Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
let reimer, kane, sprong, perron, ghost all walk dont bring them back. i wouldnt mind if fischer is back. hopefully they can dump holl and copp. bring up the kids and sign what we need, RD, 2nd line winger maybe a 2C if there is one out there.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Trade for Brady Tkachuk, idk, maybe Yzerman sees some Shanahan in him. :sarcasm: :oops: :rolleyes:

Wyatt Johnston in Dallas.

Travis Konecny

Hopefully Oilers blow it and one of the big two want out.

Clayton Keller

Idk, something. I've seen enough place holders signed multiple yeas in a row to know money can be better spent on one player vs two players like Kostin/Holl. Easy in hindsight sure, but both were pretty well questioned right away. Between the two that didnt and now don't play it's over 4.5 million.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I just don’t see how we can possibly integrate all the young talent and give them legitimate chances with the current timeline

Unless there is a big change in roster construction next year, I don’t understand the vision

What Yzerman has said and what Lalonde has done this season just don’t add up to me

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13 and Snuggs

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I just don’t see how we can possibly integrate all the young talent and give them legitimate chances with the current timeline

Unless there is a big change in roster construction next year, I don’t understand the vision

What Yzerman has said and what Lalonde has done this season just don’t add up to me
How many kids would you want to see integrated next year? I can see four being done pretty easily.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Tbh I'm expecting a trade centered around this year's first rounder and some prospects--thinking Berggren and some defensemen. The goal ought to be targeting the following: a mid-term partner for Ed that can square the circle for our blueline, a top six forward with size/intensity, and/or an honest-to-god 1A goalie.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Out of all the issues with this team, his production and remaining 3 years of his contract is way way down the list IMO.
Trade him in a heart beat if it meant getting someone like a reinhart

Need to shed money to get a big name with seider and raymond getting paid

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Probably would have to retain half, which would make up for the $1.5M they're paying Petry. Evens out in a weird sort of way.
hes making what 3.4? I'm sure it would take less money . Right dmen are always in demand and I'm sure someone will think he can play better elsewhere a d just had a bad season

Maybe 2.3-2.5 someone grabs him. Either way he needs to be gone a long with a few other dmen

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Yep.

People are looking too much on his former goal totals. Guy has better overall game than just goal-scoring.
He hasn't played terrible just not scoring and he was pretty snake bitten. Still getting the points and has got in a few scraps plus he's a hometown guy. His scoring will be back I'm sure and he is streaky with the goals but that doesn't mean get rid of him.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Larkin 8.7
Seider 8x8.5, I hope
Raymond 8x8.2, I hope
Debrincat 7.8
Kane 2x6, I hope
Copp 5.6
Compher 5.1
Chiarot 4.7
Huso 4.7
Fabbri 4
Walman 3.4 too cheap
Maatta 3
It's only 12 and total already 70 mil.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He hasn't played terrible just not scoring and he was pretty snake bitten. Still getting the points and has got in a few scraps plus he's a hometown guy. His scoring will be back I'm sure and he is streaky with the goals but that doesn't mean get rid of him.

1713247375452.png

JFresh numbers including last year, and change to this year.

So, kind of, his offence is heavily back and that jump from OTT -31 season to DET +0 comes mostly from team-defence, because his relative individual defence vs. team has stayed pretty much same.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
View attachment 852643

JFresh numbers including last year, and change to this year.

So, kind of, his offence is heavily back and that jump from OTT -31 season to DET +0 comes mostly from team-defence, because his relative individual defence vs. team has stayed pretty much same.
I believe this is actually showing the average of this year and last as it says the sample is 162 games. So his numbers this year offensively I believe would actually be higher I believe than this is even showing.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Larkin 8.7
Seider 8x8.5, I hope
Raymond 8x8.2, I hope
Debrincat 7.8
Kane 2x6, I hope
Copp 5.6
Compher 5.1
Chiarot 4.7
Huso 4.7
Fabbri 4
Walman 3.4 too cheap
Maatta 3
It's only 12 and total already 70 mil.
Fabbri and Husso both need to go
That's way too much for Kane

A new #1 goalie is a must
A proven top 3 dman is a must
Another top 6 forward is a must

Reactions: lilidk

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would like to get rid of Copp, Holl and Perron and use that money on Stamkos or Lindholm. Resign Kane, Ghost, Seider and Raymond. Go after a UFA defenseman then sell the farm for Tkachuk or Bertuzzi back for cheap. We have almost 14M tied up in Perron,Holl and Copp. This is a terrible use of cap space.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Is it realistic to get rid of Copp though? Trade him to like Chicago/San Jose with a sweetener maybe?

San Jose maybe more likely with them having a massive rebuild infront of them. But of course that could be a team Copp has on his no trade list.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Let Perron, Sprong, Reimer, and Ghost walk.

Deal or buyout: Holl

Trade: Fabbri (1mil retained), Maata (1mil retained), Veleno Rights

Re-sign RFA: Seider & Ray (hopefully in the range of 8x8 for both. Ray be a little less, Mo a little more). Re-up Berggy (1 x 1.25) and Aljo (2x 1mil).

Resign UFA: Kane (2x5mil) if he is interested. Fischer 1.25

Callup: Aljo, 1 of Danielson or Kasper, 1 of Mazur or Soderblom

Non Tradeables: I'd deal Copp, Petry and Husso if I could but I don't think that is realistic so I'm saying we are stuck with all 3.

Trade or Sign: Top a 4 dman. Ideally I'd look for someone that has a couple of years left like a Trouba but he also has a very high cap hit. Pesce is a UFA I'd look at. So we might have a little more money to play with at forward if we find a cheaper option on defense.

I'm not thrilled with the forward group as I feel it is very light overall. Ray might be our most physical forward which I think is a problem. We might actually be better off trying to deal for someone like Buch than resign Kane. Mazur and Kasper might fit better too as they add more physicality than Danielson and Soder.

1713280181652.png

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Let Perron, Sprong, Reimer, and Ghost walk.

Deal or buyout: Holl

Trade: Fabbri (1mil retained), Maata (1mil retained), Veleno Rights

Re-sign RFA: Seider & Ray (hopefully in the range of 8x8 for both. Ray be a little less, Mo a little more). Re-up Berggy (1 x 1.25) and Aljo (2x 1mil).

Resign UFA: Kane (2x5mil) if he is interested. Fischer 1.25

Callup: Aljo, 1 of Danielson or Kasper, 1 of Mazur or Soderblom

Non Tradeables: I'd deal Copp, Petry and Husso if I could but I don't think that is realistic so I'm saying we are stuck with all 3.

Trade or Sign: Top a 4 dman. Ideally I'd look for someone that has a couple of years left like a Trouba but he also has a very high cap hit. Pesce is a UFA I'd look at. So we might have a little more money to play with at forward if we find a cheaper option on defense.

I'm not thrilled with the forward group as I feel it is very light overall. Ray might be our most physical forward which I think is a problem. We might actually be better off trying to deal for someone like Buch than resign Kane. Mazur and Kasper might fit better too as they add more physicality than Danielson and Soder.

View attachment 852758

I've been wondering when folks would get to moving Fabbri. For all of the hate Copp gets, Fabbri plays fewer minutes and gets burned more often while not producing significantly more. Those Fabbri minutes also look really nice for moving a kid into the team gradually and in a role that will give him plenty of opportunities to succeed while not being in a spot to get burned (controlled ES minutes, and a good chunk of power play time).

now watch us make the playoffs and fabbri puts up something crazy like 16 points in 10 games :laugh:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
A recency effect here but on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being extremely hate, how much do we hate Suzuki's contract?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
It will be an interesting off season in Detroit. We had the 7th oldest team in the league. One of the luckiest teams in terms of shooting percentage, towards the bottom in both shots for and shots against per game. With the season over after tonight’s game, Detroit’s missing the playoffs streak remains the 2nd longest in the league. Hopefully next season will look more like a rebuild with giving some roles to younger players. Signing (overpriced) mediocre veterans to almost make the playoffs is something almost any team in the league could do.

Goalies – Cost this team quite a few games. Cossa has had a great year, hopefully he can be ready sometime next year.

Husso – Can’t handle a starters workload. Decent 1B or good backup

Lyon – See Husso

Reimer – Was great in some games but not good overall. He won’t be back next year.

Defense – Too many #4/5/6 defensemen, not enough players who can eat minutes effectively.

Seider – Legit 1D, will be signing a long term contract

Edvinsson – Looks solid, will likely be a top 4 D for a while if he can clean up his turnovers and puck management. Not sure he has the offensive IQ to be a huge point getter. Should’ve been in the NHL all season.

Walman – Serviceable top 4D, can’t count on him to play more than 60 games a year.

Gostisbehere – Powerplay QB, not sure he was needed this season, Seider is fine on PP1. Liability at even strength. He will be gone.

Petry – Barely an NHL player at this point. Should be the 7th D.

Chariot – 3rd pair D, played on the first pair, not a winning player. On a terrible contract that is unmovable.

Maatta- 3rd pair D, would rather play a young player but he’s solid in this role.

Holl – Another terrible contract. Disaster of a signing before the ink was dry.

Forwards – Need some elite talent, old forward group. Not sure how you acquire another top 6 center and entire 2nd line if Kane leaves.

Raymond – Took a step this year, hope he can take another step next year. 1st line winger with Panarin like potential if he continues to get stronger and faster.

Larkin – 1st line center but needs more help upfront if he’s to be a 1st line center on a playoff team. Needs to stay healthy. Not getting any younger.

Kane – Was great, doesn’t sound like he will be staying in Detroit. Will be a huge loss.

Debrincat- Good top 6 winger

Compher – Solid middle 6 center, wasn’t able to be a top 6 center on a playoff team.

Perron – Solid veteran, great on the PP early but tailed off. Liability 5v5. Too slow. Wouldn’t mind him back but time to play younger guys.

Sprong – Solid depth player, wouldn’t mind him back.

Rasmussen – Solid 3/4C.

Copp- Another disaster FA signing

Fabbri –inconsistent but will be back because of his contract. One player a younger forward could replace.

Fischer – Servicable 4th liner who was played too much. Should be a 12th forward if the team wants to make the playoffs.

Veleno – 4th line center but young and can skate, I have time for Veleno

Berggren – Got yanked around by Yzerman and co and requested a trade. Don’t blame him, doubt he’s back

Czarnik – A team with so much veteran depth and alleged great prospect pool played Czarnik for 30 games lol

Not sure where this team goes from here, should’ve played the kids more this year.

Berggren/Mazur/Kasper/Soderblom would’ve had some rookie warts, but after 10 games, they would’ve been infinitely better than Copp/Fischer/Czarnik. And we missed the playoffs anyways.

At minimum, this team needs a starting goalie, a top 6 forward, and a top 4 dman if they want to remain in the playoff hunt.

Reactions: Filppula

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont think the high ups in the org are anywhere near as high on our prospect pool as the fans and the media are.

I think we relied on some pretty insane luck for the first 60 games (i.e. the shooting percentage was kinda stupid).

I think Seider, Raymond, and Edvinsson will keep improving. Walman, Larkin, DeBrincat, and Rasmussen will all remain the players they are. I think everyone else on the roster will gradually get worse. There isn't a single UFA I want to keep except Kane (Im assuming Sprong will want term this time, and hes exactly the sort of player you shouldnt give any term to), and unfortunately Kane seems most likely to be gone.

I really don't know how to feel about the future of this team. I kinda wanna just see the team make a decision. You either believe in your prospects and you're ready to start embracing the youth, or you aren't as high on them as everyone else seems to be, and you trade them all away for legit good NHL talent.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Not sure why people think Kane won't be back, if anything, I expect him to be back, maybe at a higher salary but he seems like he enjoyed playing here, and he has already won 3 cups in his career, so it's not like he's still chasing it.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I feel like Raymond just earned himself an extra $1M a year over the past month. Where do you folks think he lands with the expected jump in cap? $7.5M - $8.5M AAV? Seems hard to imagine getting him and Seider under $16M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad