grabbed the Hawk players jersey from behind? It's a penalty, but in contrast to the stuff they let go throughout it didn't seem anywhere near as bad.

And that is the issue...it was a border line call but worse stuff wasn't called...

NHL reffing is hard to do, but man the inconsistency not only game to game but shift to shift is ridiculous

Church of Toews*

And that is the issue...it was a border line call but worse stuff wasn't called...

NHL reffing is hard to do, but man the inconsistency not only game to game but shift to shift is ridiculous

As long as theres a human aspect to it, it will never be perfect that said I'm pretty sure we complained about the refs for the last few seasons at this point.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

Agreed. They're not doing their jobs. By allowing penalties to slide by, invariably the game devolves further into a clutch and grab style where obstruction of all kinds is only called if it's embellished or leads to a scoring opportunity. It's interesting people think "just let them play", but then watch their teams scoring chances or forecheck get broken up before it even begins because of interference after the dump in.

Every team is doing what the refs allow them get away with. I'd like to see who the best team is without all the BS that's taking away from the hockey being played.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Man Duck fans are crying bloody murder... not sure what they're so upset about? The softest call all night was the Seabrook "slash"

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Of course, the orders come from above. It is still an utterly dumb idea.

Having the refs 'manage' the game is exactly why players are always trying to test the limits in order to gain an advantage. The actual system encourages cheap shots and borderline plays. Because the borders are not well defined and constantly moving.

Just call it like you see it, by the book and in a consistent way. Yes, there's gonna be 14 powerplays per game in the beginning, but that won't be for long.

Only one problem,

The players don't want that, the coaches don't want that, the GM's don't want that, and the owners don't want that.

There is a REASON they don't want that....

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Man Duck fans are crying bloody murder... not sure what they're so upset about? The softest call all night was the Seabrook "slash"

I've got no favourites in this and I agree that was a atrocious call...just as the weak hold that lead to,the tying goal...there was a Duck tripped after the game was ties 4-4...easy call to make....and no call

Just so,inconsistent and unfortunately it doesn't even out...one team gets screwed and you gotta take advantage of it on the PP...

Ugly to watch tho...

May 23, 2012

Because the "penalty" that was called in the 3rd period, the only one, cost the Ducks the game. I don't remember a call on the Chicago goalie for slashing a Duck player across the chest with his stick. If every "penalty" got called, just in the 3rd period alone, we would have had power plays galore.....so, they call ONE penalty, just at the moment the Hawks happen to need one?

To me, the players didn't decide that game. Its the 3rd period, if you are only going to call 1 penalty in the entire period, you may as well not call any.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Because the "penalty" that was called in the 3rd period, the only one, cost the Ducks the game. I don't remember a call on the Chicago goalie for slashing a Duck player across the chest with his stick. If every "penalty" got called, just in the 3rd period alone, we would have had power plays galore.....so, they call ONE penalty, just at the moment the Hawks happen to need one?

To me, the players didn't decide that game. Its the 3rd period, if you are only going to call 1 penalty in the entire period, you may as well not call any.

No the whole period would have been played 4v4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad