Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What's the status for our big slovak - Tvrdon? I know he's injured but when did it occur and is he far off?

Last November or something like that. Done for the season.

He had a blood clot in his arm, so a pretty serious injury. We will see they have made a lot of progress with that particular problem as far as medicine. Several NHL guys have had them, it sits them down for a season, but we should get an update over the summer.

Is Jensen able to go the Schultz route?

Yes if they keep him there for his senior season, they would basically allow a three month period where we could sign him over other people. I have a feeling if he does go back we won't get him, which is a shame given how he skates, but if they are circling DeKeyser they might just think the D pool is too jammed as is.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Are you sure Jensen could bail? I thought there was a loophole for Schultz because he was drafted out of the bchl

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Are you sure Jensen could bail? I thought there was a loophole for Schultz because he was drafted out of the bchl

That is the reason Schultz could leave after his Junior season and do it. I don't think he is any different than any other college senior in that he would have to wait for July 1st, but at that point he would be a free agent again. It is a gamble to send Jensen back for his senior season, if he has a great one and he could there will be a market for him and a pretty large one given his tools.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
That is the reason Schultz could leave after his Junior season and do it. I don't think he is any different than any other college senior in that he would have to wait for July 1st, but at that point he would be a free agent again. It is a gamble to send Jensen back for his senior season, if he has a great one and he could there will be a market for him and a pretty large one given his tools.

That's what struck me. Jensen is one of those prospects that has a few tools that make him stand out. His skating is NHL level right now, his defense could improve, and his decision making could be better, but in the end he's a prospect you sign.

I'd be disappointed if the Wings didn't offer him a contract this year. There are a few prospects that I'd get rid of over him.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Järnkrok's Brynäs lost game 2 7-3. He had no points, was a -1, 53% on faceoffs and 19:08 icetime. Doesn't seem like they have much of a chance to go further...

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Jensen was chosen as WCHA Defensive player of the Year and for the All-WCHA 1st team. Per @chrismpeters.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is defensive player = defenseman?
I had to check that and it looks like it's almost always a defenseman but has been a forward a couple of times. Link. For some reason all the other divisions(?) seem to have a separate award for best defensive forward.

Smith won it in 09-10, Schultz in 10-11 and 11-12.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I had to check that and it looks like it's almost always a defenseman but has been a forward a couple of times. Link. For some reason all the other divisions(?) seem to have a separate award for best defensive forward.

Nevertheless, not bad for a 5th round pick. Jensen is probably the biggest sleeper in our system.

For those who have watched both, could Jensen by any chance be seen as a bigger, right-handed version of Billins?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

That's a pretty darn good list of people to be associated with if your Nick Jensen. Mighty fine pedigree there.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Gotta agree here. I've only seen Jensen maybe 5 times, but Jensen has better size, he's a better skater, better shot and better defensively than Billins.

Sounds good. Billins is a very good skater(and player, period) in the AHL to say the least.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His best asset is his wheels, he's a great skater.

Jensen has also shown the ability to use his skating to deliver big hits. He is a big kid as far as build and ability to put more weight on but skates real well, possibly the best skater in the system period and yes I know we have Ferraro, Quine and AA (forward). I don't think his offense will translate in a huge way, but he makes a nice first crisp pass and skates the puck out of trouble. Really reminds me of a former alumni from his university Bret Hedican.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jensen was chosen as WCHA Defensive player of the Year and for the All-WCHA 1st team. Per @chrismpeters.

Awesome! I've been a big fan. Unfortunately he didn't put up a huge amount of points this year so he probably won't get much in the way of Hobey Baker votes but winning that award certainly bodes well for his pro career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad