Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like London goalie Jake Patterson is going to be at the camp as well:

Jake Patterson @jakepatterson35
Excited to head to traverse city next week for the @DetroitRedWings camp! #PattersonPaterson

the loser of the battle should have to change their name :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like McCollum got a minor league deal after all. Good for him I guess.

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006
Looks like London goalie Jake Patterson is going to be at the camp as well:

Jake Patterson @jakepatterson35
Excited to head to traverse city next week for the @DetroitRedWings camp! #PattersonPaterson

I was kind of surprised he didn't get drafted this year, especially after London did so well. A lot of mock drafts I saw had him going in the middle rounds.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
It just wasn't a "red wing draft"... where are the Frk's, Jurco's, Tvrdon's, pulkkinens, Järnkrok etc from the 2013 draft?

Fine if they did this one draft where they went with hard-nosed big canadians, but is that just a 1-year thing or will they continue with this next draft?

Wings haven't drafted a Russian in past 10 years besides Marchenko! They have scouting staff and good connections over there, so why not? That's what 7th round is for.... Russians brought first Stanley Cup in long time to Detroit, why avoid them completely....

Its funny, as soon as Yzerman left to Tampa, he drafted Russians out the wazoo. I think it will pay dividends in the next couple of years.. Nill goes to Dallas, 1st guy he signs? - Gonchar. First guy he drafts? - Nichushkin....
So if I put on my detective cap it appears that Kenny has become disgruntled against the Russians and I don't like it one bit.
When you draft all from CHL you are getting face value or lower since its easy for all of the teams go there. Its like a stable stock with limited upside -mediocrity. When you draft from Europe, in some of the dark places of the hockey world, is where you find your great rewards. In fact more than half of teams don't even have scouts in Russia, so wings already have the advantage. Now its just time for them to do there homework. Like Yzerman says : "There value exceeds that implied by their draft position."

RedWingsNow*

Wings haven't drafted a Russian in past 10 years besides Marchenko! They have scouting staff and good connections over there, so why not? That's what 7th round is for.... Russians brought first Stanley Cup in long time to Detroit, why avoid them completely....

Its funny, as soon as Yzerman left to Tampa, he drafted Russians out the wazoo. I think it will pay dividends in the next couple of years.. Nill goes to Dallas, 1st guy he signs? - Gonchar. First guy he drafts? - Nichushkin....
So if I put on my detective cap it appears that Kenny has become disgruntled against the Russians and I don't like it one bit.
When you draft all from CHL you are getting face value or lower since its easy for all of the teams go there. Its like a stable stock with limited upside -mediocrity. When you draft from Europe, in some of the dark places of the hockey world, is where you find your great rewards. In fact more than half of teams don't even have scouts in Russia, so wings already have the advantage. Now its just time for them to do there homework. Like Yzerman says : "There value exceeds that implied by their draft position."

Been not very happy about this for years.
I know the KHL factor increased Datsyuk's pay more than Holland wanted early in Datsyuk's career-- but it's pretty silly anyway.

I know Grigorenko went back to Europe instead of playing in the AHL -- but so did Axelsson and Ryno

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Hmm I don't know if you misquoted someone? Either way I don't understand why you quoted me and then write a reply like that? :D Makes no sense... Because that's what I've been saying too.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Hmm I don't know if you misquoted someone? Either way I don't understand why you quoted me and then write a reply like that? :D Makes no sense... Because that's what I've been saying too.

hehe, maybe he was quoting you to agree with you? That was the impression I got.

Shoulda started it with "This! X a Million!!!!1"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Just took a look at a lot of these kids that weren't drafted and are invites, and almost all of them fight and bring some grit in some capacity.

Thought this kid was interesting. Fights and had 32 goals in 66 games this year.

Lethbridge winger Jaimen Yakubowski is a rarity: a shorter forward who plays only in traffic and down the middle. While he might be short (at 5-9), Yakubowski is built like a tank at a thick, solid 202 pounds. He's also fast, a punishing bodychecker, and loves to shoot (25 goals).

The second year draft-eligible has been on fire the last two months and is on pace for 35 goals. But he's far more than just a shooter. Being a major irritant is the only way Yakubowski knows how to play, and he's always a willing combatant ready to drop the gloves with anyone, at any time. He came up through the toughest Midget AAA program in North America — the Beardy's Blackhawks.

Yakubowski was a first-year player with Lethbridge last season and struggled to get a regular shift, though he still managed 16 goals. Hurricanes coach Rich Preston adheres to the old school "you have to pay your dues" principle, and prefers to play the hell out of 19- and 20 year olds. But Yakubowski came to camp this year having added an extra 20 pounds of solid muscle, and now he just blows men up with heavy open ice hits and dominates in traffic.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Just took a look at a lot of these kids that weren't drafted and are invites, and almost all of them fight and bring some grit in some capacity.

Thought this kid was interesting. Fights and had 32 goals in 66 games this year.

Yakubowski sounds like Callahan when he broke out with Kelowna.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ildar telyakov 22 yrs 6'9" and 216

Their bringing a lot of size on D.

The Wings have clearly bought into the big D-man angle recently, they see that as the future. Eats up more space, gets in shooting lanes, have great reach, and just on sheer size are generally more physical. I like that they still pick good skaters with size, but it is interesting to see what they are selecting there. A real emphasis on the future is massive rear-guards.

They want more size up front, but don't seem as married to it as defensively in my opinion.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I can't remember when they've had so many actual try-outs (besides the Chelios & Babcock kids etc.). Too bad they don't have many roster spots free for FA signings.

Another interesting point is that they invited G Toni Eskelinen who was a 2013 eligible (-95) Euro, but I believe you can't sign them the same way you can with North Americans, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad