Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What's funny in that video is that first you have the three 6'4-6'5 & 210-230 lbs defensemen give it a try and after them comes this 5'11/180 lbs kid who beats them all.

Marchenko and CSKA started their 2nd round series today, lost 3-0. Marchenko played 12:15 which is more than in any of the 1st round games. I saw a bit of the game and he looked solid, a very calm d-man.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
if Sammy can make it..... :sarcasm:;)

Half of Sammy's shots are stupid and weak, but generally on net. Although the guy never saw a shot he didn't like and then took. Tatar, Frk and Pulkkinen has a habit of punishing the glass a little too much. I hope it will get better and it should a little bit. Pulkkinen could use a little quicker release too in my opinion.

With Pulkkinen, Frk and Sproul coming along there is one thing though, the Wings will have some very big shots and lots of welts if you want to play pack it in D.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sproul 1+0, -2
Athanasiou 0+0, +/- 0

I hope and expect that the smaller rink and less time will force him to let it go quicker. Btw, in addition to shooting wide a lot his shot totals and therefore shot% are a bit inflated because he often tends to dump the puck at the goalie to get off.zone faceoffs at the end of a shift.

Here's the latest RedWings Central article, I don't think it was posted yet: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/03/06/3609/other-people-just-cant-do-what-jurco-can/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sproul 1+0, -2
Athanasiou 0+0, +/- 0

I hope and expect that the smaller rink and less time will force him to let it go quicker. Btw, in addition to shooting wide a lot his shot totals and therefore shot% are a bit inflated because he often tends to dump the puck at the goalie to get off.zone faceoffs at the end of a shift.

Here's the latest RedWings Central article, I don't think it was posted yet: http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/03/06/3609/other-people-just-cant-do-what-jurco-can/

Glad to hear about Jurco's work ethic that is a very good thing. He needs to shoot more and work a little on his skating and explosiveness this offseason in my opinion. He has the tools, I just think he needs to get that half a step and be taught to keep his feet moving at all times.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Calle is the fifth nominee for Guldpucken(which is kind of an MVP award for the league/national team). Z won it in 2002.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/guldpucken/calle-jarnkrok-naste-guldpuckskandidat/

A gifted player who can dictate the play like few other in the SEL. Is just as effective defensively and works hard away from the puck. Most spectacular is his hockey sense and playmaking. His 29 assists during the regular season puts him 6th in the league, while also being a good finisher. 21 year old Calle Jarnkrok has great potential, but you can already describe him as a complete player.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Half of Sammy's shots are stupid and weak, but generally on net. Although the guy never saw a shot he didn't like and then took. Tatar, Frk and Pulkkinen has a habit of punishing the glass a little too much. I hope it will get better and it should a little bit. Pulkkinen could use a little quicker release too in my opinion.

With Pulkkinen, Frk and Sproul coming along there is one thing though, the Wings will have some very big shots and lots of welts if you want to play pack it in D.

When did this happen? High-and-wide shots were Sammy's specialty during his first stint in Detroit.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Sproul 1+0, -2
Athanasiou 0+0, +/- 0

"A final note about former prospect Jan Mursak: He’ll qualify for Group 6 unrestricted free agency because he will not have reached 80 career NHL games."

I figured we were going to lose him on waivers, but was happy to see him get sent to GR for the playoff push. But he should get some NHL offers in the off-season.

irishtemper

Jun 9, 2008
"A final note about former prospect Jan Mursak: He’ll qualify for Group 6 unrestricted free agency because he will not have reached 80 career NHL games."

I figured we were going to lose him on waivers, but was happy to see him get sent to GR for the playoff push. But he should get some NHL offers in the off-season.

I'd like it if L.A. picked him up to play with the only other Slovenian in the league.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When did this happen? High-and-wide shots were Sammy's specialty during his first stint in Detroit.

I just made some statistics few weeks ago, that Sammy shoots less wide than Zetterberg or Datsyuk. That was a four-season average.

He shoots more in the logo, but even those logo-shots are better than no shots at all or missed, it usually creates a rebound.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
He shoots more in the logo, but even those logo-shots are better than no shots at all or missed, it usually creates a rebound.
Logo shots do not create rebounds. They are pretty much the easiest shot for a goalie to absorb.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I always called him wide-shot Sammy. His shots were either in the logo or wide of the net with frustrating consistency. He is still a shooter so I suppose we can't complain too much.

Anchor Town*

You have to think his shot will only get harder in a few years.

That's not the issue, the issue is that he takes waaaaaay too long to get it off and it's not very accurate. He hasn't really made any progress in that regard in the past couple of years which is disappointing

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
who do you expect to win?

other finalists: HV 71's goalie Gustaf Wesslau, Linköping's Carl Soderberg, Frölunda's Joel Lundqvist and Skellefteå's goalie Joacim Ericsson

Soderberg. 30 goal scorer in the SEL is rare, 2nd in points too. Best player on the national team this year. Yeah, that should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->