Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sproul playing against Sarnia right now. Game tie 1-1, Sproul is minus.

Frk beating he's head against Saint John. Halifax is leading 2-0 after the first, Frk is +1 and picked an secondary assist to Drouin's goal. No pims yet :).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Did anyone see the Athanasiou goal highlight form last night? It was the highlight of the night on TSN, absolutely filthy. He needs to keep it up. By all accounts he hasnt been a problem in the room either

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Did anyone see the Athanasiou goal highlight form last night? It was the highlight of the night on TSN, absolutely filthy. He needs to keep it up. By all accounts he hasnt been a problem in the room either

Yeah, it was posted in the previous prospect thread that was just closed. I agree with the person who compared it to a Datsyuk goal.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Sproul didn't have the best of days. 0 points and was a -3 in a 4-1 loss.

He still has the highest Point per Game totals for defenceman.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Isn't London coached by one of the Hunter's? Not really a shock that a high-skill player wouldn't get along with those guys and get labeled as "lazy" or "locker room cancer". That's the typical Hunter MO for high-skill players who don't fit well into their tidy little inflexible system.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Isn't London coached by one of the Hunter's? Not really a shock that a high-skill player wouldn't get along with those guys and get labeled as "lazy" or "locker room cancer". That's the typical Hunter MO for high-skill players who don't fit well into their tidy little inflexible system.

Not really, he was just being a tool in the dressing room whining about his ice time. Theres plenty of skilled guys on that team that float and they still eat a tonne of ice time.

The Hunters are probably the best at running a junior team in Canada, they wouldnt have traded a guy with the skill AA has without good reason. His behaviour and attitude outweighed his skill last season. Cause for concern but hes also young and a lot of guys are like that at a young age. Hopefully he grows out of it, it already looks like he is

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Last season AA was listed as 165 on the OHL website. Now they list him as 187. The 22 lbs difference is probably helping him elevate his game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Sproul was -3, but really couldn't do anything for those goals. It was mainly his right side defensive parther who was humiliated in 3-1 (by Galchenyuk) and 4-1 goals. The first one was maybe a bad decision from Sproul to go behind the goal.

If Sproul is playing regulary on the left side as a right handed defenceman, it's not the easiest job defensively. I'm 100% sure he will have easier life as right-side, right-handed defenceman at next season in Grand Rapids.

Last edited:

Anchor Town*

Sproul was -3, but really couldn't do anything for those goals. It was mainly his right side defensive parther who was humiliated in 3-1 (by Galchenyuk) and 4-1 goals. The first one was maybe a bad decision from Sproul to go behind the goal.

If Sproul is playing regulary on the left side as a right handed defenceman, it's not the easiest job defensively. I'm 100% sure he will have easier life as right-side, right-handed defenceman at next season in Grand Rapids.

A lot of defensemen prefer to play on their offside. It puts their stick in the middle of the ice opening up better angles to make passes. Only drawback is playing pucks along the boards on their backhand but if they play there enough they can easily adapt to it. Then of course is the added benefit of one timers

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
A lot of defensemen prefer to play on their offside. It puts their stick in the middle of the ice opening up better angles to make passes. Only drawback is playing pucks along the boards on their backhand but if they play there enough they can easily adapt to it. Then of course is the added benefit of one timers

Exactly.

Sproul: lol what defense, I want to score goals.

:sarcasm:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, youre right.

But at Red Wings or at Griffins Sproul won't see a single game on the left side. Because we are missing those righties and it just much more safe to keep lefties on left and righties on the right side. It's called winning hockey. Powerplay of course will be an exeption.

I understand righties on the left side only if you have too much righties on the team. But usually any team does not have because lefties are more common. Looks like Sault Ste Marie is having 5 right-handed defenceman.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Which is why you watch the D-man walk and swap so often on the PP. My guess is Sproul might get to play on the left on the PP assuming he can show he won't eat the puck and give away short handed chances while trying to keep the zone on his backhand. But he will play on the right the rest of the time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Anyone heard much on Ouellets injury? Bob Mackenzie says he doesnt see a way that he isnt at the world juniors on TSN last night but then said the team training staff is going to be watching to make sure his ankle is fine.

Hes skating but hasnt taken contact from what I understand

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
All I've heard is he was supposed to skate today but is/was questionable for the scrimmage tonight. Which by the way is on Fasthockey for free, 9 ET (INFO).

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Ouellet is paired with Harrington
Sproul paired with Pens 8th overall pick Pouliot

Team White d-pairings for intra-squad games: Harrington-Ouellet; Pelech-Murphy; Pouliot-Sproul

Team White lines for intra-squad game: Hudon-Strome-Ritchie; Catenacci-Jenner-Rattie; Monahan-Graovac-McNeill; Shinkaruk

Team Red d-pairings for intra-squad game: Rielly-Hamilton; Wotherspoon-Corrado; Reinhart-Dumba

Team Red lines for intra-squad game: Huberdeau-Nugent-Hopkins-Scheifele; Drouin-MacKinnon-Lipon; Camara-Danault-Wilson; Beauvillier

I take it Rielly-Hamilton Harrington-Ouellet are more or less locks, so the fight is for the 5th and 6th D place (and 1 extra defenseman)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ouellet is paired with Harrington
Sproul paired with Pens 8th overall pick Pouliot

I take it Rielly-Hamilton Harrington-Ouellet are more or less locks, so the fight is for the 5th and 6th D place (and 1 extra defenseman)

I read that Sproul, Murphy and Pouliot are all rotating on the same pairing with Pelech. Murphy and Sproul are the ones really battling for the PP QB spot.

As a Canada fan I like the Ouellet Harrington pairing because they did play great together in the summer, but I wonder if it would be better to put one with Hamilton and one with Rielly. Rielly and Hamilton are both the style where they like to roam and take chances. Might be better to balance them out with guys like Harrington and Ouellet.

I was actually writing a post about Sproul in the team Canada thread and when you really think about it he has come a ridiculously long way.

Didnt start playing in the OHL until part way through his draft year. He climbed from a non OHLer to a decently high second rounder in about three quarters of a season. The year after that he led the OHL in goals for D men and now this season he is tearing the OHL apart and making a good bid to be on team Canada in a lock out year.

The distance he has came in 2 years is ridiculous lol

Aug 6, 2012
I read that Sproul, Murphy and Pouliot are all rotating on the same pairing with Pelech. Murphy and Sproul are the ones really battling for the PP QB spot.

As a Canada fan I like the Ouellet Harrington pairing because they did play great together in the summer, but I wonder if it would be better to put one with Hamilton and one with Rielly. Rielly and Hamilton are both the style where they like to roam and take chances. Might be better to balance them out with guys like Harrington and Ouellet.

I was actually writing a post about Sproul in the team Canada thread and when you really think about it he has come a ridiculously long way.

Didnt start playing in the OHL until part way through his draft year. He climbed from a non OHLer to a decently high second rounder in about three quarters of a season. The year after that he led the OHL in goals for D men and now this season he is tearing the OHL apart and making a good bid to be on team Canada in a lock out year.

Yeah its amazing how fast he is progressing.

And that entire draft class is looking rediculously good right now.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

and all that with a fractured jaw last year and a fractured arm this year forcing him to miss games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->