Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Do you guys think that the fact Sweden and Finland are bringing young but very talented forwards, and Sweden's success last year doing so, made Canada soften a bit towards bringing both Mac and Drouin? Meet talent with talent.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah well Chad had that up before he even tweeted that.
I guess Mark Edwards knows the OHL guys and Sproul quite well (personally?) and got the info first. I have no inside info whatsoever :)

I'm not really dissapointed in Sproul being cut since didn't expect him to make it. But it will be cool to see Ouellet first in Finland for an exhibition game and then in Ufa. For once the games aren't on in the middle of the night over here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do you guys think that the fact Sweden and Finland are bringing young but very talented forwards, and Sweden's success last year doing so, made Canada soften a bit towards bringing both Mac and Drouin? Meet talent with talent.

I think both guys are pretty special players, but more than that I think it actually points to Canada's options this year. I just don't think they had the normal amount of talent to keep the younger guys down. Think about it without the lockout they would have been almost locks coming in. Plus they didn't bring as typical a big and mean team, seems they think the big ice will allow for some younger guys. Also, some of the older guys have discipline problems and that likely cost a couple of them.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
^ Totally agree with the rise of Ferraro. Disagree with Mrazek so high(way too early to put a goalie up there), and the D's are too low in general compared to how I have guys ranked.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
^ Totally agree with the rise of Ferraro. Disagree with Mrazek so high(way too early to put a goalie up there), and the D's are too low in general compared to how I have guys ranked.

There is a lot of shift in the system in my opinion even over the last couple of months since we did the off-season prospect poll. Could be interesting to do another after the WJC's in the new year as a midpoint for the year. I think both Sproul and Ouellet have moved up my board quite a bit.

Also Jensen dropping doesn't make a ton of sense to me. He is having another good year and he wanted to turn pro after last year, so I just don't see him playing his senior year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/12/13/3027/jarnkrok-takes-over-no-1-spot-in-ranking/

“He’s probably the best prospect in our organization overall,†said Red Wings director of player development Jiri Fischer. “Whenever he makes the transition overseas, he’s going to be really exciting to watch at the NHL level.â€

It further solidifies that Jarnkrok will play immediately in the big leagues once he skips over to North America. Is he two years away (14-15 season) or maybe even next year?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
http://www.redwingscentral.com/2012/12/13/3027/jarnkrok-takes-over-no-1-spot-in-ranking/

“He’s probably the best prospect in our organization overall,” said Red Wings director of player development Jiri Fischer. “Whenever he makes the transition overseas, he’s going to be really exciting to watch at the NHL level.”

It further solidifies that Jarnkrok will play immediately in the big leagues once he skips over to North America. Is he two years away (14-15 season) or maybe even next year?

Imo he's going over next fall. But if he struggles out of the gate I see no reason why his first season couldn't be between Grand Rapids and Detroit. Odds are he sticks on a bottom line at worst, but if not I see no big deal in it. He can't stay another year in Sweden, he's already proved/proving everything he needs here.

There is a lot of shift in the system in my opinion even over the last couple of months since we did the off-season prospect poll. Could be interesting to do another after the WJC's in the new year as a midpoint for the year. I think both Sproul and Ouellet have moved up my board quite a bit.

Also Jensen dropping doesn't make a ton of sense to me. He is having another good year and he wanted to turn pro after last year, so I just don't see him playing his senior year.

I've changed view on a few guys for sure. Best part is it's mostly due to guys rising and not guys falling aswell.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Imo he's going over next fall. But if he struggles out of the gate I see no reason why his first season couldn't be between Grand Rapids and Detroit. Odds are he sticks on a bottom line at worst, but if not I see no big deal in it. He can't stay another year in Sweden, he's already proved/proving everything he needs here.

I will be disappointed if they leave him over there for any reason. He needs to be in NA next season, the only thing I think that could change that is if they draft his cousin. Even then I would still want Jarnkrok in North America.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Matt has liked Sproul more since pretty much day one. His potential is probably higher, but I disagree with it whenever I see him put in front of him. Ouellet is a more polished guy for sure part of the reason one is heading home and the other is going to Russia.

I can't help but salivate at even a poor man's version of Weber/Suter with these two. What's funny, is Ouellet is actually the more likely to fight of the two, but Sproul might just need to keep growing into his now 6'4 frame before becoming a real physical force.

Backman and Marchenko still intrigue me, and I would not be shocked if one of them became the best of the bunch - Smith included.

You have to be excited with the current crop of D prospects, from top to bottom (where there is size and nastiness).

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if there's no season that's really gonna hurt Jarnkrok's chances at sticking in the NHL next year I think

I think the Wings would be a lot less reluctant to give Jarnkrok a real chance if Nyquist and Smith had been able to get full NHL seasons in this year(and Tatar likely a bunch of games as well with various injuries)

instead now they may feel like having Jarnkrok in there too next year would just be too much inexperienced youth to have in the lineup at the same time

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I can't help but salivate at even a poor man's version of Weber/Suter with these two. What's funny, is Ouellet is actually the more likely to fight of the two, but Sproul might just need to keep growing into his now 6'4 frame before becoming a real physical force.

Backman and Marchenko still intrigue me, and I would not be shocked if one of them became the best of the bunch - Smith included.

You have to be excited with the current crop of D prospects, from top to bottom (where there is size and nastiness).

I dont think they play all that much like Suter and Weber. Sprouls got the booming shot but thats about it to compare him to Weber. Ouellet I guess is sound positionally like Suter but hes also got a booming shot, will drop the gloves and play a bit physical.

Not to mention those guys are like 2 of the top 5 d in the league so I really hate seeing people set the bar that high

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont think they play all that much like Suter and Weber. Sprouls got the booming shot but thats about it to compare him to Weber. Ouellet I guess is sound positionally like Suter but hes also got a booming shot, will drop the gloves and play a bit physical.

Not to mention those guys are like 2 of the top 5 d in the league so I really hate seeing people set the bar that high

I prefer Burns and Vlasic still a high bar, but my feeling is they both play closer to them really. I hope Sproul isn't the turnover machine that Burns is and I doubt even as high as I am on XO he can be as perfect with his decisions as Vlasic. He is better offensively than Vlasic and certainly has a bigger shot, but their positioning and how mature they play really reminds me of each other, Vlasic is one of the best in the entire league in his own zone, I don't know that he gets all the way there. There are flaws with any name, no players turn out exactly the same, but if I had to name two players that would be the two I would select. Oddly enough they play for the same team like the Nashville guys did.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
if there's no season that's really gonna hurt Jarnkrok's chances at sticking in the NHL next year I think

I think the Wings would be a lot less reluctant to give Jarnkrok a real chance if Nyquist and Smith had been able to get full NHL seasons in this year(and Tatar likely a bunch of games as well with various injuries)

instead now they may feel like having Jarnkrok in there too next year would just be too much inexperienced youth to have in the lineup at the same time

I don't know how they're gonna get it work but since he's the only top6 capable center coming, I think they need to get him over so he can adapt to the NA style.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Jarnkrok/Tatar-Helm-Samuelsson
Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Tootoo
Emmerton/Andersson/Mursak/Brunner/Eaves ?

One thing is I think Tatar is starting to get bored down there. He's smart, he knows he's second in line behind Nyquist, but he's been there four years now. That's more than paying your dues for a European player and he's doing well on top of it. He doesn't have much leverage however, as he's got next season left on his entry level deal. If they really want to try out Brunner, Tatar might be looking at another season start in the minors. But they gotta monitor the situation so they don't piss him off. If they first promote Nyquist, then bring over Brunner and Jarnkrok on the team and he's down there still.. well.

One option could be to send Calle to the Griffins to center the first line for a while until injuries occur. Maybe he'd be open to the idea, maybe the Wings don't want that, who knows. But from a management standpoint it sounds reasonable.

Let's hope the season starts.. lol.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Järnkrok goes to Griffins at next season, and plays mainly there. There has always been this crap talk how they can see somebody fitting right in to NHL. But it never goes that way. They wan't to bring him in smoothly, through the farm system.

We have just too many people there for the 2013-14 season, but after that, there's a 100% sure spot for Järnkrok, if he develops well. Especially if Datsyuk leaves.

If we let Miller, Eaves, Emmerton, Cleary and Filppula just walk after 2013. There's still probably:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Helm - Samuelsson
Mursak - Abdelkader - Tootoo
(Andersson, Järnkrok)

Better to play down, than sit on the bench. But he will get his NHL stint under the belt, no doubt about that. But I can't believe for full NHL season.

If somebody sees money problem here, he can sign him to 900k 1-way contract to keep him off considering KHL offers and go with that AHL route.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Wings also hasn't had a Euro playing prospect of his calibre for quite some time. Which is probably why they speak highly of him in regards to making the team. But like I said, from a management standpoint it makes a lot of sense.

Maybe the bottomline here is that they should just play the best players. That's the easiest way, and most fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad