Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As am I.....but if someone out a gun to my head and said you can only keep one.....I wouldnt hesitate to say Kindl

I would only say that if I had a gun to my head and that was the only way they wouldn't pull the trigger. Smith is already ahead of him on the depth chart and is way ahead of where Kindl was at the same point in their careers too.

Kindl was playing for his NHL livelihood last year with over 100 career games under his belt. I have been a big Kindl supporter over the years, was happy to finally see him getting his chances, but taking him over Smith is a mistake, it is a mistake now and it is an even larger mistake in the future.

RedWingsNow*

I think Smith has more upside.I also think it's more likely that Kind develops into the more well-rounded defenseman.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I would only say that if I had a gun to my head and that was the only way they wouldn't pull the trigger. Smith is already ahead of him on the depth chart and is way ahead of where Kindl was at the same point in their careers too.

Kindl was playing for his NHL livelihood last year with over 100 career games under his belt. I have been a big Kindl supporter over the years, was happy to finally see him getting his chances, but taking him over Smith is a mistake, it is a mistake now and it is an even larger mistake in the future.
We're never going to agree

Red Wings get a prospect that his father told me personally (admittedly he was flabergasted) that NHL scouts have described as a blend of Letang and Lidstrom

Letang sucks out loud

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Anybody know this Norstebo character from Brynas? He sure sounds like your typical Red Wings pick (ie Hakan pick) to me. Especially considering, if I remember it correctly, Hakan mentioning how he was expecting to see an increased flow of talent coming out of Norway. Later round gem, maybe? ;)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anybody know this Norstebo character from Brynas? He sure sounds like your typical Red Wings pick (ie Hakan pick) to me. Especially considering, if I remember it correctly, Hakan mentioning how he was expecting to see an increased flow of talent coming out of Norway. Later round gem, maybe? ;)

Calm player. Smart. Norweigan version of Jonas Brodin.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Just my two cents but:

Kindl isn't going to get piles better and it's not a given that he's going to maintain his play from this season. His track record of "kinda sucking" is longer than his track record of "being decent".

Smith has a lot more talent than he does, and frankly that's pretty obvious watching them play.

If you're saying dump Smith and keep Kindl, it has to be in my mind because you don't believe Smith is ever going to correct his "hand grenade" plays in our zone. That's fine, but I don't agree with you and I don't think it's a good idea to give up on a player with his skill set so soon.

Just watch both of them skate; to me it's obvious. Not insulting anyone or anything, but I don't really understand this line of reasoning unless you legitimately think Smith is toast as a defenseman.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Just my two cents but:

Kindl isn't going to get piles better and it's not a given that he's going to maintain his play from this season. His track record of "kinda sucking" is longer than his track record of "being decent".

Smith has a lot more talent than he does, and frankly that's pretty obvious watching them play.

If you're saying dump Smith and keep Kindl, it has to be in my mind because you don't believe Smith is ever going to correct his "hand grenade" plays in our zone. That's fine, but I don't agree with you and I don't think it's a good idea to give up on a player with his skill set so soon.

Just watch both of them skate; to me it's obvious. Not insulting anyone or anything, but I don't really understand this line of reasoning unless you legitimately think Smith is toast as a defenseman.

I still have very high hopes for Smith. If he becomes solid in his own end (which I firmly believe he will), he his destined to become at least a very solid #3-4 D, but most probably a top 2 defender. He has a much higher ceiling than Kindl, and choosing between them is like choosing between Duncan Keith and Hjalmarsson. A no-brainer. :handclap:

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
the red wings are proud to select...

in the first round draft pick

wings need a forward

now its time to make your choiceand prediction

VALENTIN ZYKOV
ANTHONY MANTHA
ALEXANDER WENNBERG
KERBY RYCHEL
RYAN HARTMAN
BO HORVAT
ANDREI BURAKOVSKY
CURTIS LAZAR
ADAM ERNE
FREDERIK GAUTHIER

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Tony Hand.

Wait: I can do better. Charlie Conway! Done. Book it! - Yes, I stole Konnan's joke. Damnit, I like Conway better than Banks. He has a LOT OF HEART, kinda like Dan Cleary. *dodge*

Last edited:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Im going Adam Banks. I know he's undersized, but he has that Bure quality about him.

If I could upvote this, I would.

Seriously if it has to be a forward and I have to answer the question without knowing who's gonna fall: I'm hoping for Zykov.

Frankly, I'll take anyone who can make it up to the big club in less than 4 years; position not super important (although a first round goalie would annoy me; being a disciple of the chosen one who waits in the holy land of Grand Rapids).

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Trade.The.Pick.

Actually, if we act fast we can probably still buy out Kyle Quincey; let him negotiate with a team and then trade *that* team our first round pick for future considerations... which of course would be, Kyle Quincey! :)

You want to trade down? or are you saying move the pick for an asset right now? If the latter, who do you think we could get for the #18 overall in this draft? I know you can't say which teams would be open to a trade but what kinda player would #18 fetch right now?

Last edited:

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Actually, if we act fast we can probably still buy out Kyle Quincey; let him negotiate with a team and then trade *that* team our first round pick for future considerations... which of course would be, Kyle Quincey! :)

You want to trade down? or are you saying move the pick for an asset right now? If the latter, who do you think we could get for the #18 overall in this draft? I know you can't say which teams would be open to a trade but what kinda player would #18 fetch right now?

Trade back. Its a deep draft. Maybe more than once if possible and pick up a couple extra 2nd rounders....MTL could be a team looking to move up. I hear they REALLY like Zykov

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Ansah is a beast. Was hoping he'd be there for the Bills

Are you telling me that there's no chance Mayhew was sitting there and thinking to himself "Man, I like Ziggy. That's just such a cool word. I realize he's been playing football for about 15 minutes but screw it, I'm in charge here and if I don't want to have to learn how to properly pronounce Miliner, I don't have to."

As a life long Lions fan; I disbelieve.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Drafting by name is a great method for success!

Let's just say that for the second year in a row I was not particularly thrilled with the Lions decisions early in the draft.

Last year; I dreamed that we could somehow get Janoris Jenkins and despite him being there, we passed on him twice. Mind blowing.

This year it was Miliner. I suspect that because Mayhew himself was an undersized scrappy battling CB who got by as much on hustle and effort as talent; that he somehow doesn't understand that the NFL isn't like that anymore. You need elite, shutdown guys or your defense won't get there. We just pass on them, take a scrub like Bentley later and hope "someone breaks through".

"it makes me, wanna dieeeee"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad