Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
What we actually need aside of obvious things (signing Mo, Ray, buying out Hall, etc) is a trade for 1C/2C center. They don't grow on trees so Steve Y needs to fool one of the GMs, perhaps one of those that will be frustrated by his team results and/or by a certain player. Somethibg Vegas did with Eichel.

Otherwise, we go nowhere.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What we actually need aside of obvious things (signing Mo, Ray, buying out Hall, etc) is a trade for 1C/2C center. They don't grow on trees so Steve Y needs to fool one of the GMs, perhaps one of those that will be frustrated by his team results and/or by a certain player. Something Vegas did with Eichel.

Best Centers at the UFA market will be:

- Elias Lindholm
- Sean Monahan (best ppg of 0.71 of all UFA centers)
- Chandler Stephenson
- Alex Wennberg

But yeah, if hoping for better Centers, it has to happen with a trade.

Reactions: flychairman

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What we actually need aside of obvious things (signing Mo, Ray, buying out Hall, etc) is a trade for 1C/2C center. They don't grow on trees so Steve Y needs to fool one of the GMs, perhaps one of those that will be frustrated by his team results and/or by a certain player. Somethibg Vegas did with Eichel.

I agree...

Though I'd strongly add that along with Holl we need to dump Fabbri and Matta for late rd picks and that Husso needs to go to bring in a legit starter..

Apart from that 2 rookies(SE being one) have to be given spots on the opening night roster..

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Wont happen this off season but I can see debrincat being dealt at some point before his contract ends especially if our rookies take off

I know lots of fans wont agree but hes making almost 8 mill ... just when we need him to step it up with Larkin gone he goes off for 2 assists in 10 games

Pretty bad ... and I can see him being tossed around in the playoffs and being a non factor. Raymond's not huge but hes a winner and hes relentless. If we ever need a big chunk of cap space I can see him gone in like 2026

He hasn't impressed me

Last edited:
Reactions: DamonDRW

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Wont happen this off season but I can see debrincat being dealt at some point before his contract ends especially if our rookies take off

I know lost fans wont agree but hes making almost 8 mill ... just when we need him to step it up with Larkin gone he goes off for 2 assists in 10 games

Pretty bad ... and I can see him being tossed around in the playoffs and being a non factor. Raymond's not huge but hes a winner and hes relentless. If we ever need a big chunk of cap space I can see him gone in like 2026

He hasn't impressed me
Yeah he will have to play much better next year to prove his worth or I can see Stevie shipping him out

Reactions: letsgowings9999

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Best Centers at the UFA market will be:

- Elias Lindholm
- Sean Monahan (best ppg of 0.71 of all UFA centers)
- Chandler Stephenson
- Alex Wennberg

But yeah, if hoping for better Centers, it has to happen with a trade.
These guys are seeking for a payday. So big no. Thus group reminds me Okposo, Ladd and Ericsson in 14 or 15.

What we can hope for is let's say a trade for Sean Couturier. Obviously, Flyers don't make the playoffs and each and every player will be to blame except for Tortorella and their GM (they overacheved though in my eyes).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
These guys are seeking for a payday. So big no. Thus group reminds me Okposo, Ladd and Ericsson in 14 or 15.

What we can hope for is let's say a trade for Sean Couturier. Obviously, Flyers don't make the playoffs and each and every player will be to blame except for Tortorella and their GM (they overacheved though in my eyes).
All your Copp/Comphers are belong to us.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Considering our cap/roster space and folks looking to inject some identity...should overpaying a bit for two years of Clutterbuck be an option? He might just not want to leave NYI, but if he can hold down a regular shift, handle PK minutes, and definitely sets a physical tone.

I know he isn't the high end add a lot of us want, but he might be better spent than another middle6 forward who will put up better numbers but will also come with much higher cap/salary hits.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The 8-year dels did give a big advantage on years 2019-2024, when the cap did pretty much stand pat.

But Future estimations for cap rise are huge. The short bridge or medium long-term + later extensions will cost more on the 3rd contract, but the cap will be rising all the time like mad. You pay more, but there's always cap space.

These corona losses for NHL economy are finally behind and the future will be different. Bridge deals will become the steals again and 8-years after that will be reansonable contracts. Don't have to worry for overpaying.

That cap growth change is some mathematics which many won't understand.

What's to say another global recession couldn't hit like Corona did? It's not wise to count your chickens before they hatch.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
One on hand, Couturier is 31 years old with declining production and has been scratched twice with his team in the middle of a playoff chase. On the other hand, he's under contract for 6 more years at $7.8M with tons of bonuses, so he's completely buyout proof when it doesn't work out. So yeah, sign me up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What's to say another global recession couldn't hit like Corona did? It's not wise to count your chickens before they hatch.

That's a possibility, but NHL overall economy ratings will look so promising at the moment, that the growth could be a lot higher than 5%, if there's no global recession. So there's already kind of a bumper to take some economical hit, when the NHL economics absolutely great.

With 5% yearly growth, 87.5M cap would be 129M after 8 years.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
That's a possibility, but NHL overall economy ratings will look so promising at the moment, that the growth could be a lot higher than 5%, if there's no global recession. So there's already kind of a bumper to take some economical hit, when the NHL economics absolutely great.

With 5% yearly growth, 87.5M cap would be 129M after 8 years.

There is cba renewal that could change it. Also the problem with your poverty is that growth will remain static which isn't a guarantee. I wouldn't put much faith in growth past say 2-3 years tops if nothing emerges that causes it to recalculate.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So if this team were to take a serious run at upgrading the top 6 center (ie. acquire a bonafide 1B/2A) who would be the best options?

Sign Lindholm? Trade for Kadri? Both feel like a modest upgrade over compher.

What else might be out there?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
So if this team were to take a serious run at upgrading the top 6 center (ie. acquire a bonafide 1B/2A) who would be the best options?

Sign Lindholm? Trade for Kadri? Both feel like a modest upgrade over compher.

What else might be out there?
Zegras, especially if Anaheim wins the lottery and takes Celbrini.

But that one is tricky, Zegras certainly has talent and warts. Not sure what price anyone would be comfortable doing in a trade to get him. No idea if Yzerman would even want him, my guess is not.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Zegras, especially if Anaheim wins the lottery and takes Celbrini.

But that one is tricky, Zegras certainly has talent and warts. Not sure what price anyone would be comfortable doing in a trade to get him. No idea if Yzerman would even want him, my guess is not.

Zegras is a talented player no doubt but im not sure he makes this team stronger down the middle.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
As much as I want a 2C I don't see anyone available that I think would be a clear upgrade over the mess we currently have. I don't want to see us bring in another 5-7 mil center that can't really produce.

What I really want is to bring in a legitimate top 4 partner for Ed. Trouba and Ekblad are two guys that would really interest me. Trouba is nice in that he has two years left would be a solid transition to the rest of our young D.

If we could rock something like:
Seider- Chiarot
Trouba- Ed
Petry/Aljo-Walman

I would really like that defense. It's got great size. Some nastiness. A decent ability to move the puck on all 3 pairs. Maata would need to be dealt and Holl is probably bought out. Veleno's right are probably dealt too.

Our 4th line would be Kasper, Berg, and a league min guy, but it is doable. You could make like 1 mil of Kane's cap a 35+ bonus if needed.

It's certainly not a perfect lineup, but I'd say it'd be a significant upgrade for a full season at D. Hope Husso can at least backup and we clear a good chunk of cap space losing Fabbri, Husso, and Petry the following season with only Lyon due for a raise if he has a solid year as our starter.

1712060019900.png

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Call me crazy or flame away but imagine the very slight possible of a top 4 of Seider, Edvinsson, Sandin Pelikka ( ya you heard that correctly) and a Pesce, Ekblad, Parayko, Trouba caliber player. You'd be paying Seider and a vet and the other 2 would be ELCs. Walman and Chairot as your 5 and 6 until their contracts are done. Figure out what to do with Maata, Holl and Petry..

It would free up money for forwards, Re sign Kane. Give Raymond his raise and go for another 2C. (Stammer) again call me crazy but he's finishing his contract at under 9 and maybe sign a 3-5 deal. Proven goalscorer, cup winner, good leader and strong Yzerman Ties.

Cat Larkin Kane
Raymond Stammer Berggren
Not quite sure how to fill out the bottom 6 but Mazur, Kasper and Danielson may have a shot to crack the team.

In net go Lyon and try to grab another goalie for a few years until cossa is ready..Saros?.

The team would have cup winners, vets, rookies but your top 4 and top 6 is set for a few years until guys get promoted.

Does it work salary cap wise? No clue bit it would be pretty close I'd assume.

Fully expecting to get torched but just seeing what people thought lol. No game on, no new posts and was bored.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pesce, Stamkos...

Does it work salary cap wise? No clue bit it would be pretty close I'd assume.

Fully expecting to get torched but just seeing what people thought lol. No game on, no new posts and was bored.

I think if you add Pesce, there's no room for Stamkos. Or vice versa.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Who should play with Larkin and Raymond. ? Probably younger Peron version.
Raymond -Larkin - ?
Kane will be gone, probably play with Chicago
Cat- Compher - Rasmussen
Kids line
Berggren - Kasper - Mazur
Fabbri -Veleno -Copp-
Walman Seider
Edvinsson Chiarot
Maatta Petri

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd be curious if there is a better chance than we are giving credit to it for Kaspar and Danielson to be on the team next year. The timing on the big roster is pretty spot on with some older guys leaving. We still have Copp and Comphere able to center their own lines so neither of the kids would be forced into playing center as rookies, while also having the option of easing them into the position as the season progresses.

Also, Yzerman probably isn't happy with how this season has wound down. So moving on from some of the UFA is probably very on the table, and we don't have gobs of cap space to make waves on the market - making it more plausible for the Wings to look at bringing in kids. Unlikely, but just a thought.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I'd be curious if there is a better chance than we are giving credit to it for Kaspar and Danielson to be on the team next year. The timing on the big roster is pretty spot on with some older guys leaving. We still have Copp and Comphere able to center their own lines so neither of the kids would be forced into playing center as rookies, while also having the option of easing them into the position as the season progresses.

Also, Yzerman probably isn't happy with how this season has wound down. So moving on from some of the UFA is probably very on the table, and we don't have gobs of cap space to make waves on the market - making it more plausible for the Wings to look at bringing in kids. Unlikely, but just a thought.
I thinks that's very plausible we could see a bunch of new guys next year. Not to mention Berggren has to either play or get traded. Which maybe will be part of a package for an impact player. Kasper, Danielson, Mazur, all should have a shot. Ed will be up full time next year and then there's Wallinder and AlJo is RFA at the end of this season..

None the less next year is gonna be another complete guess on how they will be..Not to mention goaltending and maybe even coaching can change next season.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm looking for a easy way out of Holl that doesn't involve retaining money and sending a pick or prospect to another team. Does Abby's buyout come off the books this offseason?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I thinks that's very plausible we could see a bunch of new guys next year. Not to mention Berggren has to either play or get traded. Which maybe will be part of a package for an impact player. Kasper, Danielson, Mazur, all should have a shot. Ed will be up full time next year and then there's Wallinder and AlJo is RFA at the end of this season..

None the less next year is gonna be another complete guess on how they will be..Not to mention goaltending and maybe even coaching can change next season.
1... we need to get a goalie who an reliably play 55 games a season until Cossa can (so at least 2 more seasons)

2. We need to substantially upgrade our top 3 on the blueline via trade or free agency

3. SE needs to be the among the top 4 other blueline from day one

4. We need a proven top 6 forward AND resign Kane

5. One of Kasper, Danielson or Mazur need to make the roster from day one

6. Holl, Ghost, Fabbri, Perron and Husso need to be gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad