Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Agree with you.

Who is the best possible guy going in college?

Would it be waste to use 18th pick for that kind of guy?

Because that would transfer his joining in the team for few years. Also European pick would be ideal, because the rights are now owned for 4 years before you need to sign him.

Santini or Compher.

Both are reaches there imo. Maybe 2nd but for Santini that is probably too late.

But then there could be players like McCarron, Thompson or Fasching with that 2nd.

Though some may decide to guy the junior route. McCarron is rumored I think, Windsor has his rights iirc.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Remember Johan Ryno? Do we really need to go through that again? Yes the kid is talented. He's also a head case. Too easy to get him off his game and in the NHL they'll lean on him every shift he takes and render him completely useless. Too much risk here.

When people read the scouting profiles of players, they need to be aware and take into consideration where it says, "Players Weaknesses", etc, that were still talking about a kid who's going in the first round. When they talk about taking shifts off etc, they're not really saying the guy doesnt want to play or he's not a team player, etc. They'll always find something to whine about. The "compete level" questioning is the worst one. Sergei Fedorov because of his different stride always received that one. People said he didnt skate hard enough. Funny, most the time unless your name was Pavel Bure, Fedorov was the fastest skater out there. He just had a different stride. People whined cause his legs didnt move fast enough. Like really.... ever watch speed skaters??? People will find something to whine about. I could rip Mackinnon up and down about his level of play at the WJC. It's not fair though..

What it comes down to, is can the kid play or not. You dont get drafted in the first round if you cannot. Then it becomes a learning process. There's no comparison here to Johan Ryno. Not even close. Not sure where you came up with that comparison as Johan Ryno suffered from what a lot of Europeans do when he came over. It's called North America and the ice we play on. Not even close as to the player either.

Anyway. Dont get sucked into the "weakness" thing on scouting reports. Bobby Ryan for instance had some reports talking about how his skating hurts his ability to compete. Reading that on face value could be pretty damning. Concentrate on the things a players does well. Honestly, if you read the reports, completely ignore weaknesses unless its size, physical maturity or criminal activity. Then readjust your rankings. Save those and then look at what those players did in 5 years. You'll be amazed at how close it comes out.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Agree with you.

Who is the best possible guy going in college?

Would it be waste to use 18th pick for that kind of guy?

Because that would transfer his joining in the team for few years. Also European pick would be ideal, because the rights are now owned for 4 years before you need to sign him.
In keeping with you guys, I wonder if that's going to be part of the plan: drafting Europeans and college kids because they can wait 4 years. The team has tons of young talent coming through the system, so guys that can take their time in college/Europe would be able to fill in spots where guys busted.

For example, if they like Hagg enough, he could play in 4 years and fill in for whoever busted between Ouellet/Jensen/Sproul/Backman/Marchenko.

I wonder if this will give Hakan a bit more say at the draft table, too. It makes European players better assets.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If you have a player you really like but you know he's not physically mature, etc, and you firmly believe he'll be an NHL player down the road, I can see it.

Dont however NOT take a guy who's path to the NHL is faster just because you have tons of prospects, etc. If the guy can play and make your team better, you take him. You always find spots for guys who can play. Dont pass on a guy because you probably wont have room over the next two years.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
When people read the scouting profiles of players, they need to be aware and take into consideration where it says, "Players Weaknesses", etc, that were still talking about a kid who's going in the first round.

No one is denying his talent. What im denying is using a 1st round pick on a kid whose head isnt where it ought to be

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Though some may decide to guy the junior route. McCarron is rumored I think, Windsor has his rights iirc.

Rights are owned by London. (via trade)
It will be a tough sell for the Hunters.

McCarron can see the possibly of 8 NHL drafted Forwards returning to London. He would be the new guy on the block and PP time in London is always at a premium.

On the other hand a guaranteed Memorial Cup appearance would make the sell easier.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
When people read the scouting profiles of players, they need to be aware and take into consideration where it says, "Players Weaknesses", etc, that were still talking about a kid who's going in the first round. When they talk about taking shifts off etc, they're not really saying the guy doesnt want to play or he's not a team player, etc. They'll always find something to whine about. The "compete level" questioning is the worst one. Sergei Fedorov because of his different stride always received that one. People said he didnt skate hard enough. Funny, most the time unless your name was Pavel Bure, Fedorov was the fastest skater out there. He just had a different stride. People whined cause his legs didnt move fast enough. Like really.... ever watch speed skaters??? People will find something to whine about. I could rip Mackinnon up and down about his level of play at the WJC. It's not fair though..

What it comes down to, is can the kid play or not. You dont get drafted in the first round if you cannot. Then it becomes a learning process. There's no comparison here to Johan Ryno. Not even close. Not sure where you came up with that comparison as Johan Ryno suffered from what a lot of Europeans do when he came over. It's called North America and the ice we play on. Not even close as to the player either.

Anyway. Dont get sucked into the "weakness" thing on scouting reports. Bobby Ryan for instance had some reports talking about how his skating hurts his ability to compete. Reading that on face value could be pretty damning. Concentrate on the things a players does well. Honestly, if you read the reports, completely ignore weaknesses unless its size, physical maturity or criminal activity. Then readjust your rankings. Save those and then look at what those players did in 5 years. You'll be amazed at how close it comes out.

This might be one of the most sane, rational things I've ever read on a sports forum. Very well thought out argument and I agree 100%. Also: the player comparisons. Some ppl use it "directly" but most scouts mean "in the style of". So for example when ppl say "Jarnkrok reminds me of Zetterberg" it doesn't mean we have 2 Zetterbergs. It means they attack the game in the same way and have similar skill sets/playstyles.

I mean, I see some Bobby Orr in Jake Gardiner; that doesn't mean Jake Gardiner is ever going to be mentioned in the same breath as Bobby Orr as a player.

Great post tho. Thanks.

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
if anthony mantha is available the wings take him for sure ...this kid have 18 years old and he scored 50 goals last year he is a pure shooter ...

but a little prediction the sabres or the blue jackets probably draft mantha before the wings ... if the wings want a forward at the 18 rank they probably have the choice between zykov,hartman,lazar,burakovsky or rychel

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
if anthony mantha is available the wings take him for sure ...this kid have 18 years old and he scored 50 goals last year he is a pure shooter ...

but a little prediction the sabres or the blue jackets probably draft mantha before the wings ... if the wings want a forward at the 18 rank they probably have the choice between zykov,hartman,lazar,burakovsky or rychel
I have a feeling the Wings are high on Mantha and willing to develop him, because he does have some pretty big issues and is going to need a team to really buy into him for the long haul.

I like Zykov the most of that group, though Lazar & Rychel are pretty darn good players in their own right.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
You know that -- this is hockey's future, right?
We've got a zillion threads for Free agent and roster speculation:)

This is true, but on this board we're not going to have a new thread with the exact same title pop up every 10 minutes.

:help:

Ironically, we may have to make a second thread for this at some point if we go over 1,000 posts. But again, not a new thread every 5 damn seconds.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Rights are owned by London. (via trade)
It will be a tough sell for the Hunters.

McCarron can see the possibly of 8 NHL drafted Forwards returning to London. He would be the new guy on the block and PP time in London is always at a premium.

On the other hand a guaranteed Memorial Cup appearance would make the sell easier.

Dale Hunter is a really big part of the Knights ability to attract young players, his coaching is solid and he coaches a pro-style that prepares players better for the NHL.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
No one is denying his talent. What im denying is using a 1st round pick on a kid whose head isnt where it ought to be

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Because a scouting reports mentions something, people start saying things about his compete level, etc and then it becomes, his heads not in it... How do you know where Anthony Mantha's heads at?? Let the teams evaluate stuff like that and make educated decisions.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings are going to pick best available player - The Macomb Daily

“The only difference this year is we’d really like to get a forward, unless there’s a defenseman that’s too good to pass up,†said Joe McDonnell, the team’s director of amateur scouting. “When it comes to our pick, if we feel there’s two players that are even we’ll lean toward the forward.â€

“Every team’s almost in the same boat,†McDonnell said. “It’s just the way the game has evolved. It’s a big man’s game. I’m not saying there’s no room for smaller guys, but if you can get a big, skilled guy, you go that route. Still take small guys if we have to. But we’re looking to get bigger. We have bigger guys coming up in (Tomas) Jurco and (Riley) Sheahan.â€

“We’re excited, at 18, we know we’ll get someone we really like,†McDonnell said. “The draft in general is strong, in the first round and even into the second round. It’s deep at the top end of the draft and then it peters out. There will be guys we like even in the seventh round. But the high-end part of the draft is good. At 18, we’ll get a quality player.â€

Looks like they are not going after defencemen or midget forwards with that 1st pick.

Hopefully someone like Mantha is there. He is big and he can score.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm starting to like Mantha more. I know about the "Franzen 2.0" speculation, but man would it be nice to get a true goal scorer. It seems like we already have a lot of two way guys in the system, so maybe try for the home run.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't mind if we pick Mantha. Saad had similar problems surrounding him before Chicago drafted him. Mantha may or may to work out but he could be a home run pick.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Personally, I want them to trade up to 10 and grab a potentially franchise player if available. It'd cost a ton, but I believe it is the move to make.

Wild On Sports ‏@WildOnSports 6h

Ken Holland on trading 1st rounders: "we dont plan on moving up in the draft...

*long pause*

...significantly." #smww

So that's possible. They are not going to trade to top5, because that's obviously too expensive, but maybe some picks higher.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
So that's possible. They are not going to trade to top5, because that's obviously too expensive, but maybe some picks higher.

I still think we'll end up trading back to 25 & picking up the 36th in the process. Unless someone like Shinkaruk/Wennberg fall to 13/14/15 I don't see us getting much further with our 2nd, maybe 12 if we're lucky.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I didn't read entirely through this thread, so I don't know if his name is mentioned, but he probably was.

What do you guys think of Bo Horvat from the London Knights? Skilled winger it seems who can play center too. Had 33 goals this year and looks to be like one of those clutch players. Kinda reminds me of Danny Briere in a way. Not sure if it's good comparison, though. I haven't watched too much of him minus some clips, but looked good in the videos I've seen him in; he is 6'0 so he's not too small either.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
If Zadorov is there he'd be a steal. Same with Ristolainen or Nurse. They may think about guys like Mirco Mueller or Samuel Morin or even Josh Morrissey, if all the quality Forwards are gone.

Personally, I want them to trade up to 10 and grab a potentially franchise player if available. It'd cost a ton, but I believe it is the move to make.

What would the cost be? 18th + Jurco/Jarnkrok + Sproul/Ouellet + ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad