Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings @ Oilers (October 18, 2019 at 7:00 pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I’m not talking about trades I’m talking about trying some of our guys in Bako if the current group continues to struggle. Guys like Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, Currie, Gambardella, even guys like McLeod or Maksinov possibly. If the current group continues to not get it done there’s no harm in bringing some of these guys up and giving them a go for a few games see if someone can contribute and stick.

Well, they are 6-1 to start the season. The argument can be made that they are, in fact, getting it done even if the bottom 6 don't score a lot. But it's also a small sample size. There is no reason why they likes of Jurco, Sheahan, Granlund, and Chiasson do not put upwards of 20 points in the remaining 70+ games.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
The Oilers using their 3rd jerseys, Lagesson probably in the line-up and Haas in for Granlund.
3am start though, guess this will be some awful long night for me, haha.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So? Keeping Russell with Klefbom because of one play that Russell could have made playing without Klefbom is no reason to shackle Russell to Klefbom against top line competition. Was it a good play? Sure. However, Manning scored a goal last game, should he now be on the top pair? No. The logic is bad. The operative word being bad, just like that Klefbom-Russell pairing was visually and statistically for a lot of that Philly game.

I don't dislike Kris Russell and I value what he brings, but his game is not suited to the first pairing. His instincts are not puck moving instincts and his style of game isn't complementary to Klefbom's game so why put them together? Honestly, and I might gag here, but Benning might be a better option with Klefbom based on his strengths. That pair might get crushed against top competition but not likely as badly as Klefbom-Russell got caved in the last game.

I don't disagree with any of that (well except the Benning part). I just thought it was ironic to criticize "off the glass and out" in a game where it led to a goal and in any case is never a terrible play.

Russell is what he is, passable, trustworthy and effective in defending and that's it. The fact he's on the 2nd pairing right now speaks to our lack of depth in those particular attributes. Tippett, being a pro-NHL coach (e.g. risk adverse) is likely putting Russell there for the exact same reasons you say he shouldn't be there. I'm sure if Tippett felt he had a guy that could 1) win the puck back and 2) make a better outlet... against mid-top competition, he'd put him there.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Again we are facing a team on a back to back. A game that is very winnable. Keep padding those stats boys!

Just so you know, back to back games actually have no effect on the outcome.

I do a fair amount of sports betting and:

teams playing back to backs lose 54% of the time.

The problem with this is, teams play back to backs more often on the road.
And the home team in hockey actually has a 59% win percentage.

So you could argue that the 2nd game of back to back on the road you have a better chance of winning then normal. (it's within the margin of error so it actually has no impact).

Reactions: onetweasy

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I haven't heard anything regarding Lagesson drawing in. I hope he plays over Manning but maybe they want him to get a few practices in first.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Hell ... just give ManDog another game.

When the Oilers are first in NHL... I got love for everybody!

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Icing the same lineup as last game and we bag a 4-1 win. Nurse with a tally, Kassian, RNH and one of the bottom 6 bang one home. McDavid with a mere 2 assists.

More like Draisaitl 2 goals, McDavid 1 goal, and Neal 1 goal.
McDavid and Draisaitl with 2 assists, Nuge 1 ass, Kassian 1 assists.

We all know this.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I read it on CalgaryPuck that the NHL schedule is always biased in Oilers favor and against the Flames because we either get to play teams before the Flames (teams are arriving/traveling) or after them (teams are tired after playing another game). Since it's CP it must be true.

That trade is more and more genius for every day! What a mental-psychic demon Holland is, that could forsee this! Its not fair to the rest of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad