Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Good first showing for Paterson. Played calm, had some nice saves and allowed nothing.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Theyre talking about Paterson as the player of the game so far. Didnt allow any goals and on the team Canada thread people were really saying good things about him. I'm watching the game and he made some really nice saves. Sproul looked solid but made a couple mistakes, however his main competition Murphy looked far worse. Lots of turnovers and iffy defensive zone play

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
I only saw two mistakes from Sproul, and both came against MacKinnon, so I guess it's not terrible, because next year MacKinnon will be making NHL dmen look foolish. There is no way MaKinnon doesn't make the team this year he is simply an amazing hockey player.

Charles Hudon is a little watterbug out there, he is always around the puck and had some very good chances.

Ryan Murphy should not be in consideration on this team as a defenseman. Just move him to forward, he does not play defense, he's a turnover machine, but he did have a nice rush that lead to a scoring chance off the post.

I couldn't see the numbers on the red team, but one guy I always knew when he was out there was Tom Wilson. That guy hits everything. Also very impressed with Brett Richie, A line of Richie Jenner Wilson would put fear in opponents, make it happen Canada.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
My first time watching Sproul and I'm even more high on him than before. I don't see him being awful defensively as much as I see him being too conservative. I was studying while watching the game so I could of missed a couple things, but the several shifts I saw were solid. Only things I'd like to see him do while working his way to Detroit's line up are, add strength and weight, be more aggressive, and stay in position when he's on the weak side and not circle around so widely and so often in the defensive zone. I can definitely see the Wings/Griffins staff helping him next couple years and see him being on the 1st PP unit with Smith in the near future, maybe 3 years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My first time watching Sproul and I'm even more high on him than before. I don't see him being awful defensively as much as I see him being too conservative. I was studying while watching the game so I could of missed a couple things, but the several shifts I saw were solid. Only things I'd like to see him do while working his way to Detroit's line up are, add strength and weight, be more aggressive, and stay in position when he's on the weak side and not circle around so widely and so often in the defensive zone. I can definitely see the Wings/Griffins staff helping him next couple years and see him being on the 1st PP unit with Smith in the near future, maybe 3 years.

What do you think is going to happen to Kronwall? I do actually think with him being a righty when he is ready to go Sproul might actually bump Smith to anchoring the second PP unit. Like how Kronwall did that for years instead of playing with Lidstrom a lot of the time.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
What do you think is going to happen to Kronwall? I do actually think with him being a righty when he is ready to go Sproul might actually bump Smith to anchoring the second PP unit. Like how Kronwall did that for years instead of playing with Lidstrom a lot of the time.

Kronwall is no young buck and isn't an elite powerplay guy. I think the battle for the first unit would be Kronwall and Smith for the right side and Sproul and hopefully a right handed free agent for the left side.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Had ppretty much the exact same impression as you. He threw the weight around a bit but also ha a good poke check because of his long reach. The defensive play was not all that bad, a lot of people are saying they liked his game quite a bit. Hes a guy that I think will need a decent amonut of time in the AHL but has really high potential when hes done. Needs to add weight and refine his game more.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Paterson played the puck very well. He had a couple stretches passes in a row at one point. I love seeing a goalie who can pass the puck

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Our TOP4 in the future will be Kronwall/Sproul/Ouellet/Smith. If Sproul develops "normally" he is quite sure lock to be at 1st PP with that booming shot. Ouellet and Smith can have that "left-handed battle" for the another spot. If Kronwall can't take that 1st PP duty enough well (I'm not the biggest believer in it), he could still anchor the 2nd PP and be more defensively responsible defenceman. I could also see Calle Järnkrok as the right-handed 2nd PP point-guy there if Samuelsson is not re-signed for another 10 years. ;)

You know what, he will get some lessons from Lidström, Chelios and Jiri Fischer with 10 Norris Trophy and 8 Stanley Cup experience. Our defensive boys will be in good hands. They will learn the good things. Just imagine, that Ryal Sproul toolbox could be developed by Nicklas Lidström at training camps. "How to quarterback the PP, lesson 1, 2, and 3." by Norris-Nick. :yo:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny thing about Riley Sheahan.

Before the Tinky Winky incident:
6 games, 0+1=1, +0.

After the incident:
14 games, 4+3=7, +7.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Agree about the circling and aggression. He looked casual at times, borderline bored when he was waiting for the puck. Almost all his work going forward will be without the puck.

As a sidenote it was the first time I saw Hudon(not our), he looked very similar to Arvidsson who's been kind of a coach/fan favorite this year on the Swedish team. Small waterbug causing havoc..

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I have a feeling Saginaw believes Paterson will be gone for the tournament. Even if it's as a third goalie.

Then went out and acquired someone today to presumably be the back up while Paterson is gone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Any word on if Ouellet is playing today?

Still early in Calgary. Apparently a couple cuts are gong to be made at some point today and the full team named tomorrow. Hopefully Murphy plays like he did yesterday and Sproul gets a point or two or a big hit.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Funny thing about Riley Sheahan.

Before the Tinky Winky incident:
6 games, 0+1=1, +0.

After the incident:
14 games, 4+3=7, +7.

Yeah, I mentioned that when he first started to produce offense. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and will stay on the wagon. It could be coincidence but why not stick with it and see if he can eventually turn into something more than a 3rd or 4th line NHL'er?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You know what, he will get some lessons from Lidström, Chelios and Jiri Fischer with 10 Norris Trophy and 8 Stanley Cup experience. Our defensive boys will be in good hands. They will learn the good things. Just imagine, that Ryal Sproul toolbox could be developed by Nicklas Lidström at training camps. "How to quarterback the PP, lesson 1, 2, and 3." by Norris-Nick. :yo:

We have Cheli and Fischer in NA for the prospects on one side of the pond and Lidstrom on the other to help out with prospects like Backman, who is looking very, very good. :naughty:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Any word on if Ouellet is playing today?
No. RNH, Ritchie, Hudon, Huberdeau, Jenner, Strome, Scheifele, Danault, Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington and Ouellet are the scratches (= will all make the team, imo).

All 4 goalies will play, 2 on both sides, so Paterson as well. Sproul will play. Will be interesting to see Sproul, I've never seen an entire game of his.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
No. RNH, Ritchie, Hudon, Huberdeau, Jenner, Strome, Scheifele, Danault, Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington and Ouellet are the scratches (= will all make the team, imo).

All 4 goalies will play, 2 on both sides, so Paterson as well. Sproul will play. Will be interesting to see Sproul, I've never seen an entire game of his.

Gord Miller on twitter says if you are not playing today you are pretty much a lock for the team. That's great. Hopefully Sproul and Paterson get a spot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
IIRC Fasthockey.com is streaming them for free, you just have to make an account, it takes all of one minute. Pretty decent quality and even comes with play by play commentators

Today's game starts at 1:30PM Mountain time, 3:30 Eastern

That's 22:30 in Finland. Not bad. Have to see this.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Paterson is playing for Alberta in the second half of this game. I dont know what to make of that, maybe they want to see him face guys like Mackinnon and he has a shot at the team?

Sproul didnt do much that period from what I saw, didnt do anything bad either. Murphy once again has had a couple turn overs and got danced around which helps Sproul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad