Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I'm looking for a easy way out of Holl that doesn't involve retaining money and sending a pick or prospect to another team. Does Abby's buyout come off the books this offseason?
Two more years.
kade.png

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
1... we need to get a goalie who an reliably play 55 games a season until Cossa can (so at least 2 more seasons)

2. We need to substantially upgrade our top 3 on the blueline via trade or free agency

3. SE needs to be the among the top 4 other blueline from day one

4. We need a proven top 6 forward AND resign Kane

5. One of Kasper, Danielson or Mazur need to make the roster from day one

6. Holl, Ghost, Fabbri, Perron and Husso need to be gone
Agreed, don't know how but I'd try for Ullmark or Saros. I'd like to see Pecse for a dman but pretty much agree on it all.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Maybe see if Dubas still has a thing for Holl, might need to retain some, but I would happily do it.

Retaining say 25-33% wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't want to send a pick/prospect with him. So maybe I would retain 50% if a expiring contract came back to us.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Retaining say 25-33% wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't want to send a pick/prospect with him. So maybe I would retain 50% if a expiring contract came back to us.

Honestly...why not?

We have 4 Dmen not good enough eating valuable cap space and roster spots

Petry
Holl
Chariot
Matta

Something has to give here to improve this team outside of just waiting contracts out or press boxing money

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Honestly...why not?

We have 4 Dmen not good enough eating valuable cap space and roster spots

Petry
Holl
Chariot
Matta

Something has to give here to improve this team outside of just waiting contracts out or press boxing money

Because over the next 2-3 year's the Wings will improve to a solid playoff team and when you're picking 24th-32nd those types of players available at that stage of the draft take an easy 3-5 year's to develop. So it will be unlikely we get early development Ala Larkin from those spots because 75% of the league has to miss those picks.

Over the next 2-3 year's when we are picking say 14th-23rd they will be the last picks we make that can hit the roster before the end of their first contracts. So I would be very conservative in doling them out for roster mistake signings.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Because over the next 2-3 year's the Wings will improve to a solid playoff team and when you're picking 24th-32nd those types of players available at that stage of the draft take an easy 3-5 year's to develop. So it will be unlikely we get early development Ala Larkin from those spots because 75% of the league has to miss those picks.

Over the next 2-3 year's when we are picking say 14th-23rd they will be the last picks we make that can hit the roster before the end of their first contracts. So I would be very conservative in doling them out for roster mistake signings.
Ahhh ok

So no interest to improve the team before that then? We will not bench holl, maata, petry and husso and we eill not improve with them still all on the roster

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Ahhh ok

So no interest to improve the team before that then? We will not bench holl, maata, petry and husso and we eill not improve with them still all on the roster

Petry is fine is a #7 and has 1 year left. Maata is a expiring contract and might not be back if Steve has faith Al Jo is ready for the show. Husso again has 1 year remaining and isn't vital to get rid of. Holl of the three is here for longer than 1 year so yes I would look into moving him, but with are prospect contracts isn't worth losing one unless it's a B or C value prospect, but when you look at us to move into the middle of the league we won't see high quality picks much longer and could effect the team much more so then 1 year of a bum deal.

Copp wouldn't surprise me to be a buyout when Abby's deal falls off the books, but I would prefer it not be done until he has 2 years remaining. So it isn't on our cap hit for more than 4 year's, though in all honesty, it would be best if he was bought out in his final year so he is only on the books for 2.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Petry is fine is a #7 and has 1 year left. Maata is a expiring contract and might not be back if Steve has faith Al Jo is ready for the show. Husso again has 1 year remaining and isn't vital to get rid of. Holl of the three is here for longer than 1 year so yes I would look into moving him, but with are prospect contracts isn't worth losing one unless it's a B or C value prospect, but when you look at us to move into the middle of the league we won't see high quality picks much longer and could effect the team much more so then 1 year of a bum deal.

Copp wouldn't surprise me to be a buyout when Abby's deal falls off the books, but I would prefer it not be done until he has 2 years remaining. So it isn't on our cap hit for more than 4 year's, though in all honesty, it would be best if he was bought out in his final year so he is only on the books for 2.

Just make copp available at around 3.5 and be done with it. Why wait a year to buy him out and be stuck with a cap hit for 4 years which equals 5 years basically with copp on the books

We can afford to do such moves now with cheap contracts coming up

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Maybe SY will shock us all and get a hockey deal done with Calgary this summer, Calgary is looking to get out of $6M goalie contract...and they are short a few picks in 2025 and could use a righty D...something like

To Wings

Jacob Markstrom (+6m 2 years)

To Flames

Justin Holl (+3.4M 2 years)
Detroit 2025 4th round pick (from Bruins) or if we must, wings 3rd.

SY would have to find a taker for Husso if he needs to find some space or waive him and assign to GR until an injury to the one of Markstrom or Lyons.

I think Cossa will at the very least find some time for a cup of coffee next year with the wings and be the full time 1B the next year (2026), so Markstrom would be here until Cossa is hopefully more or less ready for 1A duties.

The move actually costs the wings money, but the short term 1A goalie would hopefully be solved and should make the wings more consistent and not block Cossa unduly.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Maybe SY will shock us all and get a hockey deal done with Calgary this summer, Calgary is looking to get out of $6M goalie contract...and they are short a few picks in 2025 and could use a righty D...something like

To Wings

Jacob Markstrom (+6m 2 years)

To Flames

Justin Holl (+3.4M 2 years)
Detroit 2025 4th round pick (from Bruins) or if we must, wings 3rd.

SY would have to find a taker for Husso if he needs to find some space or waive him and assign to GR until an injury to the one of Markstrom or Lyons.

I think Cossa will at the very least find some time for a cup of coffee next year with the wings and be the full time 1B the next year (2026), so Markstrom would be here until Cossa is hopefully more or less ready for 1A duties.

The move actually costs the wings money, but the short term 1A goalie would hopefully be solved and should make the wings more consistent and not block Cossa unduly.

Markstrom will cost more than that, like a good deal more.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Don't keep any of the UFAs. The team isn't good enough to warrant bringing them all back. Except maybe Fischer at his old deal.

We need a 2nd pairing RD to play with Ed
We need two 2nd line wingers (Burger + someone not Perron or Kane or Sprong or Fabbri)
We need to allow Cossa to compete for a spot

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't keep any of the UFAs. The team isn't good enough to warrant bringing them all back. Except maybe Fischer at his old deal.

We need a 2nd pairing RD to play with Ed
We need two 2nd line wingers (Burger + someone not Perron or Kane or Sprong or Fabbri)
We need to allow Cossa to compete for a spot

Fischer definitely should be back. He is good in his role. I don't think it makes sense for use to bring Kane back at the expected rise in price though.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Alex DeBrincat has the best 5 on 5 goal differential of any forward on the team. I want more players that outscore the opposition, not less.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
A lot of lofty hopes and dreams I’m seeing with the free agent names here. Nothing Yzerman has done in the past has indicated a big offseason signing. When they had money in recent years they were pulling mid-tier guys. With having to re-sign Seider and Raymond, I don’t think there will be enough to get a top player. Also, I don’t think Kane re-signs if they miss the playoffs (why would he?), but if he does, you’re DEFINITELY not signing any player of value. Also please don’t re-sign Perron, even at league minimum.

Really only short term solution would be to trade/buyout these brutal contracts. I dont see Yzerman doing that either, and don’t necessarily think he should. Probably best to just suck it up until they expire.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Get a decent right shot D, a real NHL starting goalie, and then bring up the kids. No more placeholder vets that block the future while not being particularly good.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Maybe Stevie can sign Pesce and Sam Rinehart (wishful thinking I know) in the summer. We could use more scoring and a defenseman.
Let Perron, Reimer, and Ghost walk, find a sucker to trade Holl to, maybe re-sign Sprong and Kane if the prices are decent.

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe Stevie can sign Pesce and Sam Rinehart (wishful thinking I know) in the summer. We could use more scoring and a defenseman.
Let Perron, Reimer, and Ghost walk, find a sucker to trade Holl to, maybe re-sign Sprong and Kane if the prices are decent.
Depending on Kane I'm not as concerened with scoring, but we need to do something with our backend. Goalie is such a hard postion but we havent had a standout in years and hopefully we have something in our prospects there. Defence and team defence as a whole are something else and I dont see anything there for another couple seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad